Engine stalls, terrible noise from the inside
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Engine stalls, terrible noise from the inside

Engine stalls, terrible noise from the inside

Good day everyone! Need some advice with my beloved 2010 TW200.

My bike just stalled yesterday, before it dies there were terrible clunking/scratching noise from the engine. It goes from running smoothly > to weakens > to clunking > to metal scratching as i try to ride it off the traffic to a safer place to inspect. The clunking noise worsen terribly each time I fire it up when it stops running. And then it goes from weak starting, to very difficult to fire up. Every time I fire it back up the clunking gets worst and worst until I decide I better just push it instead of riding it to avoid further damage.

There was no symptoms, everything seems to works fine, except although there was a slight but suspicious 'whistling' that had been going on for about a month, also the engine oil consumption had been bad, I need to refill about 0.6 little for every 500-600km, also the engine had been pretty hot the past few days. I thought I would ride to a trustable mechanic in Malaysia to get it inspected this weekend, but unfortunately the engine couldn't hold up for just 1 more day, and it is now parked inside Singapore, and I couldn't tow it across the border ...

Any idea what went wrong? Could it be the piston rings are shattered? Or could it be the valves? The clunking is so terrible it sounds to me like something is scratching very hard on the cylinder, I won't be surprise if the valves falls inside the cylinder as it sounds that bad to me, although it's highly unlikely the case, just wanna describe the terrible clunking/scratching noise ...
    Last edited by kltrkmpf; 01-22-2016 at 11:24 PM.

Sounds like it is going to need to have the whole top end rebuilt to me. Sorry to hear this my brother.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

You didn't just change the oil filter by any chance, did you?
    littletommy and kltrkmpf like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    You didn't just change the oil filter by any chance, did you?
    Thanks elime, i think you're spot on as unfortunately, i just did!! and i am very certain the 'whisteling' happends right after that. I changed the oil filter, rode about 400km frm Malaysia to Singapore, and then use it to commute 50km every week days for about only 17 days ...... so 400km + 850km (17days x 50km/day) = 1250km. now i'm having a very, very, very bad feeling. what would be the fatal mistake that i had made bro?
    Last edited by kltrkmpf; 01-22-2016 at 10:13 PM.

worst it im stuck in Singapore and it's notoriously expensive to fix bikes here!

Occasionally the wrong oil filter was vended by yamaha part distributors. It lacked the four holes on one end that permitted oil flow into the head's cam, valve train and other trickle-down oil passages.
    Pull your oil filter and inspect as a possible cause of failure. You could then take to filter vendor for possible recourse like a free new correct filter.
    So sorry to hear of your disaster.
    Are you mechanically inclined enough to attempt an engine re-built?
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Thanks Fred, I actually had just recently read about a case with wrong filter in our local TW group, same thing you mentioned man. When I read about the case I was like, not a problem to me, as I bought my own parts from local authorized yamaha distributor .... and now this happened.

Though I remember the box of the oil filter do states it is for TW200, but I'll have to check again.

As for re-building the engine myself, I don't have the tools and space, although I would totally want to attempt to do it myself, with help and guidance from this group.
    littletommy likes this.

I googled and this came up, I'm sure the oil filter is the correct one.

If I recall the gossip correctly a properly labeled box would actually contain the wrong filter.
    I asked about mechanical tools and skills thinking you could maybe diagnose the problem further before spending big money with a professional repair shop. Maybe network with your local TW group for advice, parts and service rcogmendations. Folks here helped me with advice and parts when I ingested a valve on my TW. My first step in evaluating problem was peering into spark plug hoe with a strong light after seeing I had no compression. Then I removed head to really asses damage. Took a few tools, an hour or two, and a clean place to put tanks and parts as I dissassembled. Good luck.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Thanks Fred, I looked it up and yeap you remembered it correctly, the box label could be wrong too!

I wish I had read this thread earlier, so I know how to check if the oil is flowing properly.
    TW Oil Change - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum

Now that you had mentioned, I'm thinking about the possibility of doing it myself, as I know where to get the parts, not a problem at all, i can borrow some wrenches from someone too ... what should I be expecting though for a top end rebuild?

These are the works that I can think of:
    1. Inspect damages by peaking through the spark plug hole
    2. Or take off the top all together, but I don't have a torque wrench, should I look for one? is torque wrench crucial for this kind of work?
    3. Inspect damages on cylinder, cylinder wall, anything else?
    4. New parts to get depends on the damage, but tentatively new gaskets (or gasket sealant), new piston with rings, anything else?
    5. What else should I look out for?
    toslow likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links