Color Change
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Color Change

Color Change

So this is just a superficial question but I wanted everyones opinion. I have been slowly working on the TW to get it the way that I want. Part of that is mechanically and part of that is aesthetically. This post is purely aesthetic (I know some of you will appreciate this). I first purchased the used 2006 with the pictured color scheme. I am not sure how it got that color scheme, as all the 2006 pictures I see have black plastics, not blue. They must have switched them with maybe a 2007 at some time? Anyway, it got me thinking about changing the colors. The front headlight cowling had a huge black gash in it when I bought it so I purchased some white vinyl wrap to re-cover it and it worked out great. As mentioned in other posts, the vinyl wrap process is not real straight forward but with a little patience and a hair dryer, it worked out fine.
    20170219_085204.jpg
    So thinking of the original colors I thought maybe black would be nice for the headlight cowling and the side plastics. I bought a used extra headlight cowling so I could leave the white one the way it was. I found some black vinyl wrap that had a carbon fiber print on it (thought some texture might look good) and applied it to the end result below.
    20170312_164534_small2.jpg
    I am not sure if I am happy with it and since the vinyl wrap is so cheap (about $7 to do the headlight cowling and side plastic) I am considering trying a couple of other schemes. I was thinking of either a gloss black instead of the carbon fiber or a gloss blue to match the rest of the plastics. Soooo, the big question is ....... stay with the white, stay with the carbon fiber, change to gloss black or change to gloss blue? Lets hear it!
    2006 TW200, Shinko 244 4.60-18 Front Tire, Bridgestone TW34 180/80-14 Rear Tire, Cyclerack Rear Rack, Jimbo Windscreen, Krator Footpegs, Coleman Seat Cover, GPS

Go with "desert tan" instead - if Admiral and I do it, it must right.

Some call it "Camel tan"...that just sounds better. (not to be confused with camel toe)
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Quote Originally Posted by 1911garand View Post
    Go with "desert tan" instead - if Admiral and I do it, it must right.

Some call it "Camel tan"...that just sounds better. (not to be confused with camel toe)
    ImaPoser.gif
    1911garand, STW_TW200 and Moabman like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think the 2006 actual was the blue color your showing. I had a 2005 and it was black.

Colors are so hard to advise for another person. The carbon fiber wrap you've done on the cowl and side cover do look kind of cool though I would never have thought about using that. I tried using a tan vinyl wrap and started with the front fender. Even with a hair dryer, it was way too difficult for me (read no patience) and I abandoned the thought.

If I had a blue TW like you do, I would have left my this color, I like that blue. However, I like the black carbon over the white plastics with your blue.

However, I did go the way 1911garand mentions and like this color too, especially since I live in a desert or very close to it! I used rattle can camo tan. Easy to touch up when I get a scratch. I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to paint so rattle can doesn't bother me.

1911garand, Ken and STW_TW200 like this.

The black looks more integrated into the existing graphics. Notice how the "swoosh" from the gas tank transitions nicely into the black side cover. The white is a bit jarring as-is but might work if softened by using black or blue on the lower halves of the side covers and coming up with something to break up the white chunk of a cowl. just my 2c. In the meantime keep having fun and posting pix!
    STW_TW200, admiral and Fred like this.

Either way looks good to me but If I picking one or the other I'd go with the black carbon look. Seems more seamless and fitting to the bike to me
    STW_TW200 likes this.
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    2003 Polaris Sportsman 500
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post

Awesome anti-theft device!
    Ken, BkCntryCrwlr, admiral and 1 others like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

That Stillwater bike sure is handsome either way. The blue JimboShield sure is stunning on a blue bike. 20170312_164534_small2.jpg
    Were that beauty mine I would lose the headlight grill, buy, or paint headlight cowling a matching blue and locate '06 decals for the cowling that match the tank.
    As Columbanus points out the extended "swoosh" of the black side cover is a very nice continuation of a theme..
    STW_TW200 likes this.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

I love subdued colors, and the black blends well. I like the black!
    STW_TW200 and admiral like this.

Great feedback and I appreciate all the comments. Its funny reading the comments because I have had almost all of these thoughts before and it makes me feel better that others do too. 1911 and Admiral, I have thought of doing the "Camel Tan" before but I do really like the blue color when it is (rarely) washed up and cleaned. Fred, that is a great idea about the decals. Also, I did actually remove the grill from the headlight. I saw a post about it and literally an hour later walked past one at the store. Removed it because I didn't like the look that much on my bike (looked better on others). Fred & Columbanus, about the black being part of the tank "swoosh", I agree and thought that it helped to tie the rest of the bike in with the tank. Keep the comments coming and I appreciate the pictures to go along with them. My wife loved the picture of the "anti-theft device"!
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    2006 TW200, Shinko 244 4.60-18 Front Tire, Bridgestone TW34 180/80-14 Rear Tire, Cyclerack Rear Rack, Jimbo Windscreen, Krator Footpegs, Coleman Seat Cover, GPS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links