Adding a Kickstarter
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Adding a Kickstarter

Well I was at the dealer today to get the last pieces of my kickstart conversion and the parts guy had to go look in a kit to find a part number....what I say, a kit. Yes. I did not get the part # but my dealer had a tw200 kick start conversion kit. I asked how much it was and they quoted $218.00. Ouch. Well anyway I thought I would let people know that there is in fact a Yamaha kickstart kit now available.

Idaho04

Moderator Note: See the last thread here for clarification on "Kits"
    mrgoodsmith likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by idaho04 View Post
    Well I was at the dealer today to get the last pieces of my kickstart conversion and the parts guy had to go look in a kit to find a part number....what I say, a kit. Yes. I did not get the part # but my dealer had a tw200 kick start conversion kit. I asked how much it was and they quoted $218.00. Ouch. Well anyway I thought I would let people know that there is in fact a Yamaha kickstart kit now available.

Idaho04

I post alot, and I am NO EXPERT, just someone that has a TW and it seems, lots of time on my hands. We have been all over the place when it comes to kickstart conversions. Idaho's dealer may have presented a 'brand new option', but I think not.

Getting a kick-start on your newer TW is certainly 'still' an option, but it has been and likely will be a mix and match. I was told, no "TW KIT" is made..... You can get most parts from the XT225 (kit) and buy the others separately. I bought all as individual parts and the mod cost me about $175 a couple of years ago.

I am not suggesting I am better, smarter or in anyway a step-up from Mr. Idaho04, it's just that so much has been presented about the K=starter and the follow-up is minimal.

With luck, Idaho has placed an order for the "kit" and you all will get a chance to see if something new has been presented. If not, I hope Idaho04 will provide in detail what you now need to do to add a kick starter to your TW. The Kick is a neat option for sure. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

I actually got my parts used and did it that way, but I needed a few NEW parts, gasket and oil seal, and got those from the dealer. Im sure the kit is a Yamaha part because he pulled the kit out and it was one box with everything except the knuckle for the kick starter because it was too fat. The box was sealed with a yamaha part sticker. I have read that you can piece these together and much cheaper but thought I would share my experience. I read most of all the info to be had here on the retrofit before I started, made it much easier, knowledge is power. I wasn't advocating for spending the extra $$ but if someone wanted to it is an easy option. Thanks to everyone here for your experience on what is needed, makes my mistakes fewer and less expensive.

Harlan

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Parts list from dxnomad...

Translated installation instructions...

Also, here's dxnomad's installation photo album...

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...ick%20Starter/

Parts list and installation instructions can be found in dxnomad album: http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...nd%20Diagrams/

***EDITED: 1/30/11
    Dschrute likes this.
    Sold bike.

Youtube vids of old TW's acceleration:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Pgilles, thanks for bringing that information back to the front.

I am neither a Bragard nor a Fool, but to make it easier for most, let me present you with this; THERE IS NO TW KICK STARTER KIT.............. You can get a kit (not TW) that will supply 'most' of the parts but not all. The lever in the "kit" will not work on the TW without lots of heat and bending. I 'think' a TW lever is about $60. Why buy most of the parts and then 'throw' one away and spend $60 to replace it?

Am I certain, yes (to this degree). I shopped, ordered, re-ordered and installed all the parts needed to put a K-start on my 06.

If you can prove me wrong by inputting one "part" number and getting "ALL" the parts to install a kick starter on a TW I will send you a "Money Order" or "PayPal" you $100.....

You need to post, and provide me with an unaltered invoice with only one part number related to kickstarter, and of course, that part number should be traceable/varifiable at any Yamaha shop or website.

I have NO PROBLEM spending this kind of money to dispel what I think to be a myth. In my opinion, this 'kit concept' has so many folks hoping for something that does not and need not exist. Do some pretty basic price shopping. Look at the parts break down on many vendors sites. Right now, you have an engine with a plastic plug in a hole. You need all the other stuff that is "kick-start" related and the list is posted in a link above. So what if you order some unneeded $3.00 part, the objective it being able to k-start your engine. You can do it........... YOu can!!! Gerry

I am willing to eat my words....I was told 3 times it was a TW kit until I made them give me the part numbers. It is an XT kit. For anyone who wants it the part numbers are:

KIT 3RW-W0795-00

Boss 54G-15621-00

As mrgizmow has stated it is cheaper to buy the parts individually. The kit can be a good reference for anyone on what parts to order but dont waste your money.

Harlan

Quote Originally Posted by idaho04 View Post
    I am willing to eat my words....I was told 3 times it was a TW kit until I made them give me the part numbers. It is an XT kit. For anyone who wants it the part numbers are:

KIT 3RW-W0795-00

Boss 54G-15621-00

As mrgizmow has stated it is cheaper to buy the parts individually. The kit can be a good reference for anyone on what parts to order but dont waste your money.

Harlan

I think I paid $135 (that was after taxes) for the XT kit, and found a kicker for $20 locally. Not sure how much the parts add up to individually.
    Sold bike.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I don't want anyone to eat anything but a good meal (). What I would like to see us do is document the parts needed, indicate once and for all, that the only kit is one for the XT and that that kick lever is not a viable option for the TW. With this then clearly stated, make it a "sticky" in TECH. Now folks in the future will be less likely to chase their tails in search of the 'imaginary' TW kit. My hope as well, is then most will be more comfortable with the parts ordering process. Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
    I don't want anyone to eat anything but a good meal (). What I would like to see us do is document the parts needed, indicate once and for all, that the only kit is one for the XT and that that kick lever is not a viable option for the TW. With this then clearly stated, make it a "sticky" in TECH. Now folks in the future will be less likely to chase their tails in search of the 'imaginary' TW kit. My hope as well, is then most will be more comfortable with the parts ordering process. Gerry

I think it's acceptable to say there are two options here:

• Buy the XT kit and supplement it with a TW/BW200 kicker assembly (just ordering the crank kick boss as stated above, yamaha p/n 54G-15621-00-00, will NOT work without modification as stated here: http://tw200forum.com/forums/2/17713/ShowPost.aspx in dxnomad's 09-12-2007, 6:10 PM post), or the other option being
    • Buy the individual parts from the list above. (keeping in mind adding the case gasket and clutch locking washer might be a good idea)
    Sold bike.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I'm quite sure that the kickstarter is the same for the Yamaha AG200 (Australian farm bike) as it is for the TW200.

If prices are prohibitive, I can do a wee digging to see what things cost here (like the kickstarter lever, for example). There are many AG200's being wrecked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links