What can I do to make my tdub start and idle better? - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: What can I do to make my tdub start and idle better?

You really think the tdub is one of the best? I guess it's my first one and I just picked it up from a guy inbthe local paper so I never felt like I was riding anything special. Check out my other ride, this baby is not comfortable but it's fun
    Attached Images Attached Images

My elevation is 1300'. My jets are 114 and 40. Pilot was 2.5 turns out. Carb looks clean but I'll soak it anyway. All springs and orings were in their correct places. I'll clean it up and run it checking for intake boot leaks. Then what do I do? Change a jet, shim the needle ?
    elime likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokon84 View Post
    Those carb boots are pricy if I remember right and mine are pretty stiff more than likely 20 years old
    I ordered one for a friend off ebay from a link, I think LT posted. It was about $15 to the door and fit pretty good.
    littletommy likes this.
    1991 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think it was Elime (Tony) who found those. Great at that price!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyterx View Post
    I ordered one for a friend off ebay from a link, I think LT posted. It was about $15 to the door and fit pretty good.
    Ken likes this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

my elevation is 1300'. My jets say 114 and 40 on them. I only run premium 91 octane fuel, no ethanol. my pilot is 2.5 turns out. I took the carb apart today and letting the jets soak overnight. its clean clean clean. there was a crack in the intake boot, but honesty I cant see where it would affect it, the crack was under the hose clamp. I'll prly get a new boot soon just because. That intake boot was really on there, took two of us pulling to get it off, is that normal? or has it gotten hard and stiff over time? Also, I just watched some guy named motomax on youtube doing some crazy wheelies on a tdub. Mine wont do a wheelie if you try! He said his only mechanical mods are a slip on exhaust and a new carb jet that was two sizes larger than stock. Could that really wake up a tdub that much? that's what I want!

sorry for the overpost. I'm having technical issues. got a new laptop with windows 10 hate hate hate it. slow
    Tweaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokon84 View Post
    My elevation is 1300'. My jets are 114 and 40. Pilot was 2.5 turns out. Carb looks clean but I'll soak it anyway. All springs and orings were in their correct places. I'll clean it up and run it checking for intake boot leaks. Then what do I do? Change a jet, shim the needle ?
    Make sure the little o-ring on the idle mixture screw is making a good seal. Also there is a small o-ring that goes between the float bowl and the body of the carb. I am not sure it is necessary but I know for sure having it there does no harm. See pic below.

Also install a brand new #114 high speed jet. No matter how good the existing jet looks get a new one. It won't help the idle but it might help everywhere else.

The reason it might help is that the hole in the center of the jet erodes causing a richer mixture and poor performance. People then install a new #116 high speed jet and the bike runs much better and the conclusion is reached it needed a bigger jet / richer mixture but the reality is the new #116 jet is leaner than a worn out #114 jet and a worn out #114 jet can look to be in excellent condition -- even when using a magnifying glass.

P7110063.JPG
    jbfla, Tweaker and joeband like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Did you mention a valve adjustment. Hard start, needs the choke until very warm, all sound like an intake valve that is too tight until engine is warm. If they have not been done, check them. Just thinking on the basic side.
    Tweaker, Lyterx and Fred like this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Central New MexicoHidden Content

I can check the valves but they would have been Adjusted when I rebuilt the top end last year. It seems to start the same way now as it did before the rebuild. It runs fine after it's warm. Just very finicky until then. I am fortunate to have both elec and kick start but I despise the kick because it's hard to start. Anybody have any thoughts on aftermarket exhaust and bigger jets? It would be fun to raise the front wheel every now and again. And my current exhaust is developing holes in the bottom side.

Would this be enough to cause an air leak?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    littletommy likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links