TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Maximum Risers

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 ·
For a short guy (5'8) I like my handlears high. Not ape-hanger high, but I like to be able to stand up on the pegs and not have to bend over to reach the bars. It makes for much more relaxed riding than the hunched-over motocross style some people seem to like.

I've noticed most people go with a 2" riser on the TW and call it good. I went with a 3" because it fit. Certainly an improvement, but not nearly as good as I'd like. For comparison, I have 5" of rise on my DR650 and 5.5" on my V-Strom, both using multiple risers connected together.

After posting about risers stuffs in (I think) the Moab 2016 thread, I got to thinking again about saying screw it and ordering the longer-length cables to make it possible. I called Motion Pro this morning. Gawd. $80 for a throttle cable set and $50 each for the clutch and brake cables. That's nearly 2x what I had anticipated.

So... I went to the garage and unbolted the bars. I removed the brake and clutch lines, knowing they were both too short, and stacked a set of the inexpensive Tusk 1-1/8" risers under the current Powermadd 3" riser and bolted it in place. I tested the throttle cable by turning the bars all the way to each end... Good, it didn't tighten. It's worth noting -- these are not TW200 throttle cables. Back when I got my TW, the throttle block was kinda screwed up, and the stock cables looked horrible. So I dug into my parts tubs and pulled out a DR650 throttle block and my OEM KLX250S throttle cables (which surprisingly, fit).

Anyway... the throttle cables will work. Good, there's $80 saved. The clutch cable is definitely too short, so there's $50. The brake cable... well, I can make it work I think, if I reroute it a little bit. I'll try that here in a bit. I had to send photos of the brake line's ends to Motion Pro to see if they can figure out the proper ends, so we'll see what they say. If they can do it, I'm inclined to get the brake cable anyway, because my stock one is just really, really nasty looking.

To go any higher than this (currently 4-1/8"), I'll have to do longer throttle cables, and a brake line if I don't do one now. I'm asking for +6" on these new lines.

I need to find my spare set of DR650 throttle cables, as I think they're even longer than the KLX ones. I have the 5" of rise on my DR using the stock cables, just rerouted creatively. I just don't remember if the carburetor end will work or not. If they do, this could be an economical way for people to upgrade their TW's... it's easy to find DR650 throttle blocks and cables on eBay for not a lot of money... certainly less than $80.

The catch is that for older TWs, the kill switch is built into the throttle block. So in my case, I replaced it with the kill switch from a late-model TW... and that took a little bit of rewiring to make it work.

Okay... yep, the stock brake line works fine. I pulled it out of the stock routing and it fits perfectly, and it looks like it'll fit even in the stock routing. Sweet.

Here are some photos...

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive engine part
Auto part Engine Vehicle Exhaust system
Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Car

See less See more
#4 ·
I was digging through my parts bin looking for something, and came across my OEM KLX250S clutch cable. It'll fit!! I just have to bend an aluminum tube that it passes through, so that it'll route properly. As I recall, the KLX clutch connected to the other side of the motor. But it'll be just long enough to reach the clutch lever. Woo!

Admiral: I'm short but I'm not THAT short! :)

#5 ·
Well, heck. This cable may not work. Note the photos. The first one shows how it needs to be for it to connect to the motor... but as you can see, I have no way to secure it to anything. The second photo (for the heck of it) shows the adjuster.

Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor

Auto part Tire Pipe Fuel line Suspension part

#7 ·
An OEM cable is too short... so I'll have to order the $48 longer cable from Motion Pro.

The upside is that I stood on the bike with the new risers in place, and I don't see ever needing to go taller... so all I need is the longer clutch line, NOT the longer brake line. The stock brake line length is fine. So I ordered a $29 (free shipping) OEM brake line to replace my ancient, crusty, nasty one that I concluded is shot.

#9 ·
If I get the Gascap Dude 1 inch risers and go 1.25 inches back, will my cables raise hell with me? ......MBW
No, that does not seem like too much of a stretch. You may have to re-route one cable, but I doubt it. I'm a lot taller than you and I went 1.5" up and 1.5" forward....(very different), and had zero problems.

#10 ·
Clutch cable conflict with any full wrap hand guards are often the source of problems when adding risers.
If so loosen hand guard and perches, then play around with various configurations are a solution may present itself. Equally problematic are the faux air scoops I have for my XT-225 tank.
Nobody warned me the scoops would necessitate rerouting clutch cable slightly.:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.