2009 TW NO Spark full time transportation please help - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: 2009 TW NO Spark full time transportation please help

Here is what the manual shows to do

Quote Originally Posted by methamphetasaur View Post
    The source coil is only going to have voltage if the bike is running. Check it while cranking the starter. It should have low voltage ac volts.

But... It sounds like the problem is a bad coil. The primary side should have a smallish ohms reading, but the secondary should have a large megaohms reading. If it's getting the same reading that means it's shorted to the primary.

Edit: I just looked at the picture and saw that it was 16.9 kΩ. I don't know exactly what the spec is but that sounds like a good number to me.

Here is what the manual shows to do if your Starter is turning but no spark. I am just not confident in my use of the multi meter was looking for advice before shelling out $$$.
    scan_000113.jpgscan_000114.jpgscan_000115.jpg

Did you try a new plug?
    littletommy likes this.
    Retired guy Central Iowa, Lots of Hobby's

Yes a couple and a inline spark tester
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I don't mean to make what sounds like a dumb suggestion, but is the run switch on? I only asked because over the years Ive fixed several ATV's for people that would just turn over and not crank because they weren't getting spark because the run switch was in the off position. I'm not sure if the TW will even turn over with the run switch in the off position (im not home so I cant check) but its a thought.

Just like I've watched a few friends over the years go nuts working on carbs and checking spark because their machine died and wouldn't start back because they were out of gas.......
    littletommy and Ken like this.
    2007 Yamaha XT225
    2003 Yamaha Banshee 350
    2003 Polaris Sportsman 500
    1985 Honda 350X
    1969 Honda CT90

At first that is what I thought it might be. The bike was acting weird not starting when hot and I found if I just bumped the start switch it would start. It has always turned over. With the run switch (kill switch is what I call it) off bike will not turn over at all. It's doing what it should. Same with kick stand switch and clutch lever switch and neutral switch. Bike just not getting spark. According to the manual it could be CDI, pick up coil, source coil, ignition coil or a Dalit in the harness. My guess is the battery failed caused something else to fry. Just not confident in my attempt at meter testing those parts and after looking at the cost for replacing the CDI and source coil etc... I'd be nice to have a back up opinion before dropping $600-$700 into an engine with 50k of hot hard riding. I've done nothing to the engine but oil and plugs. Might be better to buy a new motor or a whole new bike. In September 2016 I did tires tubs cutch friction plates steering bearings chain and sprockets. So it would also be nice to keep this one running. 🤞
    Last edited by msmiller; 03-06-2017 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Additional
    littletommy and Ken like this.

Ken
    Good luck. Coils are relatively cheap. The rest,CDI etc are not.
    littletommy likes this.

You are doing a great job of trouble shooting. The high tension lead from the coil to spark plug resistance was a little high probably old. You could replace. The source coil if measured correctly was 0. I think you found a problem.

Volt ohm meters are worth every penny.
    Ken likes this.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, weld on foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by msmiller View Post
    Here is what the manual shows to do if your Starter is turning but no spark. I am just not confident in my use of the multi meter was looking for advice before shelling out $$$.
    scan_000113.jpgscan_000114.jpgscan_000115.jpg
    On the second page you have written 16.89 next to the primary resistance check. Is this 16.89Ω or 16.89kΩ? I ask because if your meter is in the 20k setting like the picture in your first post then the primary resistance is 16,890.0Ω instead of the 0.18-0.28Ω it should be; which is very incorrect.

Even for the secondary 16.89 is quite a bit higher than the 6-9kΩ it should be.

If the source coil reads 0Ω that is also not goodlike. Make sure you did that right and have good contact to the wire with the meter leads. Zero ohms means some kind of unwanted ground.
    Last edited by methamphetasaur; 03-07-2017 at 02:51 AM.
    msmiller, Fred and Ken like this.

Also, for future reference- when the manual says "disconnect coil from wiring harness" it just means unplug it, not remove it from the bike entirely. You have to replace fluids and gaskets now regardless whether or not the problem is in there.
    msmiller and Ken like this.

Was frustrated tried to get a reading on the Green Brown wires on meter with it in the bike. Took it out to bring it to someone that knows what their doing. Funny I have yet to find that :O) Besides an oil change and a $10 gasket is much cheaper then a $270 Source coil. :O)

Quote Originally Posted by methamphetasaur View Post
    Also, for future reference- when the manual says "disconnect coil from wiring harness" it just means unplug it, not remove it from the bike entirely. You have to replace fluids and gaskets now regardless whether or not the problem is in there.
    Last edited by msmiller; 03-07-2017 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Added line

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links