TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adding a Kickstarter

77K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Idaho 
#1 ·
Well I was at the dealer today to get the last pieces of my kickstart conversion and the parts guy had to go look in a kit to find a part number....what I say, a kit. Yes. I did not get the part # but my dealer had a tw200 kick start conversion kit. I asked how much it was and they quoted $218.00. Ouch. Well anyway I thought I would let people know that there is in fact a Yamaha kickstart kit now available.

Idaho04

Moderator Note: See the last thread here for clarification on "Kits"

#2 ·
Well I was at the dealer today to get the last pieces of my kickstart conversion and the parts guy had to go look in a kit to find a part number....what I say, a kit. Yes. I did not get the part # but my dealer had a tw200 kick start conversion kit. I asked how much it was and they quoted $218.00. Ouch. Well anyway I thought I would let people know that there is in fact a Yamaha kickstart kit now available.

Idaho04

I post alot, and I am NO EXPERT, just someone that has a TW and it seems, lots of time on my hands. We have been all over the place when it comes to kickstart conversions. Idaho's dealer may have presented a 'brand new option', but I think not.

Getting a kick-start on your newer TW is certainly 'still' an option, but it has been and likely will be a mix and match. I was told, no "TW KIT" is made..... You can get most parts from the XT225 (kit) and buy the others separately. I bought all as individual parts and the mod cost me about $175 a couple of years ago.

I am not suggesting I am better, smarter or in anyway a step-up from Mr. Idaho04, it's just that so much has been presented about the K=starter and the follow-up is minimal.

With luck, Idaho has placed an order for the "kit" and you all will get a chance to see if something new has been presented. If not, I hope Idaho04 will provide in detail what you now need to do to add a kick starter to your TW. The Kick is a neat option for sure. Gerry

#3 ·
I actually got my parts used and did it that way, but I needed a few NEW parts, gasket and oil seal, and got those from the dealer. Im sure the kit is a Yamaha part because he pulled the kit out and it was one box with everything except the knuckle for the kick starter because it was too fat. The box was sealed with a yamaha part sticker. I have read that you can piece these together and much cheaper but thought I would share my experience. I read most of all the info to be had here on the retrofit before I started, made it much easier, knowledge is power. I wasn't advocating for spending the extra $$ but if someone wanted to it is an easy option. Thanks to everyone here for your experience on what is needed, makes my mistakes fewer and less expensive.

Harlan

#4 ·
#5 ·
Pgilles, thanks for bringing that information back to the front.

I am neither a Bragard nor a Fool, but to make it easier for most, let me present you with this; THERE IS NO TW KICK STARTER KIT.............. You can get a kit (not TW) that will supply 'most' of the parts but not all. The lever in the "kit" will not work on the TW without lots of heat and bending. I 'think' a TW lever is about $60. Why buy most of the parts and then 'throw' one away and spend $60 to replace it?

Am I certain, yes (to this degree). I shopped, ordered, re-ordered and installed all the parts needed to put a K-start on my 06.

If you can prove me wrong by inputting one "part" number and getting "ALL" the parts to install a kick starter on a TW I will send you a "Money Order" or "PayPal" you $100.....

You need to post, and provide me with an unaltered invoice with only one part number related to kickstarter, and of course, that part number should be traceable/varifiable at any Yamaha shop or website.

I have NO PROBLEM spending this kind of money to dispel what I think to be a myth. In my opinion, this 'kit concept' has so many folks hoping for something that does not and need not exist. Do some pretty basic price shopping. Look at the parts break down on many vendors sites. Right now, you have an engine with a plastic plug in a hole. You need all the other stuff that is "kick-start" related and the list is posted in a link above. So what if you order some unneeded $3.00 part, the objective it being able to k-start your engine. You can do it........... YOu can!!! Gerry

#6 ·
I am willing to eat my words....I was told 3 times it was a TW kit until I made them give me the part numbers. It is an XT kit. For anyone who wants it the part numbers are:

KIT 3RW-W0795-00

Boss 54G-15621-00

As mrgizmow
has stated it is cheaper to buy the parts individually. The kit can be a good reference for anyone on what parts to order but dont waste your money.

Harlan

#8 ·
I don't want anyone to eat anything but a good meal (
). What I would like to see us do is document the parts needed, indicate once and for all, that the only kit is one for the XT and that that kick lever is not a viable option for the TW. With this then clearly stated, make it a "sticky" in TECH. Now folks in the future will be less likely to chase their tails in search of the 'imaginary' TW kit. My hope as well, is then most will be more comfortable with the parts ordering process. Gerry

#9 ·
I think it's acceptable to say there are two options here:

• Buy the XT kit and supplement it with a TW/BW200 kicker assembly (just ordering the crank kick boss as stated above, yamaha p/n 54G-15621-00-00, will NOT work without modification as stated here: http://tw200forum.com/forums/2/17713/ShowPost.aspx in dxnomad's 09-12-2007, 6:10 PM post), or the other option being
  • Buy the individual parts from the list above. (keeping in mind adding the case gasket and clutch locking washer might be a good idea)

#10 ·
I'm quite sure that the kickstarter is the same for the Yamaha AG200 (Australian farm bike) as it is for the TW200.

