New T-Dub Soft Saddle Bag Mounts!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: New T-Dub Soft Saddle Bag Mounts!

New T-Dub Soft Saddle Bag Mounts!

Hi guys!

I was conversing with T-Dubs Kid on YouTube and wanted to reply, but YT doesn't like you inserting links, so then it occurred to me that all you guys here would like to see these too.

I rode to work on my 2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure yesterday and remembered that I had to change the oil in that two wheeled truck as soon as I got home. Trouble is, I only had two quarts of oil and the beast takes a full gallon. After unbolting the belly armor plate, draining the oil and removing the filter, I took the T-Dub out to the next town over (Elk River, MN) to stock up on oil and filters for the BMW. Recently I added custom steel saddle bag frame mounts to the T-Dub, and thought I'd share them with you. They make store runs for stuff much more fun than simply taking the car.

How I made them:
    I bought some 5/16" square steel stock, about 15' of it, from a local steel yard for about $20.00. The idea was to make a lightweight frame that was easier to fit and weld up than using lightweight tubing, and able to be bent back into shape if damaged, which is not possible with tubing since it collapses when bent. Using the vice, I took a length of stock and bent in into the loop that approximates the shape of the saddle bag profile, but is about 1.5" smaller in size than the actual outline of the bag all around. The lengths of steel that attach the loops to the bike were bent to loop around the plastics, then up and over the tool tube and the muffler to reach the bolting location, all without contacting anything. The were shaped using free-form cold bending with the vice and a hammer and anvil. Each shape was adjusted to the correct angle, curve, and length. The vice can be used with a mallet for general shaping, and the brass hammer and anvil table surface can be used for flattening the twists out of a shape or adjusting curvatures using the anvil horn. There are two rods that lead from the loop to the bolt locations on the bike, and one rod runs under the rear subframe, forward of the rear turn signals, and is attached to both loops. 5/8" long sections of thick steel tube were welded to the ends of the two support members, and longer versions f the original bolts were used to secure these ends to the bike.

The frame is sturdy enough to hold the bags away from the muffler and off the plastics. If you dump the bike and bend the frame, you can bend it back with your hands or adjust the shape with some large channel locks in the field, since hot rolled steel is pliable enough. After oxy-gas welding, grinding the welds to make them look better, adjusting the shape during a fit-up, the entire thing was primed and painted with Rustoleum high temp engine enamel paint. The bags are thrown over the top of the subframe, and D-rings on the bags are secured to the frame loops by 6" long rubber coated twist ties you can buy at Menards that are typically used for holding coils of rope or hose for storage. The Givi bags were bought used on eBay for $50.00 in like-new condition.

20170212_161825_zpsmjtpqium.jpg

20170212_161813_zps0qt4df9c.jpg

The Final Product:

20170212_161719_zpsaswdbs1a.jpg
    Last edited by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS; 04-08-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
    (Darius the Engineer)

1944 DKW NZ350-1
    2003 BMW R1150GS Adventure
    2010 Yamaha TW200

Will you be making and selling them to forum members?
    Rockit and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Will you be making and selling them to forum members?
    I'd be interested in buying a set.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Your thinking was parallel to mine, but you have much more elegance and ability with steel. Mine have worked well for several years, so you are indeed good to go.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Central New MexicoHidden Content

I was not going to make a bunch of them, especially since i'm using basic tools to make them. There are noi mass production facilities in my pole shed, just some tools and a guy who is crazily driven to use them. I wish i had the time, but I really don't. If you were to drop your bike off at my place and work alongside me, I'd do it just for fun, the good company, and cost of materials. (hear that 1911 guy in Waconia?) They are custom fit with no guarantee as to precise fit, so what I'd have to charge is too much IMHO. I'd rather have you guys with welding torches make you own and make cool innovations on my prototype design. Gotta think outside the box when fabricating your own farkles. In fact, I was going to make a custom set of bag mounts for a good friend's BMW F650GS, but he died two weeks ago and I'm helping his wife and daughters clean up the mess at the estate. He was my only riding buddy next to my brother. God rest his soul.
    Last edited by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS; 04-10-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
    (Darius the Engineer)

1944 DKW NZ350-1
    2010 Yamaha TW200

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post

Your thinking was parallel to mine, but you have much more elegance and ability with steel. Mine have worked well for several years, so you are indeed good to go.
    I have decades of experience making custom fit suits of medieval and Roman armor, but even so, bending the parts for making bag mounts takes more planning and tweaking than skill. It certainly takes some patience, but the results make you proud. I was first thinking of using flat steel stock like you did, but decided an 5/16" square since I could bending it in multiple planes easier, not just one, which makes it a bit easier to shape. Yours look plenty elegant IMHO and it truly does the job. Kudos!
    littletommy likes this.
    DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
    (Darius the Engineer)

1944 DKW NZ350-1
    2010 Yamaha TW200

Sorry to hear about your friend brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS View Post
    I was not going to make a bunch of them, especially since i'm using basic tools to make them. There are noi mass production facilities in my pole shed, just some tools and a guy who is crazily driven to use them. I wish i had the time, but I really don't. If you were to drop your bike off at my place and work alongside me, I'd do it just for fun, the good company, and cost of materials. (hear that 1911 guy in Waseca?) They are custom fit with no guarantee as to precise fit, so what I'd have to charge is too much IMHO. I'd rather have you guys with welding torches make you own and make cool innovations on my prototype design. Gotta think outside the box when fabricating your own farkles. In fact, I was going to make a custom set of bag mounts for a good friend's BMW F650GS, but he died two weeks ago and I'm helping his wife and daughters clean up the mess at the estate. He was my only riding buddy next to my brother. God rest his soul.
    dette and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS - I'm all ears - what now? (I am just south of you in Waconia).
    Dryden-Tdub and littletommy like this.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Those both look great. Awesome work! If mine didnt come with them already, id be doing the same thing. VERY NICE!
    littletommy and Mfrost like this.

Hey 1911Garand, in a month or so, when my work allows, if you need saddle bag mounts, we can make some for you in my shop in Ramsey, MN. You would need to bring your T-Dub of course. Otherwise there is no way I could guarantee it would fit.
    Last edited by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS; 04-10-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
    (Darius the Engineer)

1944 DKW NZ350-1
    2010 Yamaha TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links