Intake Side of Carb/Carb Issue
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: Intake Side of Carb/Carb Issue

Intake Side of Carb/Carb Issue

Just pulled the carb off my 1992 TW200 to clean it. Went to put it back on only to find both sides of the carb won't connect at the same time. The rubber boot on the intake side won't hold the carb while it's bolted to the engine, I assume it has to do with age. Tried every way imaginable, eventually had to rig something up. Does anyone know where I can get just that rubber boot to replace?

Side Question: The reason we pulled the carb in the first place is there is a popping when even more than a little throttle is given. With a lot of throttle it cuts out complete, then returns. Any suggestions besides cleaning the crap out of the carb?

95TW200_0073.jpg

Right side of the attached picture.

rbm
    Hello and welcome! It sounds like the rubber boots are a little tight, this comes with age. You'll just have to play with it, twisting back and forth, it'll go. As for the popping and stalling, it sounds like a clogged pilot jet.

You need a new boot between the carb and air box! They shrink and get very hard over time and will not stay sealed. Any Yamaha dealer or bike bandit sells them for your bike. If air can leak in this connection your bike will never run right.

Indide your carb there is a needle and seat that the float controls. If you remove the seat you will find a very fine screen on the underside. It is often clogged. When you clean these old style carbs it is important to replace the needle and seat with that screen and to also run a fine wire through all the tiny passages in the carb body. The pilot screw which is on the bottom just forward of the outside of the float bowl on the engine side is often the cause of popping and poor throttle response as long as the rest of your carb is clean.

GaryL
    fishguy likes this.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks
    1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
    1989 Lowe Lunker

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That's just a stock photo, should have taken an actual photo last night but wasn't thinking. But yes, they are too far apart, trust me there is no way it's going back together original. Afraid to take the carb back off without having a replacement for that boot, I need to pin down a part number to replace it I think. Disassembled the carb when it was off pretty completely and ran a lot of cleaner through every hole, I know I took off the float and needle but can't recall if I cleaned a screen in there or not. As far as the pilot screw does that need to be adjusted?
    Last edited by QCSmith; 10-19-2014 at 08:12 AM.

The air box to carb rubber boot thing shrinks with age. Save yourself a lot of trouble and aggravation and buy a new one. I tried and tried to make the old one work and when I got the new one I knew it was never going to happen.

PB030157.JPG

The needle seat with the the screen is almost in the center. The screen is domed shaped. Click on picture to enlarge it.

P4160939.JPG

Good luck!
    Last edited by elime; 10-19-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

A 1992, you say? Remember that's over 20 years! Rubber and plastic parts degrade. The intake boot lives in a very hot environment.

Looking for intake air leaks on these older TWs is mandatory. The boot on my '95 still seals okay but I am watching it.

Get a new one. My first TW was bought cheap because of that letting dirt eat the back of the piston and bore.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Quote Originally Posted by QCSmith View Post
    That's just a stock photo, should have taken an actual photo last night but wasn't thinking. But yes, they are too far apart, trust me there is no way it's going back together original. Afraid to take the carb back off without having a replacement for that boot, I need to pin down a part number to replace it I think. Disassembled the carb when it was off pretty completely and ran a lot of cleaner through every hole, I know I took off the float and needle but can't recall if I cleaned a screen in there or not. As far as the pilot screw does that need to be adjusted?
    I can't post links from this IPad. Go to either Stadiumyamaha.com or bikebandit.com. Find the 1992 TW and the carb and a schematic will pop up with all the parts and numbers. Once you remove the screw and the needle valve seat you will see the screen I always find clogged. The seat is the brass part the needle goes into. A small screw holds it in place and it can be difficult to remove. The screen is under it.

Yes, the pilot screw is your fuel/air mixture adjustment. I find it is close if you turn it all the way in and then back it out 2 full turns. There is no sense in adjusting the pilot screw until you are sure all the other parts are clear and installed right. The pilot screw has a tiny O ring on it that can be bad. I don't know this for sure but others here have bought the carb rebuild kit from Pro Cycle and claim it is all origional Yamaha parts. Yamaha does not put an actual rebuild kit together but does sell all the parts individually.

The search function here will be your friend if you can navigate through it. What you have is an "Old Style TK Carb". Searching those threads will direct you to hundreds of great pictures and tutorials from the not too distant past where we have been over this carb with a microscope. Member Elime is well versed on these carbs and outstanding at posting pictures with arrows and all of this is here. He might come back in and direct you to those links. You can also search threads from member Jbfla who is also very knowledgeable on these carbs. I think I know a little about them too but in fairness I learned it from them and from lots of lost hair on my own carbs.

GaryL
    Last edited by GaryL; 10-19-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks
    1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
    1989 Lowe Lunker

Thanks for the info all. I will see what I can do with it.

Sponosred Links