Duro power grip, and the legality of running in on the road....
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Duro power grip, and the legality of running in on the road....

Duro power grip, and the legality of running in on the road....

So I've got the duro, and I've got the stock tire off the rim. Going to have to bring it to the shop to have it mounted. Has anyone had any problems with inspection? Do you worry about "getting caught" while you are on the road? As always, thanks for the input.

In Mass I might, the PO of my KDX200 got it street titled with a brake light and left mirror here in Mi. I have talked to a few LEO while on my various bikes (not pulled over, thankfully) and they dont give anything a second look if I am properly permitted and plated for what and where I am riding.
    Spawner and centralwarider like this.
    2002 TW200
    1998 DR350
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Fortunately, California has no annual inspection requirements for motorcycles (or for cars either), so I never worried much about riding on road with my Duro.

For some strange and unexplained reason, here is how my Duro was marked !

100_5095.JPG
    Elvesus, kj7687, Mattwings and 8 others like this.
    site:tw200forum.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

No problems in MN with ATV rear tires - LEOs don't care and no inspections.
    Spawner likes this.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

I worry to a certain extent about the Duro's legality. However riding responsibly will likely defuse most officer's desire to give you a close scrutiny. A little respect goes a long way with those who have daily experience dealing with the public's B.S.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

I live in Mass and i from time to time run a Duro on mine. Your mileage may vary but i personally have not had an issue. First off i do not run the Duro all the time, only when i know im going off road in the muck. I have another wheel with a TW34 on it ready to go so i can swap them out whenever i want. I have also never been pulled over with or without it so im not sure how a cop would react but i have had cops stopped behind me when i had it on and never been questioned about it. i actually got a wow that is a gnarly tire comment from a local cop at a gas station, he loved it.

When it comes to inspection that can be hit or miss depending on the shop. Some are harder than others. I forgot i even had mine on when i went to have it inspected last year and the first shop( who i know is a stickler but i always go there so it was automatic) laughed and told me to put a DOT legal tire on it the second he saw it, also tole me to wash it too since it was covered in mud. Fast forward 30 min later i stop in the shop in my town who only cares if the lights and horn works and he passed it without question with another gnarly tire comment and asked how it did off road.

Honestly if you are worried about it do what i did and get another wheel off ebay if you can find one for a reasonable price. If you know you will be on the street for a time just put the wheel with the factory tire on the bike and if you know you are getting in the mud etc just trade it out.
    Last edited by jb882; 03-22-2017 at 08:24 PM.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Well I took the duro and my rim down to a local shop this morning. They said they would call later today if they could get it on. They didn't think I would have any issues unless I was stopped for some other reason as previously mentioned above. Just hope it all works out, I'll keep an eye out for a spare wheel I guess
    Mattwings, Dryden-Tdub and ejfranz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawner View Post
    So I've got the duro, and I've got the stock tire off the rim. Going to have to bring it to the shop to have it mounted. Has anyone had any problems with inspection? Do you worry about "getting caught" while you are on the road? As always, thanks for the input.
    Did you trim the bead? I trimmed the bead and it still took some effort at the bike shop to install the Duro on the rim. I then took the wheel home and used the method described in this thread: Seating an ATV tire and the tire seated on the rim fairly easy between 70-80 lbs. I used LOTS of dielectric grease and tire lube. Good luck!!
    As far as the legalities of the tire I figure I will just take my chances as the bike is mainly used off road. I have another rim with an oem tire I will install every second year when the bike needs to be inspected.
    Mattwings and ejfranz like this.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"

09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"

03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"

02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition"

73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's"

I didn't trim the bead. I hadn't gotten a call by 5pm so since I was in the vicinity, I stopped to check in. They got the tire on the rim without a problem but it hadn't seated. It sounds def like they didn't want to run it up past 50#, so there it sits. I'll give that thread a read.

I trimmed the bead, used lots of lube, filled it to 60psi and then put it in my small bathroom with a space heater. It took a few hours but both beads did seat. Room was at about 100+ Ferinheit and the tire did stretch 3-4 inches in diameter.
    2001 TW200, 2015 VStrom XT, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY
    2009 WR250r now with my son

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links