Luggage rack choices - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Luggage rack choices

Turbo City's front rack is worth a look. Mounts over the headlight, stout as a brick.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bondfast View Post
    Hi, after much thought I'm about ready to order the rear Cycle Rack. The only thing holding me back is: it looks like the wide berth would make any unfortunate extra passenger suffer extreme pain in their legs. Don at Cycle Racks assured me this is not the case and that it actually makes a passenger feel more secure (I guess it gives him or her something to hang on to.

Anybody with any direct experience or opinions on this?

Thanks a lot - Richard

As the rack attaches to the foot pegs at an angle from the rear, imagine looking at it from the side with the passenger leg coming up from the peg, bending at the knee and then going back to their hip. The passengers leg would be above the bar, and they would have the rack right there under their hip to grab on to. The rack would discourage them from trying to put their feet down when you stop. A problem I've had with passengers in the past.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

Quote Originally Posted by srs713 View Post

As the rack attaches to the foot pegs at an angle from the rear, imagine looking at it from the side with the passenger leg coming up from the peg, bending at the knee and then going back to their hip. The passengers leg would be above the bar, and they would have the rack right there under their hip to grab on to. The rack would discourage them from trying to put their feet down when you stop. A problem I've had with passengers in the past.

Ok, thanks - that gives me a picture & it sounds good. So, nothing digging into their legs/rear end in a normal sitting position, right?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bondfast View Post
    Ok, thanks - that gives me a picture & it sounds good. So, nothing digging into their legs/rear end in a normal sitting position, right?

Not anything touching the passenger. Just a good place to grab.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

As Lzrdbrth said, Turbo City's Front Rack looks like it would work, but I don't think it would hold much.

Lzrdbrth do you have this rack? Anyone else tried it out, or seen it in person for that matter?

Turbo City - Universal Front Rack
    My TW is HUNGRY!

'01 TW200, WPS Handguards, D2moto Foot Pegs, Jimbo's Cafe Fairing, Tusk Handle Bar Risers, Yamaha Rear Rack, 47 Tooth Rear, 3/16 Fuel Filter, Monsterbolts, Monsterbrace, HJC CL-14 Fuse, HJC ACX1, Cortech GX-AIR, RU Outside Teton Gloves

I do have one, but I have some issues with my puter and posting images. The version I have doesn't look quite like the one pictured, the "shelf" part is at right angles to the main rack, rather than sloping gradually. For scale, it's a bit larger than the O.E.M rear rack, and will hold a fair sized rock for ballast, or a few gallons of gas. It's plenty stout, clears the headlight, and hugs the fairing and fork much closer on a TW than on the bike pictured.

By way of disclaimer, Purple's ( my S.O.'s) bike was used to prototype TCI's rack as well as their skidplate and rear hard luggage rack, and they accepted our input and made changes along the way before offering them for production.

Yes, we got a special price on the stuff for providing her bike. But those of you familiar with me know I tell it like I see it, and I wouldn't be hawking it if it wasn't good stuff. The only disadvantage to their rack is that it takes some creativity to install the brackets if you have bar risers. On a stock setup it bolts right on, no finagling, all hardware provided.

Like the awesome folks at Cycleracks, you can call Tom at TCI and he'll actually take your call or at least return your call in a timely manner. Also, in terms of function I wouldnt have any other skidplate out there on my bike after having TCI's.

If I'm wrong, and it turns out that you hate it, I'll send you all my Barry Manilow albums.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I just checked TCI's website and it appears that they now use this newer design on the main rack section, prolly because it weighs less. I can't speak to its actual size, but mine is adequate for a rolled up, fairly bulky low-tech sleeping bag.
    HKLBRY likes this.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Another option for some is to make your own, or modify an existing rack.

This was my first mod, an idea stolen from someone on the old forum. It's the front rack from an ATV, narrowed to 27". Struts are 3/16 bar stock and it mounts like the O.E.M rack, with slots for the turn signal wires, and two bolts under the seat. I needed a huge rack for firewood, dogfood and large inocent woodland creatures killed in idyllic settings .

Otherwise I think the Cyclerack would be hard to beat for load capacity, and their's that legendary pic of Ronniedog toting an unquartered deer on one.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I saw a TW at the downtown farmer's market on Saturday and spoke with the owner. He had a Cyclerack, the first one I'd seen in real life. Sold me. I called and placed my order just a half hour ago. I told him to toss in the side bag supports. He said they'd changed, now they come with mounting points for a gas can rack. The price for the side bag supports has risen from $39 to $49. The website does not reflect the change.

They'll ship today, looking forward to getting them midweek.

There was one big surprise - they don't want payment yet. After I get it, I need to call or email so they can run my card, or I can mail a check. They want to make sure I'm satisfied before they get the money. Now that's service.
    Youth is wasted on the young.

Lizrdbrth, that is an awesome rack. When it comes to cargo, I've never looked back and wished that I'd gotten the smaller one. Big is better and yours looks like the best so far.
    Youth is wasted on the young.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links