2009 TW NO Spark full time transportation please help
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: 2009 TW NO Spark full time transportation please help

2009 TW NO Spark full time transportation please help

My apologies I am sure there's a great post for troubleshooting "no spark" but darned if I can find it. 2009 TW is my full time transport , yesterday it stopped starting. Almost 50,000 on it. Bike started acting up this week. Hard to start after riding it. Was thinking it was the battery. The one in was three years old. Figured out if i just tapped the start button bike would start right up and go. That trick ended yesterday. It's getting fuel, battery tested bad today so it has a new battery and full charged. It is not getting spark. Tried different plug. Removed the spark plug wire and (coil?) tired three auto parts stores to have them test it no luck so bought a $24 meter from harbor freight. Tested the spark plug and coil as shown in the PDF manual but did not get a reading anything like the specs show. 16.90 was what the meter read consistently, primary and secondary. Meter would not give tone and would only read something if it was set to 20k omh. Is this bad? See first picture.

When testing the other part of this system. The Pick up and Source. Could not get the source BR-GR wires to give anything. The Pick up Red-White wires gave tone and the meter read 716 in spec. Never used a meter before and the frustration was building so I took out the ( CDI/Stator?) brought it inside and re-tested. Pick up reads in spec. The triple white connector (lighting etc. ?) gives tone but no reading. BR-GR gives no tone or reading. Striped the plug end off BR-GR still no tone or reading. Each BR-GR wire tones if tested from wire end to where it's soddered to the winding. See second image. Any input is appreciated. What do I need to buy to get back up and running? What about the rectifier? It only charges the battery correct? Bike has always turn over. Just not getting spark. Fuel checked out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blown fuse?
    Ken likes this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Checked the two twenty amp fuses on the right side. Are there more? Didn't check the CDI unit.
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My 05 TW had that problem, I hit the starter button, had spark for about 4 revolutions of the crankshaft then no spark after continued cranking, released the starter button and pressed the button again and the same thing. Seems like if the engine won't start after the first couple of cranks it won't start . release the starter button and try starting again, should start. Sometimes the powerful TW has a temper.
    Ken and littletommy like this.

How'd you fix it?
    littletommy likes this.

Ken
    You may want to take that switch off, clean it real good with electrical terminal cleaner. Make sure it isn't shorted. Push start it in 2nd gear, key on and see if it fires up.

I didn't , it always started .
    Ken likes this.

Electrical stuff can be wacky, but I'm pretty sure it's not the switch. The starter turns the bike over I'm just not getting spark. The start switch, kickstand switch and neutral switch all are working. I'm just not sure I've tested the coils and pick up correctly. Thanks for the input.
    Ken likes this.

I would carefully inspect wiring. LT s guess about fuses is good. Bad safety switches are a good place to look, harness connections also and shorted wires in the starting circuit. Bad kill switch?
    Ken likes this.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

The source coil is only going to have voltage if the bike is running. Check it while cranking the starter. It should have low voltage ac volts.

But... It sounds like the problem is a bad coil. The primary side should have a smallish ohms reading, but the secondary should have a large kilo ohms reading. If it's getting the same reading that means it's shorted to the primary.

Edit: I just looked at the picture and saw that it was 16.9 kΩ. I don't know exactly what the spec is but that sounds like a good number to me.
    Last edited by methamphetasaur; 03-06-2017 at 11:10 PM.
    Tweaker and Ken like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links