The Dual Sprocket thread - Page 16
Close

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: The Dual Sprocket thread

Thanks Gerry. I still have the dual sprocket in an unopened parts bag uninstallled, it is labeled 12/15.
    I have been content with running the "safe" single sprocket while dealing with other life issues. Should change out as on my last Gizmo outing my initial road gearing left me a little long legged when I took some unplanned technical steep stuff.
    My magic MrGizmo magnetic rear axle snail adjuster had gone missing, undoubtedly stuck to backside of a tool box or under the seat frame of one of my vehicles...so chain adjustments on the trail are not as easy.
    I should replicate Gerry's ingenuity...basically a foot long rod with 2 round "nubs" that protrude radially engaging the corresponding round holes in the swing arm"s snail cams. The magnet of Generation 2 simply keeps the tool engaged with the snails.
    We could maybe get MBW to say that everyone should make their own MrGizmo chain adjusting tool. It really makes axle positioning/ chain length adjustments so very much easier.
    littletommy likes this.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Glad the adjusting tool has worked out so well. Have not had much feedback regarding the valve adjuster. The snail wrench I carry is made from a 3/16" strip about 1/2" wide with a section of vinyl tubing over the handle . The welding was a bit simpler and the tool just a tad lighter. Just bought a new welder and being a retired guy I do have some extra time on my hands should someone want an original mrgizmow snail wrench. Suspect my marking on your parts bag is incorrect. The retention pin position was getting very close to the nesting area of the side plates of the chain I suspect the smaller diameter of a twelve tooth sprocket would conflict with the dimensions I used.
    Fred likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

TW Brian
    i would like to do the same set-up.
    how many link are you running on your 55T/65T set up?
    and how many spacers or washers and where?
    thanks
    Last edited by rvflorian; 12-11-2016 at 12:34 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rvflorian View Post
    TW Brian
    i would like to do the same set-up.
    how many link are you running on your 55T/65T set up?
    and how many spacers or washers and where?
    thanks
    Hi rvflorian,

I have done so many different combinations of front/rear sprockets, that I can't keep track of the exact configuration of all of them. I am also running a 2" extended swingarm (thanks again Joemama!), so my length of chain would not apply to a stock swingarm. Sorry.

Here are my suggestions for your dual rear sprocket setup. Order the sprockets with a center recess cut into them. This will help provide some extra clearance that you will need because there is not a lot of space back there. Regarding the spacers, just buy a bunch of washers and nuts from the hardware store and plan on playing around with different stackups until you find the one that works best at allowing clearance for the chain between the spockets, and between the sprockets/nuts and the swingarm. It's not rocket surgery, just a lot of bolting up and upbolting things.

Here is a link to the last couple of chains that I have bought for these multiple sprockets combos. It is 132 links and I suggest that you order a couple of extra master links at the same time. Cut the chain to fit your smaller rear sprocket, then figure how long of a piece of chain that you will need to add to fit your larger sprocket.

I hope this is helpful,

Brian

KMC O-Ring Chain 428UO x 132L
    littletommy, Gerry and Fred like this.
    site:tw200forum.com

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Cut the chain to fit your smaller rear sprocket, then figure how long of a piece of chain that you will need to add to fit your larger sprocket.

I hope this is helpful,

Brian

KMC O-Ring Chain 428UO x 132L
    Forgive me if I'm missing something, but why not cut the chain to fit the larger sprocket first. Then put that length of chain around the smaller sprocket. Cut off the overlap and that is the number of links you'll need to add to fit the large one again 👍
    littletommy and Gerry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by buellzebub View Post
    Forgive me if I'm missing something, but why not cut the chain to fit the larger sprocket first. Then put that length of chain around the smaller sprocket. Cut off the overlap and that is the number of links you'll need to add to fit the large one again 
    That way will work too !
    buellzebub, littletommy and Gerry like this.
    site:tw200forum.com

Or use that big muscle between the ears and figure required chain lengths out in advance.
    Take stock chain length and add 2 links for every inch of extended swing arm length, then add one link for every four additional rear sprocket teeth added beyond stock. The math is easy since our 428 drive chains links ( inner plus outer halves) are 1.0 inches long.
    Last edited by Fred; 12-11-2016 at 04:47 PM.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Sponosred Links