Close

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Ken
  • 2 Post By Ken
  • 2 Post By Ken
  • 1 Post By Ken

Thread: Cheap Chinese Cam

Cheap Chinese Cam

First of all I want to give thanks to all who do such great pictures and write ups while doing their work on the TDUBs. I am not that good but here is my current upgrade and incomplete evaluation. I bought a cheap xt225 cam from a seller on eBay ($60.) new. AHL cam. What I found is that the oil grooves were a little shallower. My big issue was that where the cam bearing went was too big. Stock, 24.83mm Chinese cam 24.96mm. The cam bearing was too tight. I drive engineers nuts. I got out the file, I took it slow and even until I got the 24.83mm. I figured I already used a file on it so why not? I got the triangle file out and deepened the oil groove in both ends of it. All is ready now. Emery clothed it down. Wiped and rinsed with mineral oil, blew dry. I put the cam screw in the end. I put white lithium grease on lobes and bearing surfaces. I filled the cam with half Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer and Valvoline motorcycle oil. It was so slippery I almost couldn't get hold of it to turn it once it was installed. (I'm talking about just enough to get the pin in the right spot) slippery. Last time I had a hard time getting the timing chain/ sprocket just right. This time I used a marker on the chain link aligning it to the timing mark. That helped so much. I was only one tooth off. Next tip, as others have said keep a rag blocking the area where the timing chain is, anything falling in there means trouble. I put Vaseline on the little cam shaft pin, the vacuum kind of helps hold it in place. I adjusted the exhaust valve a little loose as I have read by others. This cam was so close to the TW that I am going to tighten it up to max spec. Currently the noise drives me nuts. I do not see that sitting still for 2000 rpm is good for the engine due to overheating. I revved it, walked around pushing it for about the first 5 minutes. I then went for a 15 minute ride around the neighborhood keeping the revs up. Engine never locked up so I say the filing was worth it. Performance, it seemed to do a light lean surge while I was going in 2nd gear a little revved holding steady while riding. It didn't top at 65 mph as the stock one earlier. The pull to 60 seemed slightly better. I have 116 main jet to install and 38 pilot, not yet installed. That will be my final evaluation if the cam change is worth it or not. This is the 1993 TW. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I also got the Yamaha Blaster rear shock (red spring) but didn't get it installed yet. I'm not sure if I'll just use the spring only or the whole shock assembly, ebay, $24. I am going to fiddle with compression of both and see which combo I like best. Any advice here would be great as well. Thanks.

I am still not finished with my review on the xt225 stock Chinese cam but so far it isn't looking good in my opinion. I topped out at 65 mph with the stock cam, it would probably creep up more in a draft or down a hill. Roughly took about 20 seconds to get to about 60 (slow). With the Xt225 Chinese cam it seemed to pull slightly harder topped out at 60 and took about 18 seconds. I upped the jet from stock 114 (1993 TW) to a 116. The pilot to a 38. The bike now seems to pull a little harder up to about 50 but now tops out at around 58. No real acceleration gains worth mentioning. I will tinker a little more, open the air box slightly, pilot adjust etc. to see if anything improves.
    littletommy and Mfrost like this.

Since I had only seen performance decrease since the cam change I decided to recheck my timing. Originally I marked the chain but when I assembled it looked almost a tooth off so I moved it over one tooth from my original mark. Today I removed the plug and you can see the valves through the spark plug hole. It appeared the exhaust valve opened and closed too early. I moved the timing back to my original mark. It is running much better and performance is recovering. I had it up to 63mph up an overpass. It still doesn't seem like any real advantage over the stock cam at this point. I need to adjust the carb more for final evaluation.
    littletommy and elime like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Today I adjusted the carb a little and opened the air box just a small crack. The difference seemed to help even more. The bike seems to pull even at 65 now up a bigger overpass and the speed didn't drop 5mph as it had in the past. I have the original gearing. Even in a 65 mph zone my biggest issue are all the cars poking along. I now need to compare it to a stock bike to see how the acceleration and pull are. I do have a bigger bike, 1986 Yamaha Radian, YX600. If I want to go fast I just ride it. If a cam mod is desired for the TW200, my conclusion is get the web cam. The cam I tried was for the XT225.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.

Sponosred Links