If prices are prohibitive, I can do a wee digging to see what things cost here (like the kickstarter lever, for example). There are many AG200's being wrecked.

#11 ·
Well I just ordered the "kit" (moderator note: this is not a kit, it is an order of individual parts) from Ron Ayers. Here is the list with prices:

Code:
232963  15A-15660-01-00 KICK AXLE ASY $46.24 

1058810 90468-26122-00  CLIP $2.64

232964  15A-15666-00-00 SPACER $4.06

560801  401-15676-00-00 COVER,SPRING $1.81

1061687 90508-26538-00  SPRING,TORSION $3.44

1141580 99009-17400-00  CIRCLIP $0.44

232961  15A-15651-01-00 GEAR,KICK IDLE $24.14

520581  36X-15641-00-00 GEAR,KICK $24.62

1046792 90201-173F4-00  WASHER,PLATE $2.04

1046806 90201-175F6-00  WASHER,PLATE $1.26

1047942 90209-17226-00  WASHER,SPEC'L SHAP $2.35

1048262 90214-17028-00  WASHER,CLAW $2.15

1109663 93102-17263-00  OIL SEAL,SD-TYPE $3.68

1341567 54G-15620-01-00 KICK CRANK ASSY $58.32

181704  132-18113-01-00 COVER,SHIFT PEDAL $1.78

1050697 90338-18014-00  PLUG,SPEC'L SHAPE $2.46

1134138 97017-08030-00  BOLT,HEXAGON $1.41

Parts that may need replacement:

665862 4BE-15462-00-00 GASKET,CRCS CVR 3 $8.60

1048396 90215-14186-00 WASHER,LOCK $3.22

1111036 93210-48364-00 O-RING $0.77

1048396 90215-14186-00 WASHER,LOCK $3.22

total was about $180

Edit: Adding extra parts as I find them!

#12 ·
Updates/Clarification:

I have editing this thread to clean it up and removed some of the conversation stuff and bad links. Hopefully I haven’t altered the essence of the thread.

There is reference to a “kick starter kit” in this thread.

1) The kit listed by Yamaha dealers is for an XT not for a TW. It has parts that cannot be used (kicker lever). It can be made to use if you supplement with additional parts.

2) There are “kits” sold on eBay that are essentially a preassembled group of individual parts put together by the seller – you need to confirm that the correct parts are included as it is not a Yamaha assembled kit

3) The individual parts list shown in this thread has all the parts needed (except for the error noted below) and some people refer to this at the "kit", which it is not.

Error:

The original parts list in dxnomad’s writeup shown here:

Parts List Addendumlists the clutch nut part number as 90215-14168. My dealer found this to be an error and the part number that I order and worked great was 90215-14186.

Observations:

-Others and myself have found that it is not necessary to remove the electric starter. The bolts do not even need to be loosened

-When the kicker is installed it will bottom out again the peg, this appears to be normal.

-some parts may be reused at your personal discretion like the clutch nut or c-clips, however it’s pretty cheap insurance to use new ones – especially the c-clips.

-all in my individual parts cost $376 Canadian, some have noted they cost $180US.

Reactions: Kevinwa
#13 ·
No Joke, I went in to Bay Area Yamaha today asked for a kick starter kit for my TW200 Ron went to the back and handed me a box here you go complete with great instructions, $179. I asked about installing it he told me 1 hour. I gave him my bike and said here you go. He has more but the supply is currently limited. You can call 1-888-660-7766 or 541-756-1278. End of discussion no add ons no searching for some elusive part done.

THIS KIT IS EXCLUSIVE TO BAY AREA YAMAHA

jeeprt,

Maxxis bighorn, FMF, Rickoshey, Jimbo Shield, YZ front fender, and on and on

#14 ·
Great to have all these NEWBIES letting us know about the kickstarter kit from Bay Area Yamaha, with telephone number no less........... Today I gave Ron a call at Bay Area Yamaha. Seems Ron has connections in Japan where Yamaha does offer a kit for the TW. He indicated that he also includes some instructions to help a bit with the install. This does seem to be a unique opportunity and suggests that "this kit" will only be available through this particular source. Gerry

Given the price, I would say "jump on this while they are available"

#15 ·
As long as the kit includes the proper TW kick lever, ol' Ron deserves a ton of buisiness for going the extra mile on this.

