TW200 Starts then Stalls
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: TW200 Starts then Stalls

TW200 Starts then Stalls

I'm fixing a bike for a friend. The bike will start and idle for a bit and then stalls. It will start up again and do the same thing.I have put fresh gas in it .Does this point to a carb problem?If I put the choke on it dies.Someone else has worked on it and cleaned the carb.

I've worked on bikes before but never one of these.I am just looking for suggestions,any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Hi there – and welcome to the board ……..

It does sound like a carb problem – and for reference, you can find a variety of manuals here Service and Repair Manuals

“If” the carb isn’t set up correctly, the amount of fuel going into the engine will out strip supply, running the float bowl empty. Once the engine stops, the float bowl continues to fill, until you start her up again, when once more the engine uses up more than is in the float bowl – rinse and repeat.

There could be a variety of reasons for this – blocked holes everywhere – float level incorrectly adjusted etc – but as someone else has worked on that carb you now have consider the area to be highly suspect – which means checking everything from scratch.

Before you strip the carb down – have you tried sea foam (we call it Redex over here) in the fuel ? This will sometimes shift the blockage, but needs to be tried and run for a couple of days to work properly. You may also wish to use a fuel filter in between the tank and the carb to stop any future contamination confusing the issue.

Should it turn out to be a carb strip down situation, there are a lot of little bits in there which need to be assembled correctly – don’t presume that the last person in there got everything the right way around - we’ve had a few instances of faulty re-builds being replicated. Proceed with a high level of suspicion – after all – it doesn’t work now, so if you re-build it the same way, no prizes for anticipating the end result. The carbs on these bikes are quite small, so even the slightest deviation will stop them from running properly.

It will help a lot to state the exact year of TW, in order for others to chime in in future – there are a lot of good people on here, but we need to know what we’re dealing with …………..
    Last edited by Purple; 06-10-2015 at 08:50 AM.
    littletommy likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

Thanks for the prompt response.The TW is a 2000 and only has 3400 kms.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I would first confirm that there is a good steady supply of fuel from tank to carberator. Those fine mesh filer screens in the tank can get clogged over time, petcock can get clogged, fuel line can get kinked. This takes but a minute to disconnect fuel line at carb, turn on fuel and hopefully confirm a steady stream of fuel. While I am mot saying this is likely your problem I only suggest you test all assumptions before drawing any conclusions like "problem must be CDI or carburator". Similary intensity and consistancy of spark can be quickly tested to comfirm or set aside concerns r.e. ignition issues.
    Good luck oleschool, mighty nice of you to help fix a friends bike.
    Certainly the fuel additives that dissolve varnishes and flush out carb debris can often work wonders on a bike that has been sat idle for some time.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-10-2015 at 01:18 PM.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

rbm
    Hello and welcome! I would dump the tank, flush it out a bit, add FRESH gas and a double dose of Seafoam and run it for a bit. Let it sit overnight and run it again, let the seafoam do the work. After that, you may need to take the carb off for some cleaning.

Well,I pulled the fuel line off and there's definitely good flow coming out of the petcock.I removed the carb and all of the jets and soaked them in a degreaser I've had good results with and then blew them out as well as the carb body.I reinstalled the pilot and returned it to the 2.5 turns out it was set at.I adjusted the float height as well as the fuel level.When I ran the bike it reacted the same as before.It will idle and eventually stall.Its better than before but is still not rideable.As soon as I touch the throttle to rev it it dies.The carb is cleaned and set to the spec in the manual.There are no mods to this bike.

The only other work that was done was the stator was just replaced.It has not run since.

Have you checked the carb manifolds (inlet and outlet) for cracking ?

Air filter might be worth a glance too

And when you increase from idle – the HT circuit perks up a bit – check for leaks on the HT side (plug/coil/caps/cable)

Run it for as long as you can to give the sea foam a chance to work ......
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

If I'm reading correctly the problem started after the stator replacement. Pull the left case cover and check the the wire running from the stator. Look for abraded insulation. These wires can be pinched when reassembling.

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
    If I'm reading correctly the problem started after the stator replacement. Pull the left case cover and check the the wire running from the stator. Look for abraded insulation. These wires can be pinched when reassembling.
    If the wires were pinched would that still allow it to run?I'm just asking.I read that there were different assemblies,like cdis for the different year of TW. Could this be a problem with the new stator?Is it possible a stator from another year was installed? How could I tell?

There are two different part numbers, pre 2001 and post.

Pre, for a 2000, would be 2YG-81410-M0-00.

2001 and on is 4WP-85510-10-00.

Might want to look inside and see if the part number is on it someplace.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links