Engine stops running when choke is pushed in.
Close

Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By wrench-puller
  • 1 Post By JerseyJeeper
  • 3 Post By littletommy
  • 1 Post By scotti158
  • 3 Post By jbfla
  • 2 Post By pred
  • 1 Post By SHAG
  • 2 Post By littletommy

Thread: Engine stops running when choke is pushed in.

Question Engine stops running when choke is pushed in.

Hey guys, longtime biker and rider here with a TW200 I purchased new in March of this year. During the following three months I stored the bike indoors and today finally found the time to get it out doors and see how it rides.
    So, I unlocked it, placed it in Neutral, turned on the fuel, pulled out the choke and pressed the start button. It started up after about ten seconds of cranking and sounded good. As it heated up it was picking up RPMs but showed nothing on the Tach. when it was plenty hot (it was 94 degrees today) the exhaust pipe stopped smoking (the black paint was burning in). This was the first time it was started since a very brief start at the dealers (10 seconds just to show it could start). all seemed perfect until i pushed in the choke. It was just like when I turn the key off. Could the carb on a new bike prepped by a dealer get fouled by sitting for 2 and a half months? or should I look for an electrical issue. No start (cranks when choke is in but not so much as a sputter), starts quickly with the choke all the way out. Nothing as soon as I move the choke in even a fraction of an inch. Any help and or directions would be greatly appreciated. FWIW, my dealer has a dubious reputation for poor work/quality in the parts and service area.

There is a little knob for fast idle on the side of the carb below the choke knob, thread that in a few turns and see if raising the idle helps at all as it could be that it is set too low. Failing that, I would return it to the dealer or at least to another Yamaha dealer close by if you don't trust your purchasing dealer and have them check out the carb for you. There is nothing electrical on the choke that would shut off the engine, just that when you come off the primer circuit (choke) the idle circuit must be plugged or out of adjustment. Best let a dealer clean / reset this if it is still under warranty as you can void the warranty if you were to cause any damage to the engine due to carb settings. Best of luck and hope its just the low idle setting!
    Darth, Fred and littletommy like this.
    2009 TW200, Jimbo shield, 47&55T rear with DID chain, Maxxis Ceros Rear, Kendra 270 front, extended swing arm, 1"Risers, Rear rack, Raised front fender, XOG GPS.

Where are you in NJ PJ?

Quote Originally Posted by PJinNJ View Post
    Hey guys, longtime biker and rider here with a TW200 I purchased new in March of this year. During the following three months I stored the bike indoors and today finally found the time to get it out doors and see how it rides.
    So, I unlocked it, placed it in Neutral, turned on the fuel, pulled out the choke and pressed the start button. It started up after about ten seconds of cranking and sounded good. As it heated up it was picking up RPMs but showed nothing on the Tach. when it was plenty hot (it was 94 degrees today) the exhaust pipe stopped smoking (the black paint was burning in). This was the first time it was started since a very brief start at the dealers (10 seconds just to show it could start). all seemed perfect until i pushed in the choke. It was just like when I turn the key off. Could the carb on a new bike prepped by a dealer get fouled by sitting for 2 and a half months? or should I look for an electrical issue. No start (cranks when choke is in but not so much as a sputter), starts quickly with the choke all the way out. Nothing as soon as I move the choke in even a fraction of an inch. Any help and or directions would be greatly appreciated. FWIW, my dealer has a dubious reputation for poor work/quality in the parts and service area.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think it had ethanol gas in it and with it sitting there, you now have to clean the carb, especially the pilot jet.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    I think it had ethanol gas in it and with it sitting there, you now have to clean the carb, especially the pilot jet.
    My thoughts also.
    littletommy likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Pilot jet could easily be clogged in 3 months of sitting, ethanol or not.

Doubt the dealer will clean it for free.

At some point, the cap over the pilot screw needs to be removed, and the pilot screw adjusted.

jb
    Last edited by jbfla; 06-20-2016 at 03:55 PM.
    2017 Triumph Bonneville T-120.......2015 CSC Zong
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Just to note,
    On the side of the carb there is a Phillips head screw near the bottom of the bowl,
    If the bike will sit for a week, You can loosen the screw and drain the bowl in 10 seconds and avoid these troubles,
    I never used to drain bowls when gas was petroleum,
    Now I drain anything that will sit for a week, Including allowing the mower to run dry after every use.
    Corn just aint petroleum,
    Peter B
    jbfla and littletommy like this.

I usually don't warm my bike up. Start with full choke in neutral with clutch pulled in. Head out in about 10 seconds. Push choke in halfway about 200 yards down the road and then after another couple hundred more yards push choke all the way in. This all done at speed with full or 3/4 throttle. Put fresh gas in and try this. If after a few miles when you stop, the engine bogs or quits when you give it throttle, the carb needs to come off to unplug the pilot jet
    littletommy likes this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!
    05-BMW1200GS- Rock Red 102k miles
    2013-TW200 - 5k- miles

Use a strong dose of this before tearing into the carb or taking it to the dealer. Use 3 or 4 ounces in a tank of fresh gas.

fishguy and jbfla like this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Sponosred Links