Seat concepts foam density question - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Seat concepts foam density question

Long been said firmer foams will break down over time becoming closer to the standard. Much depends on frequency of use and time.
    littletommy and Ken like this.
    Now Hidden Content on my 2nd TW - 2002 TW200 33k miles - 130 main 34 pilot - 244 Golden Boy Front - 34 BS rear - ATV Bar - New Rally Perches, Master Cylinder, and levers. This one may take a bit to whip into shape but we'll get there!

Alright well I got my seat concepts seat last week and had a chance to ride around 60 miles on it last weekend. It's a little more comfortable than the stock but as great as I had hoped. On my ktm there was a day and night difference but not so much on the tw. This surprised me since there's so much to work with on the tw. In fact, I think my skinny ktm seat is actually more comfortable than the big giant tw seat.

My disappointments with seat concepts are they don't offer any options such a tall seat or (colored stitching anymore) and to be honest I feel they are way overpriced.

If I had to do it again, I would probably try another brand but it's to late for that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tuna likes this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Quote Originally Posted by Deepseadan View Post
    ..... It's a little more comfortable than the stock but as great as I had hoped. ....
    When I got mine it felt the same way, but after a few dozen hours it felt better....I don't know if the foam broke in or my butt just got used to it. I have about 5 hour endurance now.
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 11-22-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Deep, Your not the only one that was disappointed with the SC seat. I put one on my XT225 and really, like you was not that impressed. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by tuna View Post
    Deep, Your not the only one that was disappointed with the SC seat. I put one on my XT225 and really, like you was not that impressed. JMO
    Yeah I've come to the conclusion that seat concepts focuses their r&d and energy towards higher priced bikes or maybe bikes that have smaller seats like my ktm. I don't think the Yamaha xt's or tw's are very big money makers or sellers for them, so they don't put as much into them.

So, what other seat makers are out there besides Seat Concepts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update

Ok so now that I've had my seat concepts seat for about 3-4 months I still feel it was to firm. It was slightly more comfortable than the stock seat, but not by much. Again I weigh 225lbs and I got their standard density foam which is 160lbs - 240lbs.

So this last Thursday I called seat concepts and asked them if I could change my foam density down one grade softer. They have a company policy that in the first year they'll swap out the foam or change densities for a simple install charge of $25. I live an hour away and had the day off, so I drove up had them install a softer foam in my seat.

A half hour later they handed me my seat and immediately I could tell it was way way way softer. I was a little concerned that I made a mistake and went to soft and may be feeling the seat pan now.

Since I was near a bunch of my normal trails I decided to take a couple hour ride over one of the bumpiest trails I know of and put the new foam to the test. In the first minute I realized this was a very positive change. It is much better now, pretty much exactly what I'd been hoping for. The seat is so good that I feel like I have a little extra travel in the suspension. I never even got close to feeling the seat pan either, even over the biggest bumps. I would recommend this to anyone my weight 225lbs or under.

So a big thanks to seat concepts and their customer service for doing this for me. I feel like this seat couldn't be better.

Again to sum it up I now have a -1 from the standard tw 200 density and I weigh 225lbs. If you lift up the foam it will say in black marker what you have. If it only says tw 200 and no plus or minuses then you have a standard density foam.
    littletommy, Tweaker, Fred and 1 others like this.

Good info Dan. I think I'll heed your advice and get the softer density foam when I order my seat.
    littletommy likes this.

Good feedback!
    How's the slant or tilt? I have a slight bit more of an angle towards tank than I would like. Is it the same? What about the height?
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by socalnative View Post
    Good feedback!
    How's the slant or tilt? I have a slight bit more of an angle towards tank than I would like. Is it the same? What about the height?
    Not sure if you're asking in comparison to the stock seat or the more dense seat concepts foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links