1987 electrical question
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1987 electrical question

I have an 1987 TW, It has the original battery.
    It drains every year, I stick the trickle charger on it in spring
    The neutral safety green lamp comes on.
    It kick starts every time, and will kick start all summer long as long as I run it every day or two.
    It never has enough juice to crank with the e-start unless it's right after a nice long ride and the engine is still warm.
    My question is: Would this be possible with 88 and later TW's?

I'm wondering because Yamaha basically stole the 87 ignition from a kickstart SR185 and kick only XT200/TT225. I checked with the Australian fiche and they still used this 87 style stator setup in the 2005 Kick only AG200.

The original battery??? Impossible. That's 27 years!!! I have trouble (and, I think everyone does) making a motorcycle battery last 2 years.

If it really is that old: There's your problem. Get a new battery.

Personally, I don't know anything about the battery and kickstarter vs a 2005 AG200.

It sounds like your basic question is "Can you kick start an '88 and up without a battery in the bike?" Or maybe "a really weak battery in the bike".......I don't know for sure but I am betting you can.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If a lead acid battery is left dead or even a low charge state for an extended time the sulphur plates out as a solid and is no longer available for the chemical reaction that takes place in lead acid batteries. The loss of active sulphur reduces the capacity of the battery drastically.

I use a DeSulphater on my RV batteries but once they get really bad, the battery is pretty much toast.

Yep, as others suggested, time for a new battery.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

Well yes I know it needs a new battery, that goes without out saying....but that wasn't my question

I only ride this this one from late May to October, and this battery still holds charge enough to kickstart it, I just went and rechecked, the neutral light comes on when the key is turned. Seven days since last charge. I bought this bike in 2001 from original owner and have never done anything to this battery but top it up and trickle charge it.

My question was, Do other years kick start with zero or low battery power, or is it something with the 87 stator and wiring?
    Last edited by TWrider; 05-24-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post

Personally, I don't know anything about the battery and kickstarter vs a 2005 AG200.
    Well the 87 is different from all other year TWs in this area, The AG kick start model is different from the AG E-start in the generator. Yamaha is still using the 87 TW style generator in it's latest incarnations of kick start only agricultural bikes for developing nations.
    Last edited by TWrider; 05-24-2014 at 08:52 PM.

So then the answer to the question is that a 2014 will definitely start and run and the lights will come on if a kick starter is added and the battery is completely dead? The new CDI's don't need external power to create a spark at the plug? Has anyone BTDT?
    Last edited by TWrider; 05-24-2014 at 09:35 PM.

ok here is the deal, I have a 87 tw also, has a brand new battery in it and it will go dead in 4-5 days with the key off,and will kick start with a dead battery, I put a switch between the battery and the ignition switch and turn it off when I am not running the bike and my battery will hold it's charge, my guess is the rectifier is leaking voltage and draining the battery. I have been running it this way for the last 1000 miles with no problems so far. My battery will stay up then and I can use the electric start all the time with out having to charge the battery.
    87tw,08 klr650,00dr200,76tl250,73cl175 scrambler,75tl250,76tl125,1960 cushman trailster,

That's interesting to know, but why not just replace rectifier, wouldn't that be easier than splicing a switch? I don't mind kicking at all, I figure if it doesn't start cold in two or three kicks then there is something that needs attention.

On edit, that KE 100 you have, is that a rotary valve version?
    Last edited by TWrider; 05-24-2014 at 11:30 PM.

Coincidentally, I went to start my '95 TW yesterday. Dead. No lights, no starter, no indicator lights either. Kick started it to run to the Post Office. Got back home okay. Removed seat to charge battery and found the battery totally disconnected. Bolt and nut vibrated loose. Therefore: bike started and ran fine without battery. Lights and turn signals? Not so good. The '87 models and AG's could be different. However, I bet they run without batteries, also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links