TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

A Battery Question

5K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Ken 
#1 ·
My '96 is needing a new battery. Looking at the Shorai Lithium battery (LFX14L2-BS12) Just wondering if anybody here can give some feedback about this battery before I buy it. Thanks everyone!

#7 ·
This post has been deleted
#14 · (Edited)
I use two ceiling mounted BT 4 position chargers for bikes at home. There is also a NOCO 4 position charger (it does 6 and 12v) for loose batteries, mostly 6v.

All of the other chargers are BT lithium wall warts at the remote locations that remain connected to the bikes and plugged into the wall. Except that there is no constant electricity. Every month or so, I run the extension cord to the community outlet for an overnight top off.

Usually, the chargers are blinking float charge after 45 minutes unless it is the K100. That takes about 2 hrs.

The BT batteries only need to be charged when they are in a bike that has a voltage draw. Harley Ultra, K100 most notably.

Sizing the BT batteries is more of a "what fits" than by electrical load. Have had ZERO problems.

Wish they made a 6v for the horde of small bikes around here.

#15 · (Edited)
I have been looking at these batteries. When I get through playing with the cells I bought and if they don't work out I may buy 2 of these to try. Almost all of these lithium motorcycle batteries have lifepo4 cells in them with BMS circuits to protect from over charging and discharging them too far. They most likely have a charge controller in them to keep the charge voltage below 14.4 V. They don't mind sitting partially discharged it doesn't hurt them no sulfating. But float charging them when they are full is not good for them it reduces capacity. Ideally a lithium charger should turn off and then back on after a voltage set point these batteries may have that circuit in them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V...id=a8962ad4-23d1-45fe-ace1-7579af459935&tpp=1

You can get 2 for @ $100.

#17 ·
I have been looking at these batteries. When I get through playing with the cells I bought and if they don't work out I may buy 2 of these to try. Almost all of these lithium motorcycle batteries have lifepo4 cells in them with BMS circuits to protect from over charging and discharging them too far. They most likely have a charge controller in them to keep the charge voltage below 14.4 V. They don't mind sitting partially discharged it doesn't hurt then no sulfating. But float charging them when they are full is not good for them it reduces capacity. Ideally a lithium charger should turn off and then back on after a voltage set point these batteries may have that circuit in them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V...id=a8962ad4-23d1-45fe-ace1-7579af459935&tpp=1

You can get 2 for @ $100.
The link you provided looks like they are manufactured in the same plant as the WPS branded batteries I posted. I did not see a two year warranty on the ones you posted though? I may have missed it.

Tom

#21 ·
I have the Battery Tender lithium battery and the BT lithium charger - had it for the last 3 months. Very happy thus far. There were several nights that got down into the teens here and the TW always turned over quickly and started right up. A little over 1/3 the size of stock battery, way lighter and said to have a much longer service life.

#22 · (Edited)
The old lead acid battery was not doing well this spring. Several failure to starts. After charging up, the old battery read 12.8 at its highest. Still not doing well and so I have a good excuse to buy fancy bike stuff.
Technology Electronic device Measuring instrument Wire Electronics accessory

Chose the Battery Tender lithium battery. Staff at Battery Tender told me that charging with my Battery Tender Jr (for all batteries) would be fine. Chose the 120 as it was smaller. Cost $84 on Amazon. The 240 specs said it was 5.27" and my battery box sure seems to be 5" wide otherwise I may have gone next size up. Here is a comparison of size. The battery is terribly light.
Battery Electronic device Technology Automotive battery Electronics accessory

The lithium came out of the box reading 13. After charge up here.
Technology Measuring instrument Electronic device Wire Tool

I used a couple of bits of pipe insulation to add to the foam inserts that came with the battery. I used all of this fill material and still the battery feels as if it may move. I'll keep an eye on this.
Vehicle Car Radio-controlled car Tire Auto part
Rectangle

#25 ·
I now have the Battery Tender batteries in both TW's and my 1600. Made a "battery box adapter" for the TWE's instead of trying to use the foam blocks that were supplied with the batteries.

Lets see a picture scotti158. Your adapter sounds interesting

#33 ·
Battery Tender and Battery Tender Jr. charger for me in my '99. They told me the batteries are sent "not" fully charged after I ruined two of them. They replaced them for me free, but I had to pay shipping to them. Yikes! They told me if I discharged them too much, they would never re-charge. So far, I love my BT battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.