Luggage rack choices
Close

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Luggage rack choices

I've had my TW for four days, just licensed it today, and I know that I need a rear luggage rack. I plan to use the bike for errands around town so I need cargo capacity.

I really like the Cycleracks version. That's one big, beefy rack they have there. It's the most expensive option I've found but it also looks bigger than the rest and there's another big issue. The bike has no turn signals. I've ordered some universal aftermarket lights. The mounting holes for the rear signals has a big hole so I'll probably have to bodge them on with some washers and a bushing somehow. Some of the racks I've found online appear to mount to those points so I'm leery of complicating that whole deal. The Cyclerack doesn't appear to use those as mounting points so that's definitely a plus for them.

I also found this rack at Happytrails.com. I know lots of KLR guys swear by their stuff. Does anyone have experience with this rack? It looks like they've repositioned the turn signals.

Then there's the Moose Expedition rack:

It looks like that one doesn't use the turn signal holes for the mount but it may not be as solid as Cycleracks.

Of course there's always the Yamaha version which I'm sure a lot of you folks use. The other options are all a little cheaper than Cycleracks but I rarely buy something just because it's cheaper.

Suggestions anyone?

I think I need a tool roll or something up front to keep the registration and odds and ends in. Any suggestions? I don't think I need a whole rack up there. I was looking at this guy but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Still haven't removed the seat yet. It looks like I'll have to get a new tool to get those mounting bolts off. The PO said something about a tool kit and I suppose it must be under the seat somewhere, right? ( I haven't even downloded the owner's manual yet.) If that's the case, I'll have to have a tool to get to the tool kit. Another reason to get a fork bag.
    Youth is wasted on the young.

I've got the Happy Trails one, it's worked well. Got it mostly because I wanted hard side bags, and Happy Trails had a side rack kit that integrates with it.

Like you say the turn signals fit on supplied extensions.

Here is the actual Moose Expedition Rack picture. It is different than the one posted above. I really like this rack. If I didn't have an OEM rack I would seriously look at this one.

Moose Expedition Rack

Another option for the rear rack is from Turbo City. Bigger than the Yamaha rack but not as big or beefy as the cyclerack. Comparable to the Moose.

Borrego Rack

Also what do you think about using one of the Agri Tool Tubes under the rear left side plastic instead of a front bag. Easy access and keeps the front end nice and clean. Check out this thread

The Famous Storage Tube
    MikeGtRock and jtomelliott49 like this.
    My TW is HUNGRY!

'01 TW200, WPS Handguards, D2moto Foot Pegs, Jimbo's Cafe Fairing, Tusk Handle Bar Risers, Yamaha Rear Rack, 47 Tooth Rear, 3/16 Fuel Filter, Monsterbolts, Monsterbrace, HJC CL-14 Fuse, HJC ACX1, Cortech GX-AIR, RU Outside Teton Gloves

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I had the Happy-Trail Rack and it was sturdy and large but you do have to lengthen your signals, parts are included. I have also run the cyclerack rack and it is I think the most solid but comes at a price. The cycle rack rack is heaviest and has arms that come down to the passenger pegs, so can get in the way and pinch your leg if you fall or have a passenger. There are many who run the cycerack and love it but it was not my favorite. I switched my last TW to the OEM rack and was very happy. For the amount of gear you probably will be carrying the OEM rack should suffice and is great with or without luggage on.

Just my 2 cents

The moose and turbo city rack is the same thing. I bought the moose distributed one; it had a turbo city instruction sheet with it. Moose does a lot of selling others products under their name.

it's a good rack.
    JNUT likes this.

You can't forget that the cyclerack is replaced for free if broken. It's supposedly saved one or two TW owners that got rearended also.
    Badger likes this.
    Some things shouldn't be left like you found them.

For stake of completeness for this post here's the link to the cycleracks website:

Cycleracks

Rear Rack:

Front Rack:

Fred and N-m like this.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

+1 for cycleracks rear rack. you could winch yer bike up a cliff with that rack.

i would suggest changing out the stock bolts that are under the seat. they arent strength rated very high cos all they normally do is hold the rear plastic down. i upgraded to 10.9 rated bolts after snapping the heads off the stock bolts torqueing the rack down.
    Capt. Tyler likes this.
    '01 TW200: Tusk D-Flex Handguards w/ Spoilers, Pro Taper Grips, LEDs in Idiot Lights, Headlight Rockguard, Stearns Seat Pad, Oversized Footpegs and a Loud Ass Horn -SOLD
    '91 TW200: Bone Stock

Good point, ATX. That would be a cheap and simple upgrade. With the way I tend to load down a bike, more strength is a very good thing.

I have a question about the Cycleracks front rack. How much stuff can go on there before you start to block the headlight? Not much from the looks of it. Other than that it looks like a fine piece of gear.
    DLT likes this.
    Youth is wasted on the young.

Ripshod,

I have yet to find a good use for the front rack other that extra weight to hold my front tire down on steep hills.....
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links