#16 ·
Ron indicated that this is an 'official kit' for the TW225 sold in Japan. Our conversation was cut short. Not sure if we got dis-connected or he hung-up on me (sometimes I use my 'outside' voice on the phone and folks think I am shouting
). My thought is 'this is the real thing' and I will give Ron a "Missing Link" award for thinking 'Outside The Box'. Gerry

#18 ·
I traded my Honda Shadow for a new T-Dub (a dirt bike makes a lot more sense up here in the Santa Cruz Mountains, a mile up a dirt road and that far from my nearest neighbor). Problem is, I've found myself forgetting to immediately turn the key off when I stop and put the kick-stand down and I worry that I'm not going to catch this oversight and end up with a dead battery and a PITA moment.

I've looked at and copied almost every post regarding putting this machine back where it always should have been, and checked out the options -- I know I want a kick starter on this baby. There is a used XT set on eBay for $60, but it needs the idler for another $16 and then I still don't have a kick lever for another $68, and a few small parts and gaskets for $25 to make it all work -- $169, plus shipping.

Here's that used assembly:

So I started shopping and found that the "kit" comes with everything one needs to do the job. Here's the kit photo from Yamaha.

A previous poster (sorry I can't give attribution but I've looked at too many posts over the past couple of days) bought the kit and considered buyng the 1999 T-Dub Kick Crank Boss, PN 54G-15621-00-00 to replace the XT Boss on the kicker that comes with the kit(the kick cranks are identical)but he did a modification instead. I like the idea of using a T-Dub boss with the lever and the rest of the goodies in the kit (PN 3RW-W0795-000), so that's the way I went. Here is the drawing of the XT kicker assembly and the T-Dub kicker.

I found good prices for the parts at Cycle Parts Warehouse (recommended by another member)and almost bought them there for $188.21 but then I checked for a discount code and found one for the XT225 kit on Cycle Parts Warehouse at Xtreme PowerSports http://www.partforyamaha.com/ and decided to price the kit and boss there. The total was a surprising $149.69, delivered. Guess which way I went.

Anyway, the parts are en route from NJ and I'll shoot some pix as progress is made.

#19 ·
Drat! Wish I'd have looked in Customization before I did my "extensive" research on the subject of kick starters for the T-Dub. If I had of, I'd have found the post on the complete kit from Japan posted by JEEPRT, http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/4052-kick-starter-kit-by-bay-area-yamaha/. This would have saved me a ton of work, albeit at the cost of the additional $60 this kit costs, delivered. Oh well, I'll go ahead and complete this post as it might be of use to a brother/sister who is really pinching the pennies.

#20 ·
Okay, I finally got the kickstart kit I ordered on 8/8 - not too bad I guess. The TW200 boss came two weeks ago but they thought the kit would not arrive until min-October - I'm ahead of the game, right.

The kit is complete as shown on the previous photo (no cable-whatever that was for) and it is complete but wholly unassembled except for the boss to kick lever.

The inside section of the XT boss is 3/4 inch total across and is flush with the side of the kick lever:

The TW boss is 1 3/8 inch total across and that extra almost 3/4 inch protrudes to the case side of the bike, providing the clearance for the brake light, etc.

Disassembling the boss from the kick lever couldn't be much easier:

1. Use an impact screwdriver to gently loosen the boss retaining screw - no hammer was necessary, only the flat of my hand, but it was too tight to simply use a screwdriver on these Japanese cardboard screws. Finish the job with a screwdriver, of course.

2. There's a spring-loaded ball bearing in the boss that keeps the kick lever locked in except for cranking. Before you pull the boss from the kick lever, turn the boss slightly relative to kick lever.

Then, keeping the ball up just give her a steady pull - don't worry, the ball won't spring out when it clears.

3. Once the XT boss is off, drop the spring into the hole into the TW boss, plop the bearing on top and slip the boss into the kick lever (keep that ball up) lining up the flat on the boss with the flat on the kick lever.

#21 ·
<Continued>

4. Now, a special tool, a vise. The spring is very stiff so don't bother trying to push down on the ball with the flat of a screwdriver (for example) - doesn't work, I've tried it. It doesn't take much force but you'll need to put the kick lever and boss between the jaws of the vise and turn the vise in slowly until the ball disappears and clicks into the hole in the lever.

5. Now just replace the screw hand tight, then give her a couple of palm slaps onto the end of an impact driver and Bob's your uncle, you're done.

My wife has "suggested" that maybe some of the ranch projects should precede the installation of my kick starter so I'll post the final later - I won't bother to post the install process as it's been done before - just the final results and how it clears all the stuff that the XT only boss didn't. Later . . .

#22 ·
In case you noticed, yes, that is the TW boss I'm removing and reinstalling. I got so excited to get the parts that I popped off the XT boss and put on the TW then - Doh - forgot to take pictures. I'm too lazy to pull the TW boss off, reinstall the XT boss, pull the XT boss off, then install the TW - you understand.

Reactions: greenbomb
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.