Engine stalls, terrible noise from the inside - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Engine stalls, terrible noise from the inside

If it is oil starvation, you may find damaged rings, cylinders, valve stems & guides, rockers, bearings of rockers, cam, cam bearings, and that is just the upper end.
    If the oil starvation is bad enough it could be crank bearings, con rod & con rod bearings to include wrist pin and piston.
    You might be advised to find a used replacement engine to use while you do a complete rebuild of your original.
    Form what you say, the engine is not safe to ride at all. Find a friend with a trailer.
    admiral likes this.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by kltrkmpf View Post
    omg ... can't be rescued with just replacing the piston? what else were damaged?
    The cylinder is also scarred but not bad considering how bad the piston is. The cylinder can probably be honed out and is reusable with a new piston.

Quote Originally Posted by kltrkmpf View Post
    omg ... can't be rescued with just replacing the piston? what else were damaged?

I haven't seen the cylinder but I bet a lot of what looks bad is aluminum transferred to the steel cylinder lining and that can be cleaned up and you might have a usable though less than ideal cylinder. Honing or boring to the next oversize will definitely save the cylinder.

I have used many cylinders that others said wouldn't work but they worked fine.
    admiral likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Could you maybe pay some kids a few Singapore Dollars to help push you broken babe to your place of work? It is something I would have done for free just for the adventure as kid. "Cool, guess what?! I got to push a motorcycle today!"

Once there if you have the tools might as well remove the cylinder head. Perhaps carefully bag and label all the nuts and bolts if you think another mechanic might finish the job eventually.
    get the kids to help, yes thats one tip i'll note down for future!

i just managed to reach my work place, luckily in between the pouring rain as its raining season down here in Singapore, took me about an hour & half for 5km, with some pretty steep slope.

striped the bike, would label the bolt and nuts as advice! thanks so much Fred for all the helpful tips!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    If it is oil starvation, you may find damaged rings, cylinders, valve stems & guides, rockers, bearings of rockers, cam, cam bearings, and that is just the upper end.
    If the oil starvation is bad enough it could be crank bearings, con rod & con rod bearings to include wrist pin and piston.
    You might be advised to find a used replacement engine to use while you do a complete rebuild of your original.
    Form what you say, the engine is not safe to ride at all. Find a friend with a trailer.
    thanks phelonius! its complicated here in singapore, the law is very strict im not sure how possible it is to use a replacement engine ... trying to open up the engine now to see how bad it is ...

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post

I haven't seen the cylinder but I bet a lot of what looks bad is aluminum transferred to the steel cylinder lining and that can be cleaned up and you might have a usable though less than ideal cylinder. Honing or boring to the next oversize will definitely save the cylinder.

I have used many cylinders that others said wouldn't work but they worked fine.

thank you elime! would definitely need your help down the road to recommend replacement piston heads!

Oh, guess I didn't realize you had ridden 400 km after changing the filter...right then. If it is an issue with the filter, it would be some other issue than "that one".
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200; 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX 331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    Oh, guess I didn't realize you had ridden 400 km after changing the filter...right then. If it is an issue with the filter, it would be some other issue than "that one".
    Though it is just as bad ... I just opened up my oil filter, it's the correct one with 4 holes, but the oil filter compartment is filled with gooey metal chips.

haven't got the chance to pull the top and cylinder, but a very kind friend had brought his tool set so i can continue.

though here's what i managed to open up yesterday:

1/ Valve cover exhaust end (does this look like the valve is intact?)

2/ Valve cover carb end (does this look like the valve is intact?)

3/ Timing chain cover

4/ Oil filter

5/ Thick gooey metal chipped oil

6/ Oil filter (correct one with 4 holes

Good photos. Valve stem, keepers,spring, rocker, cam chain, chain tensioner,cam gear all look good.
    Amount of metal shaving at the oil filter does not look good.
    I believe things will not look pretty when you remove the cylinder head. Post more photos of what you find.
    But all is not lost. Now with tools we can lead through next steps. The videos and the thread r.e. base gasket repair should show the next disassembly steps.
    littletommy and kltrkmpf like this.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links