Race tech fork cartridge emulators and springs
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Race tech fork cartridge emulators and springs

What do you guys know about the emulators and springs? Has anyone here purchased either or both from procycle?

I recently purchased the procycle 19kg red heavy duty spring for the rear shock and it feels great at slow speeds and high, but the forks bug me more than ever. I've raised the level to 125mm and it's still not good enough. With this new rear spring the bike feels like an actual dirt bike now and I want the front to be just as capable.

So I've been researching and watching videos on the emulators for a while but I'm not sure I understand the install all that well. On procycle they claim the emulators simply sit on top and are held in by the main spring making it a simple install. When I watch race tech's video they show the damping rod holes being drilled larger. Has anyone here installed them?

Also for the fork springs, can you post which ones you bought and your weight and how they feel?
    Ken and mountain redbelly like this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Ken
    I am no expert but here is my experience though it is not on the TW. I have a 1986 (YX600). The forks were really spongy, worse than the TW. I would go around a corner and couldn't hold a line. I ordered a pair of FZ600 forks which had factory emulators. My fork tubes ended up being in better shape so I Frankensteined them. I ended up with the emulators and FZ springs in the radian forks. I can now pick a line through a corner and hold it. I can change position in a corner and have complete control. I have no idea how to adjust them. Mine have to come out of the forks for adjustment. They are still set as I got them. Listen to others about TW results before making up your mind. I think I need the rear spring like you got, mine seems awful soft.

Ken
    You may also want to check out the tw200 adjustable fork caps on eBay. I am considering them. I added some washers 130 on the fluid level and mine feel a lot better.
    mountain redbelly likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I replaced my steel fork preloads with PVC pipe. I started with 3/4" longer than stock and it was too stiff. I cut it back to 1/2" longer than the stock preloads and it works well for me. I Weigh about 210....You might try 3/4" before you buy new springs but I think you are right on the cusp of needing new springs at your weight....
    Ken likes this.

Not sure how they compare to emulators, but I recently changed out my fork springs for Hyperpro progressive springs along with a Procycle white (15 kg) rear spring. I just have one desert ride since, but it was a noticeable difference, especially in whoops.
    Ken likes this.
    Likes Things With Wheels

1987 TW200
    2009 KLX250s
    2012 CRF250x

Quote Originally Posted by lbxr View Post
    I replaced my steel fork preloads with PVC pipe. I started with 3/4" longer than stock and it was too stiff. I cut it back to 1/2" longer than the stock preloads and it works well for me. I Weigh about 210....You might try 3/4" before you buy new springs but I think you are right on the cusp of needing new springs at your weight....
    Good advice, I'm going to look into this first. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ken likes this.

Yes buy stiffer fork springs and emulators to make the TW front suspension much better than it is. To install emulators, you must remove the damper rods from your forks, drill out the existing compression dampening holes to a larger diameter as well as drilling an additional set of holes. Reinstall. The emulator sits on top of the damper rod inside of the fork. The fork spring goes on top of it to hold it down tight. The emulator does not drop in on top of the spring. To get the emulators adjusted correctly for you will take much time and testing to get it right. I'm sure that if this is done, the results will be well worth the effort.

Why do I need to drill holes? Because the damper rod and the holes in it are what the oil flows in and out of now controlling your dampening action, and you are drilling out the holes to allow oil to pass by unrestricted, because now the damper rod won't be controlling oil flow anymore, the emulator will. The Emulator is basically a valve body set up to "emulate" the function of cartridge forks in a damper forks system like the TW's. Why do I need to spend so much time adjusting? The downside of now having adjustment, is doing the adjustments! The emulator is generically set up for the fork diameter, so you'll need to adjust it for your bike, you and your riding style since the emulator now IS your front suspension, to see it's benefits you'll need to spend some time in tuning it.

Funny you should post about this now, as I am expecting my order of suspension parts tomorrow. I have done extensive searching and reading on the forum about suspension. There is not much information about emulators. I found this post helpful from jb882... Checking fork oil and setting SAG. I know that Rhodetrip has installed a couple of sets of emulator in a couple of his bikes, and he raves about the results. A few others have as well, they all seem satisfied with the purchase and improvement.

I have also purchased and began reading "Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible" You may have seen it for sale on Procycle's site. I bought the Kindle version on Amazon for $13. Link to both Kindle and print versions on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2m720XG The book is totally worth it!

The bottom line is that this bike was built for a 140 lb. Japanese man. Most Americans are more substantial than that, and I and others double it. So, clearly the suspension is not set up for me. I will be doing the full meal deal on both front and rear suspension in the near future. I'm sure that I'll put up a detailed thread, and I'll try to get video of most of it too.
    Last edited by lrppcer; 02-21-2017 at 02:48 AM.
    -LRPPCER aka. WA Larry...I Live For This

2004 TW200, 128 main jet, 2 washers on the needle, 2-3/8 turns, smoke Jimbo shield, Shinko 241 trials type front tire, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip, Cycle Pumps, Custom racks, GMAX GM11D helmet, Sena SMH10, Dowco Iron Rider tank bag, Garmin etrex 20 gps, Ram mount.

See my adventure blog at...Hidden Content

I'd just like to compliment you Larry. You've posted up a few really nice write ups lately!! Nice job!!

Quote Originally Posted by lrppcer View Post
    Yes buy stiffer fork springs and emulators to make the TW front suspension much better than it is. To install emulators, you must remove the damper rods from your forks, drill out the existing compression dampening holes to a larger diameter as well as drilling an additional set of holes. Reinstall. The emulator sits on top of the damper rod inside of the fork. The fork spring goes on top of it to hold it down tight. The emulator does not drop in on top of the spring. To get the emulators adjusted correctly for you will take much time and testing to get it right. I'm sure that if this is done, the results will be well worth the effort.

Why do I need to drill holes? Because the damper rod and the holes in it are what the oil flows in and out of now controlling your dampening action, and you are drilling out the holes to allow oil to pass by unrestricted, because now the damper rod won't be controlling oil flow anymore, the emulator will. The Emulator is basically a valve body set up to "emulate" the function of cartridge forks in a damper forks system like the TW's. Why do I need to spend so much time adjusting? The downside of now having adjustment, is doing the adjustments! The emulator is generically set up for the fork diameter, so you'll need to adjust it for your bike, you and your riding style since the emulator now IS your front suspension, to see it's benefits you'll need to spend some time in tuning it.

Funny you should post about this now, as I am expecting my order of suspension parts tomorrow. I have done extensive searching and reading on the forum about suspension. There is not much information. I found this post helpful from jb882... Checking fork oil and setting SAG. I know that Rhodetrip has installed a couple of sets of emulator in a couple of his bikes, and he raves about the results. A few others have as well, they all seem satisfied with the purchase and improvement.

I have also purchased and began reading "Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible" You may have seen it for sale on Procycle's site. I bought the Kindle version on Amazon for $13. Link to both Kindle and print versions on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2m720XG The book is totally worth it!

The bottom line is that this bike was built for a 140 lb. Japanese man. Most Americans are more substantial than that, and I and others double it. So, clearly the suspension is not set up for me. I will be doing the full meal deal on both front and rear suspension in the near future. I'm sure that I'll put up a detailed thread, and I'll try to get video of most of it too.
    lrppcer, Tweaker, Ken and 1 others like this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Jim and I are running theses in our front forks and they are one of the best mods I have done. Worth it!

Ronnydog

Quote Originally Posted by ronnydog View Post
    Jim and I are running theses in our front forks and they are one of the best mods I have done. Worth it!

Ronnydog
    Would you mind posting how you installed them and your weight and settings?
    Tweaker and Ken like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links