TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Night time headlight comparison "photos"

12K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  dganey 
#1 ·
First off the 98 tw has a 35watt piaa super plasma gtx bulb which is brighter than the stock 35w. The 07 has a bikemaster 6000k hid 35w + 2 advmonster model 44's led flood light.

This pic is the 98 low beam

07 low beam

98 high beam

07 high beam

07 high beam+leds at 100%

See less See more
#3 ·
Can we see the bike and how you mounted the lights?

#8 ·
I have the same lights (mounted lower at the fork refelctor site and not aimed as far out to the sides) and run them the on road quite a bit about 3/4 with no flashes or complaints so far. When you get out in front of the bike, it really does not have as much "glare" as it would seem. Have passed several Leos as well. One macomb county sheriff stopped and asked about my lights in reference to his Harley. Just my personal observation, but many of the cars/trucks rolling around with the purple colored headlights produce way more glare and are more problematic than these whiter, brighter, leds. My origianl intent was to use them as daytime visibility lights and for off-raod. I have been pleasantly surprised to be able to use them on road as well. ADV monster sells a spot lamp that might be better suited for on-road use.

#6 ·
I dont use them in traffic. Im sure you would blind them. I have them setup to come on with the high beams. I can dim them with the dimmer for traffic use but i just got them installed and havent tried them yet with traffic and i probably wont. We live close to a state highway with a good size median and the floods will shine all the way across the highway into the ditch on both sides. Im waiting for some clown to flash me or just come at me with his brights on.

#11 ·
You could do one of the model 60's by itself on a toggle and do the switch mod to yours so the stock light could be turned off while using the led.. 30 watts of your own personnel sun. Even one the 44's is brighter than the hid on my 07. Im sure one model 60 would be amazing and draw 5 watts less than the stock bulb. I think the 44's are 2000 lumens each and the model 60 is 3600 lumens each.

#13 ·

I almost mounted them the way dusty did that was about the easiest option and you can adjust your light positions easier plus the bracket is already there. I went out at about 5:30am and rode 70ish miles and they work very well in the dark plus there is no traffic that early on a saturday morning around here so i just kept them on.

#16 ·
Seriously, I would use a double throw (ON-OFF-ON) on the low beam circuit, switch between low beam and the LEDs. This would switch the high beam off when the LEDs are on, and a flick of the switch means instant highway legal, just in case.

For a totally independent circuit, pull the auxilary circuit directly from the battery--the OEM harness does not have sufficient capacity for any additional current draw. If you want the LEDs to go on and off with the key,. use a relay to power the headlight circuit, and branch the LED circuit off the headlight power feed after the relay.

#17 ·
Palm state put up the link to my install. The leds are on their own fused harness straight from the battery with a toggle switch in line before the dimmer box-high beam bypass. There is a toggle on the low beam side of the hid also. I took off the instrument cluster and ran the wire for the high beam bypass"relay" to the wire that went to the high beam indicator. So i believe that when i switch on the high beams the power from the indicator bulb wire flips the relay and lets the leds get power from their own harness?? If im not using the high beam bypass which is rarely then the dimmer box has a controller that lets me dim/brighten the leds or turn them off completely or i can kill all power to them from the toggle switch. So i can use low beams with or without leds and the high beams with or without leds or just run the leds by themselves. I have a seperate line straight from the battery for the 12v outlet up by the toggles and i have used a cig plug voltmeter while riding and idling and the lowest voltage ive seen is 13.9 while idling for 10 min. 99% of the time its 14.3-14.5. If im missing something let me know. Im by no means an electrical guru..

#19 ·
[quote name='dustyg' date='11 May 2012 - 04:03 PM' timestamp='1336770216' post='45372']

Can we see the bike and how you mounted the lights?

Dustyg...............any issues with the mirrors I'm seeing in the picture?......I presume one can actually see what is behind them with those mirrors.I've seen them before but can't remember who makes them?. TIA

#23 ·
#24 ·
I think they are well worth the gamble! I'm probably going to order a bunch of stuff from these guys... they have all sorts of cool gadgets and toys an I do love my toys!

z

#26 ·
I like the small single Denali LED lights that are sold by Twisted Throttle or Procycle. I have them on my DR650 and they are super bright with a good pattern and only use 10 watts each. I plan on putting them on my TW before summer to enjoy some night trail riding. Procycle also has the mounting brackets that mount them to the bottom fork triple clamp. Even though they are very bright I hardly ever get flashed when using them in traffic. The only downside is that they are very pricey.

#27 · (Edited)
i replaced my adv monster lights with these from cyclops motorsports. lots of info and images over at ADV rider. they call them the light cannons and I agree. Massive forward focused projection. Great for the road and good offroad. I use my HID on low beam for near and mid fill/spread and the two 10 degrees for long throw. Sorry no pictures. Bikes away for the winter. The Denali are great lights, but the optimus project further. Made in usa and 1st rate quality.

Long Range Optimus LED Auxiliary light Square

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.