The Dual Sprocket thread - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: The Dual Sprocket thread

Wow!! This is really exciting!!! (Why didn't I think of it??)
    We're in 'Bat Country' now....

Basically same idea as my 1964 Honda Trail 90 from the factory, except for the dual front sprockets.

Quote Originally Posted by eviee1973 View Post
    Basically same idea as my 1964 Honda Trail 90 from the factory, except for the dual front sprockets.

Exactly... those had much more variance between to the two rear sprockets right? A small one and a huge one? Which also required adding a sectrion of chain? That's what I've heard anyway.

I may add a larger rear sprocket someday, but it's nice having the rear sprockets be similar enough in size to not require adding a section of chain. Simple-Simple.
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've run wheel sprockets with a difference of 4 teeth without having to mess with chain length. Not much room in the adjustment slot for more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    I've run wheel sprockets with a difference of 4 teeth without having to mess with chain length. Not much room in the adjustment slot for more than that.

Qwerty, I will say, you are likely correct. There is however, ample room to elongate the slot. In my opinion, when a mod option is presented, the modder needs to be aware that 'he' may need to deal with a few "unstated issues." If memory serves, I did indeed move (increase) the slot forward. As well, I modified the chain adjusting cams to afford me more slack when loosening the chain. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

With the 14/47, 14/50 setup, I didn't have to modify anything... All just bolt on parts.
    ~Davey

'89 TW200

'94 Suzuki Sidekick

Funny story about the Honda 90, I forget if I read it here or somewhere else. When Honda first released the 90, there was a dealer in California who would modify them with 70 tooth sprockets and grip tires, They did great in the foothills with these mods, the things would fly out the door. So when the Honda brass took notice of why this dealer was selling more Honda 90's than anyone else, they immediately dispatched some eggheads to figure out why. Their response was the dual range sub transmission.

LOL, times have changed so much, do you think Honda would give it's customers the time of day in 2010? They'd probably respond by pulling the dealers license over liability issues....

I want to run a 55/70 combo on mine, but I'm a bit concerned about the unsplined area on the front shaft.

I'm gunna look into one-piece industrial double sprockets for the front. Anyone already beaten that horse?
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Is there a downside to just adding a small section of chain to avoid having to loosen and adjust the rear tire every time you change which sprocket you drive?

My ability to recall "exactly" has been somewhat compromised, likely a genetics thing as my Father would offten forget my name. In my opinion, should you be willing to pay a machinist, you should be able to get your 'secondary' primary sprocket indexed with as many coil pins (strong) as you want. I believe the stock shaft provides 6 'teeth'. Unless you are big guy, and plan to race, in my opinion, you should be able to make your 'sister' sprocket attachment "strong" enough.

Nothing wrong with adding extra length of chain to get an even wider spread in your ratio options. There will be a few opinions on this to be sure. No matter if you boughht your bike new (me) or bought used. To me, the TW is a simple and inexpensive bike, parts like sprockets and chains are very affordable. Certainly, mis-matching components that have been subject to different degrees of wear would not represent the 'ideal', but in my opinion, nothing about the bike was made to represent the 'ideal'.

Certainly, all of the above represent 'less' than optimum conditions (factory stock). I have mentioned before, my main concerns are (1) SAFETY and (2) convenience.

I tried the wider spread (gearing) with the added section of chain. For me, this added enough time (not much) and energy to the ratio switch, as to suggest I would not be inclined to fuss with adding/subtracting chain sections to achieve my goals. You still need to loosen and re-tighten the axle to put in place the new section of chain and get it properly tensioned..

In just dealing with the rear sprocket I am of the opinion that any 5 tooth spread is available. Here are some examples; should you be primarily a street commuter, but like trails, try a 45/50 rear combo. If you (like me) are into back country exploring, how about 50/55. Now in changing the front as well, offers an even greater spread.

I am not selling anything, but am certainly pleased when someone gleens value from my ramblings. There are a few that continue to 'walk the planet' because they don't trust flying machines. Study well, and use whats available to your benefit. Sounds good to me, Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links