What can I do to make my tdub start and idle better? - Page 4
Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: What can I do to make my tdub start and idle better?

Well I haven't been on the forum in a while. Installed new 114 and 40 jets in the carb. Also put new oring on the pilot screw. All Yamaha brand parts. Thought it ran decent initially. It after being parked for a few weeks it starts like crap. EVen with the choke on it took longer than ever to warm enough to even get the throttle to advance without killing it. I tried spraying wd40 around the intake boot to check for an air leak but didn't seem to affect it. What the heck is wrong with my tdub? I just want something I don't have to tinker with all the time ! Since day one when the motor locked up on this thing all I've done is work on it. Maybe I'll sell it and get a ski boat !
    Ken likes this.

You have to ride it more and if you are using gas with ethanol in it and then parking it for long periods of time, try some Stabil or something like that. It's clogging up your pilot jet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokon84 View Post
    Well I haven't been on the forum in a while. Installed new 114 and 40 jets in the carb. Also put new oring on the pilot screw. All Yamaha brand parts. Thought it ran decent initially. It after being parked for a few weeks it starts like crap. EVen with the choke on it took longer than ever to warm enough to even get the throttle to advance without killing it. I tried spraying wd40 around the intake boot to check for an air leak but didn't seem to affect it. What the heck is wrong with my tdub? I just want something I don't have to tinker with all the time ! Since day one when the motor locked up on this thing all I've done is work on it. Maybe I'll sell it and get a ski boat !
    Ken and Tweaker like this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Ken
    You may want to find a member from a nearby location, altitude, weather conditions and find their setting, pilot jets, main jets. Have you actually rebuilt, (cleaned out in a cleaner, used brushes or ran small wires through all the passages)? I had the 114/ 40 in mine and I am in Texas and it ran well until the introduction of ethanol. I finally went to a 116/ 38. No lean thumping now at higher speeds. I would think you need to go leaner on yours based on altitude etc. I would wait for a response from someone near your area.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Cut those rubber tabs off and you will be able to rotate the carburetor without ripping the manifold.
    Good tip! I cut off just the one on the right side (which was starting to tear from a few previous carb rotations). This allows the carb to rotate so I can access the float bowl from the left side (gear shift side) of the bike without tearing up the intake boot. The remaining tab allows me to quickly rotate it back right to where it belongs without thinking too much.
    Ken likes this.

TW - part time "job"

Boat - full time "job"

I'd stick with the TW you're gonna be an expert soon if you're not already !
    Ken, Dryden-Tdub and Tweaker like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

The carb has been taken apart and cleaned more than once recently. I soak it in a gallon of carb soak then clean it all up with aerosol carb cleaner and compressed air. I only use premium fuel. I'll mess with the rich/lean screw some more...I think it's set at 2 turns out. Maybe I'll take the carb to my local chainsaw shop and let em put it in their ultrasonic cleaner
    littletommy, Tweaker, Ken and 2 others like this.

Perhaps time to go back and check validity of some assumptions.
    Was correct valve adjustment confirmed since the re-build last year?
    Ken, Dryden-Tdub and PlacerLode like this.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

I have not verified the valve clearances since the rebuild. I should check that. I'm really no expert when it comes to valves, I have some feeler gauges and I think I can handle it, but what does my condition suggest about my valve clearances? Intake or exhaust too small or too big ?
    Ken likes this.

Adjusted valves....set them at max clearance of .004 intake and .006 exhaust. They were slightly tighter than that when I checked them before starting. They were at .003 intake and .005 exhaust. I saw no noticeable difference in starting the bike. Checked the idle screw...it's at 2 turns out. I guess I'll havta take the carb off and have it ultrasonically cleaned.
    PlacerLode likes this.

I left the stock pilot jet in my wife's bike and it is running crappy after sitting a little while. When I took it out is slightly plugged. I think there is something in the gasahol that is carroding the pilot jets. This is the second time I've cleaned it in 6 months. Even using some Seafoam and stabil. My tanks are almost new. The best cure seems to be ride it more.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponosred Links