Steve's '87 "day mods"
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Steve's '87 "day mods"

Steve's '87 "day mods"

A friend of mine has a couple of '05 TWs, and we went out riding a while back... what a blast!

So, I picked up this '87 a couple of weeks ago, and I need to make it fit me. I'm 6'4"/260lbs, so a few adjustment are in order.

As far as I can tell, this TW is completely original (including the tires), except for the $26 chinese carburetor installed by the previous owner.

It runs really well, except that it flattens out around 50mph, whereas my friend's bike pulls strong until about 60mph (with me riding it).

After trolling this forum, I've come up with a list of "day mods" (i.e. modifications that can be completed in one day or less), that will suit this bike to my needs.

I grew up exploring the outdoors on a Honda Trail 90 (which I never should have let go), so I have a pretty good idea of what I expect from a trail bike.

I think this TW200 is going to be a LOT of fun!

tw200 - 1.jpg
    Now I must hurry on... for there they go, and I am their leader!

My first project was the front tire. 30 year old tires are risky, so I got the Shinko trials tire that everyone seems to like.

In my younger days I was a bicycle mechanic, and I've changed a LOT of bike tires. Well, a lot more leverage is needed with motorcycle tires, and I pinched (and patched) my new tube 3 times before I finally got it right....

Yes, I'm using real tire spoons.

While I was at it, I replaced the wheel bearings and seals. The brake is in great shape (and doesn't squeal, now that the dust is blown out)!

During the week, I got some cheap oversized foot pegs, and a cycleracks rear rack.

There's plenty of info on installing these items, so no re-hash here.

I'll say though, that the cyclerack install was about the easiest thing I've ever done! Honestly, cutting the packaging off the rack was more difficult than installing it on the bike!

I ordered the flat style rack, and I think it works out nicely.

tw200 rack - 1.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

At my weight, suspension is an issue.

For the front, I got heavy-duty springs from procycle, and filled the tubes to 120mm with 10w fork oil.

Sitting on it, it feels great... but I haven't ridden it yet.

For the rear, I got an '07 rear shock (to get past the early "Canadian" recall issue), and installed a heavy duty baron spring (which I found out about somewhere on this forum).

This coming weekend, I plan to install a new rear tire/tube, new rear wheel bearings, a new Diamond 428HD chain, and the heavy-duty shock, all at the same time.

Here's how it sits today:

Attachment 91953

tw200 rack - 2.jpg
    Last edited by CJ7Pilot; 04-01-2017 at 09:33 AM.

I've also acquired a good XT350 tank that will go on soon... and I intend to add a sight gauge, which will probably be the first real mod of interest in this thread....

You have scored the best and fastest year TW. Sounds like you are doing great with this fine bike.
    littletommy, Ken and Lomax like this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Quote Originally Posted by jtomelliott49 View Post
    You have scored the best and fastest year TW....
    You're the second one to mention that the '87 is a little faster than later models. Why is that?

Is it gearing, carburetion, ignition, or some nebulous combination of factors that just makes it work out that way?

Either way, I'm happy to have found it!
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

I think we figured it was the timing and advance that made it "just" a little bit faster. It is a one year only bike with a different CDI, etc. There was a member here that dyno tested a newer model against the 87 and low and behold, it is a little faster!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ7Pilot View Post
    You're the second one to mention that the '87 is a little faster than later models. Why is that?

Is it gearing, carburetion, ignition, or some nebulous combination of factors that just makes it work out that way?

Either way, I'm happy to have found it!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

If one small act of kindness can change someone's day for the better, think about the difference you could make over the course of a lifetime. Hidden Content

John 10:10 I am come (Jesus) that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

"Honestly, cutting the packaging off the rack was more difficult than installing it on the bike!"

Ha, So True. Who the heck wraps those things. When it arrived I didn't even know what it was.

After several hours spent installing a new rear tire/tube, new rear wheel bearings, a heavy-duty rear shock, and a Diamond 428HD chain... my TW looks the same....

... But it is oh-so-different!

The tire is soft and smooth, and it no longer feels like I'm riding on cobblestones!

The heavier springs (front and rear) worked out great! Before, the rear would sag more than an inch under its own weight, and another 2-3 inches when I sat on it. Now, it doesn't sag at all unloaded, and it sags about an inch when I sit on it. In the front, it sags about 3/4 inch when I sit on it, which may not be optimal, but I figure the springs will settle a bit as I ride it.

A quick ride around the neighborhood proved very comfortable for me.

When I attached the new chain to the old chain and pulled it through, I counted 14 teeth on the front sprocket (stock). The rear sprocket is 50 teeth, so it's geared a little lower than stock (probably a good thing, for me).

tw200 cdi - 3.jpg
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links