2005 TW200 wont kick over, need advice - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: 2005 TW200 wont kick over, need advice

Given that it sounds like it’s on the HT side – you have three (maybe four) possibilities remaining.

Timing – although the timing on the TW is static (non-adjustable), there is a remote possibility the chain position has either jumped, or has been set up wrongly

Duff CDI – this is rare, but not unknown (and notoriously hard to check). Do a forum search on “checking the cdi with a timing light”, though you may first need the engine to actually run

Magneto failure – not as crazy as it sounds, one of the pick-up magnets may be out of whack (sender )

The last one is the ignition coil itself – not the end of the world in terms of accessibility and cost – but check (all) the connections first

So – unless you’re into some major surgery and other $$$ outlay – you either need to start swapping parts from another TW, or throw it at a dealer for diagnosis (any dealer who knows his stuff should be able to give you an answer within an hour)

I just find it strange that it backfires occasionally – this implies that spark and fuel are present

Even if both intake boots where cracked, it should at least try to run .....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Given that it sounds like it’s on the HT side – you have three (maybe four) possibilities remaining.

Timing – although the timing on the TW is static (non-adjustable), there is a remote possibility the chain position has either jumped, or has been set up wrongly

Duff CDI – this is rare, but not unknown (and notoriously hard to check). Do a forum search on “checking the cdi with a timing light”, though you may first need the engine to actually run

Magneto failure – not as crazy as it sounds, one of the pick-up magnets may be out of whack (sender )

The last one is the ignition coil itself – not the end of the world in terms of accessibility and cost – but check (all) the connections first

So – unless you’re into some major surgery and other $$$ outlay – you either need to start swapping parts from another TW, or throw it at a dealer for diagnosis (any dealer who knows his stuff should be able to give you an answer within an hour)

I just find it strange that it backfires occasionally – this implies that spark and fuel are present

Even if both intake boots where cracked, it should at least try to run .....
    Thats the really hard part, because it backfires sometimes, that is where valves might make sense. maybe they adjusted and just tightened them to zero tolerance(prior owner)?
    Purple and Blockhead like this.
    2002 TW200
    1998 DR350
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Worth a look certainly ....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

All good replies here so not much to add except that I agree if it kind of backfires, sometimes, it's sparking and there's some kind of flammable mixture getting ignited, even if it was from you squirting in starting fluid, wd40 or gasoline.

And given everything a good peripheral checking, except the actual valve lash adjustment and timing chain.

I'd give the valve clearance a quick check. If they are good next I'd check the timing chain.
    If they were tight that would cause a loss of compression and early firing, I think.

I've had bikes/cars/engine have good spark, fuel, no air leaks, but the valves being too tight or the chain/belt was off a tooth and they acted like this. Big time backfires through out the carb. One actually ran but was a cross between rough idle and constant backfires.

Keep at it, you'll find the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Mat twinges View Post
    Have you tried another plug? I have had a plug that looked good, sparked when I looked at it (ground to the motor) but the insulator had a small crack that would not let it fire correctly. Took me forever to figure out the issue. I think you have, just trying to think of something from your exhaustive list that you might not have tried?
    Brand new plug, did that first thing
    Tweaker and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by socalnative View Post
    All good replies here so not much to add except that I agree if it kind of backfires, sometimes, it's sparking and there's some kind of flammable mixture getting ignited, even if it was from you squirting in starting fluid, wd40 or gasoline.

And given everything a good peripheral checking, except the actual valve lash adjustment and timing chain.

I'd give the valve clearance a quick check. If they are good next I'd check the timing chain.
    If they were tight that would cause a loss of compression and early firing, I think.

I've had bikes/cars/engine have good spark, fuel, no air leaks, but the valves being too tight or the chain/belt was off a tooth and they acted like this. Big time backfires through out the carb. One actually ran but was a cross between rough idle and constant backfires.

Keep at it, you'll find the answer!

I agree, lots of good answers. But most of what they're telling me I've done except for testing the CDI since I don't have another Tw

I think I remember seeing a stripped bolt to access the timing chain, possibly the guy I bought it from came to the conclusion it was that but couldn't access it since it's stripped, I don't know if the valve bolts are stripped ,I think I remember see the front valve access panel leaking some oil but I'm unsure if it's from there.

I'll try what most are saying tho, it doesn't hurt to try .

Think i found the source of the problem, a mushroomed intake valve. maybe the cause, I'm not sure. ill post some pics of what i saw and did and let yall tell me what you think. I also removed the nut from the intake valve.

IMG_20170127_170401.jpg

IMG_20170127_170825.jpg

IMG_20170127_172116.jpg

IMG_20170127_172218.jpg
    Tweaker likes this.

That's not helping! You can find lots of examples of the valve stems doing similar things in the forum, but that looks catastrophic. Were the other valves mis-adjusted? Looks like a really bad PO went crazy tightening the valves. Hopefully i'ts just one, but that could flatten the cam lobes, maybe bend rocker arms?
    2002 TW200
    1998 DR350
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Quote Originally Posted by Mat twinges View Post
    That's not helping! You can find lots of examples of the valve stems doing similar things in the forum, but that looks catastrophic. Were the other valves mis-adjusted? Looks like a really bad PO went crazy tightening the valves. Hopefully i'ts just one, but that could flatten the cam lobes, maybe bend rocker arms?

I thought it wasn't, I've taken Honda engines apart and never seen anything as ridiculous as this, I'm assuming that's why the hex bolts were sorta stripped, maybe a dumb mechanic or something but it should look exactly as flat as the exhaust end correct?

Hopefully it's only the valve that's mushroomed. I'll check if it even moves when I turn the engine. But it's still getting replaced.

I'm gonna take it to a motorcycle mechanic and see what he can tell me and what he thinks, not that I can afford for him to fix it. Just his opinion and what not.

Thanks to all, but I have a feeling there's still something else stopping the engine from starting.

Ken
    It looks like you found the issue. Pull that rocker out and see if the stem is gone or just the adjusting screw. You may be lucky. This looks like the one on you tube where the guy never loosened the lock nut and tried to adjust it with a pair of pliers.
    socalnative likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links