ISO: Full LED Turn signal set up for 2003 TW200 - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: ISO: Full LED Turn signal set up for 2003 TW200

littletommy likes this.

littletommy likes this.

This is what I used,the taillight bracket almost mounts perfectly,I just had to drill the one hole wider to make fit.
    littletommy and Rockit like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Installing the diode will restore the functionality of your indicator light on the dash. Check my previous post for the link of the one I used, or feel free to seek out another
    littletommy likes this.
    2012 TDub - Cycra handguards w/ LED turn signals, WR250 shorty levers, custom high fender, Tusk 30mm bar risers, Krator footpegs, SeatConcepts, Yamaha rack, integrated LED tail light, 5500 LM H4 LED headlamp, DID 428 X-ring, XT225 stainless header, DG-O exhaust, 130 main, 0.04" needle shim, slide drilled 1/16", pilot 2.25 turns out

I figured that. I was saying I don't mind it not working currently. I will swap a diode in change the front signals to something that I can't see in the daytime.

Quote Originally Posted by mckee1710 View Post
    Installing the diode will restore the functionality of your indicator light on the dash. Check my previous post for the link of the one I used, or feel free to seek out another
    Where is that one at?

Quote Originally Posted by Iaintlikeu View Post
    This is what I used,the taillight bracket almost mounts perfectly,I just had to drill the one hole wider to make fit.
    Current Stable:
    2003 Yamaha TW200 - running and on the road
    1981 Yamaha XS650 (heavily modified) - not running at the moment, again
    1996 Honda VT1100 ACE - running and on the road
    1986 Harley Evo hardtail (custom title frame) - Not running at the moment

bought on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Iaintlikeu View Post
    bought on ebay
    Yessir!
    littletommy likes this.
    Current Stable:

You know, I was looking at possibly simplifying the dash on there as well, but the one thing that has me wondering is that you say you get flash when you have an incandescent indicator light, but not when you have a LED bulb it doesn't work. Maybe someone will know this, but incandescent bulbs will work on AC without needing to be converted into DC, meaning that the incandescent can have current flowing from either side of its circuit.

Once again, not a wiring or electrical guy, but does the TW200 have the flashers hooking into the indicator light from opposite sides of its circuit? Are LEDs not AC friendly? If not, could that be rectified with a simple AC friendly LED indicator bulb?

Alright so the front signals on my handguards are just LED strips I got here and mounted myself. I just capped the running light wire for the front signals, but you could probably run that along with a separate ground to those aux lights on your headlight fairing assembly. My tailight/turn signal unit I got here it has held up surprisingly well. I fabbed a mount with a piece of flat bar aluminum and two corner brackets, nothin to it.

The full LED conversion requires a few more mods to get everything working properly. You'll need to 1) swap the stock mechanical flasher unit for an electronic one and 2) wire in a diode between the turn signal indicator bulb on the dash and the positive leads running to each of the two front signals. This is to account for the drastically decreased resistance the turn signal circuit now has due to the LED's. I got my electronic flasher from NAPA (couldn't find it online), but any 2 prong, electronic flasher relay will do. I believe they make ones that have the same pigtail plug the stock flasher uses, so you can just plug n play, like this one. The diode I got here and the install is pretty straightforward, just wire in the diode between the indicator bulb and the two positive wires running from the bulb to each turn signal, then ground to ground.

Also of note, in my experience this setup only works with an incandescent indicator bulb, I tried an LED and got no flash, just constant illumination. Again, must have something to do with resistance and backfeed through the circuit, but I'm not exactly sure. Anyway, that's about it. Let me know how it works out and if you have any other questions.
    Current Stable:

Alright so the front signals on my handguards are just LED strips I got here and mounted myself. I just capped the running light wire for the front signals, but you could probably run that along with a separate ground to those aux lights on your headlight fairing assembly. My tailight/turn signal unit I got here it has held up surprisingly well. I fabbed a mount with a piece of flat bar aluminum and two corner brackets, nothin to it.

The full LED conversion requires a few more mods to get everything working properly. You'll need to 1) swap the stock mechanical flasher unit for an electronic one and 2) wire in a diode between the turn signal indicator bulb on the dash and the positive leads running to each of the two front signals. This is to account for the drastically decreased resistance the turn signal circuit now has due to the LED's. I got my electronic flasher from NAPA (couldn't find it online), but any 2 prong, electronic flasher relay will do. I believe they make ones that have the same pigtail plug the stock flasher uses, so you can just plug n play, like this one. The diode I got here and the install is pretty straightforward, just wire in the diode between the indicator bulb and the two positive wires running from the bulb to each turn signal, then ground to ground.

Also of note, in my experience this setup only works with an incandescent indicator bulb, I tried an LED and got no flash, just constant illumination. Again, must have something to do with resistance and backfeed through the circuit, but I'm not exactly sure. Anyway, that's about it. Let me know how it works out and if you have any other questions.
    Alright, so I bought the same tail light you're running. I have a couple of questions and a picture request. Once again, I'm not a wiring guy and I loathe it. I'm assuming the 2 yellow wires on the light are the turn signal wires. It would have been nice if they sent a wire identification guide or something for the light at least.

In case anyone buys this tail light...
    These are the wires it has, what they are and which wire they go to on the harness:
    Black - Ground - Black
    Green - Hot/running light - Blue Plug
    Red - Brake light - Yellow Plug
    Yellow and Yellow - Left and Right Turn signals - Green and Brown plugs (you'll have to figure those out on your own)

Also, any chance I could see your tail light mount that you made? Did you just use the tiny light screws? I was thinking of just using a piece of 1/8" angle iron. I'm sure I have a few pieces laying around somewhere.
    Last edited by BigJimmyW13; 04-19-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    Current Stable:

I just ordered 1157 LED bulbs for mine to make them brighter and 1156 LED bulbs for the rear. I do not need to put resisters in or change the flasher. I should have them by this weekend and will update you all on how much brighter the LED's are.
    littletommy likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links