Homemade Chain Oiler - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Homemade Chain Oiler

Just a note on the do it yourself oilers, if you look at the bottom of this page for search tags for this page, you will find many links for building your own. Member Dubster and others have examples long lost deep in the forum. Some of these units only cost a few dollars to build your own. Check it out, you'll be impressed at the ingenuity of some of these folks.
    Darth likes this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Seeing as how this thread has been resurrected I thought I would add my latest version of a home-made oiler I installed on my DR650 for those that might be interested. This time I used a cheap oil can I purchased at my local Princess Auto.
    DSCF1028.JPG
    I still used parts of an IV dripper and attached the oiler to the frame with a stainless hose clamp.
    DSCF1026.JPG
    This time I decided to try a delivery closer to the rear sprocket so I made up some brackets and ran a length of copper tubing along the swing-arm with the oil dripping on to the chain just ahead of the sprocket.
    DSCF1021.JPGDSCF1022.JPG
    I will be replacing the squeeze bottle on the TW with one of these oil cans sometime this winter. It holds more oil and it is easier to use while on the move. I just reach down every now and then and give it a few pumps.

I suppose I could have purchased an aftermarket oiler but I like to "tinker" and enjoy the satisfaction of doing my own thing. Maybe I just watched one to many episodes of MacGyver.

One thing I have noticed is the rear delivery is wee bit messier than the front delivery that I have on the TW and V-Strom. Any excess oil is captured by the front sprocket cover. It probably wouldn't make much difference on the DR with the case saver I installed in place of the sprocket cover besides it's a dirt bike and nothing a little soap and water won't wash off.

So like I said before give it a try. These things cost next to nothing to make and work great.
    TWilight, littletommy and Darth like this.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"

09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"

03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"

02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition"

73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's"

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Dubster, consider using Bar & Chain oil in that reservoir rather than regular engine oil, or whatever you are using. Bar & Chain oil is designed for chainsaws, and is tackier, with a heavier viscosity. It will throw off less, and stick to the chain rollers better.
    Thanks for the advice TWilight. I have been using synthetic gear oil lately and it isn't quite as messy as lighter grade oil . I may try the bar oil on the more street oriented V-Strom but I would be concerned the dust,sand and dirt would build up on on the chain and sprocket using bar oil and be counter productive. One thing I find is when the chain does get dirty a liberal dose of lighter grade oil will literally "wash" it clean. In 2014 when we went across Labrador one of the guys was using 2-stroke motor oil in his home-made oiler. He used a lot more oil and his bike was a mess but his chain and sprockets stayed much cleaner than mine. Then again I don't need to tell you what a mess your bike is in when you reach the end of the Trans Labrador Highway especially if you get caught in rain.....and we got caught in plenty of rain. 7 out of 14 days it rained.
    littletommy likes this.
    09 DL650 V-Strom "Function over Form at a Superior Price"

09 DR650 "Hooliganizer"

03 TW200 "No Road---No Problem"

02 Tw200 " Camouflaged Redneck Edition"

73CT Trail90 "The most fun you can have under 100cc's"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Dubster, consider using Bar & Chain oil in that reservoir rather than regular engine oil, or whatever you are using. Bar & Chain oil is designed for chainsaws, and is tackier, with a heavier viscosity. It will throw off less, and stick to the chain rollers better.
    It will also hold dirt and dust, which will grind the chain up over time and kill O ring chains.

P1000610.JPGcan't remember if I posted this. was an easy way and on the cheap.
    TWilight, Gerry and ldmccain like this.

Just a pic of my homemade chainoiler! I don't know how the pics got turned sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Tw200, Cycleracks hump version,(just modified to flat version 1/30/16) Grab-on grip covers, battery tender pigtail, Jimbo smoked windshield, AG supply tool tube, RamMount handlebar mount, Seat Concepts seat, Tusk 30mm handlebar risers, Uni air filter, Pelican 1500 for topcase

2007 TDub (The fastest year made!)
    2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's
    2013 Honda PCX 150
    1995 BMW K75RT
    AF&AM
    US Veteran

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponosred Links