New chapter for an awesome hollow mod.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: New chapter for an awesome hollow mod.

New chapter for an awesome hollow mod.

Greetings! I'm the lucky owner of Dustin's hollow mod. I can't post links yet, but a quick search should show you.

He killed it for sure; but I'm backing away from the street mod to a true scrambler for twin track mountain adventuring.

First I've added the Procycle supermoto front fender and bracket, and a JW Parts 7" headlight guard to the Kymko he installed. I changed to folding mirrors as well.

I'd like to add handguards for the rare single-track; tried the TMS version off Ebay with the Protaper ATV Hi on the bike but just no way even with spacers. Barkbusters and Tusk Deflex get some love here, but with the Protaper bar? KLR forum also has a few options but I'd love feedback.

Since the frame was detabbed, a few mods may be an issue:

Mostly, rear fender and mounting any type of rack for soft panniers. I can fabricate/weld but I'd like to look at what is out there first that could be removable like the happy trails SL. In addition to detabbing, Dustin took off the last inch or so of the frame with the fender delete and procycle LED tailight. This could be a positive though, as I can tap and thread the frame potentially. Or use expander hardware like on handguard mounts. Thinking outside the box.

I'm ok not adding a rear fender, but if anyone has done so after detabbing and all plastic removed can you let me know your choices?

Thanks in advance, loving this little go anywhere mule.
    Dryden-Tdub and Ken like this.

No hollow mod experience here. A great big WELCOME though from near Groton, NY.

Tom
    Ken likes this.
    Never, in the history of mankind, have lives, less lived, been so well chronicled.

Welcome. A third handguard I recommend is genuine Acerbis @$78 the ones the chinese are cloning. I have them on both pro taper bars.

https://www.amazon.com/Acerbis-21420.../dp/B000GVC9YI

Plus I think I saw a thread where they zip tied? Or screwed plexi glass to the frame as a mud guard in front of the rear wheel..
    Last edited by Tweaker; 05-16-2017 at 11:41 PM.
    Ken and Rockit like this.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by erleichda View Post

I'm ok not adding a rear fender, but if anyone has done so after detabbing and all plastic removed can you let me know your choices?

Thanks in advance, loving this little go anywhere mule.

Mine is still in process, but here's what we are working on:

B66DE98E-F0DF-42C8-B291-1768D024D3C8.jpg

I wanted a fender to protect me from back spray, but much more important to me was that it protected the intake. I'm mostly a fair weather rider, but want to do some trips and need it to be able to function in rain, mud, dust, etc...
    Tweaker, Ken, LuvNot and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    No hollow mod experience here. A great big WELCOME though from near Groton, NY.

Tom
    Little Tommy!!! Tom from Dryden is picking on me again!!!
    Dryden-Tdub, littletommy and Ken like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

WTF is a hollow mod?
    Phelonius

Homegrown fender or just the bracket/frame mod? Looks like one from webike?

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    WTF is a hollow mod?
    If you browse the customisation part of the forum you will see a ton. Lots of inspiration; but basically it's losing all the plastic, detab the frame, "hollow" out the innards. I can't post links yet, but a quick search in that little bar up top should do.

Phelonius - Here's a pic, not my taste but for some it works:

IMG_6008.jpg
    Tweaker likes this.
    You can't see it if you're not out there living it!

'94 Rainbow Warrior - not so rainbow any more - Clarke XT350 tank, Lizrdbrth's seat mod, Beer Trap Pegs, Ricochet skid plate and more.

Going through withdrawals, sold my other two TW's, down to one....Uhggghhh! Hidden Content

Okay, in my youth that was called chopping. A bike was chopped to make it lighter and faster. With Harleys that had springer forks, these were changed out for the springer forks from a military Harley XA. This was a shaft drive model that looked like a BMW. XA forks were 4 inches longer than standard forks and gave more ground clearance for off road riding. The look caught on as a style and choppers began to get the stretched out look that became their identity, and speed was not so important as looks. Eventually chopper became so radical that they might not be safe to ride but that didn't matter so long as it looked like a chopper. A sano chopper was one that had all the tabs and appendages ground off and all welds ground smooth. Hence it was sanitized.
    Just a bit of history of your grandfathers bike.
    Ken likes this.
    Phelonius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links