Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Ken
  • 1 Post By scotti158
  • 1 Post By JerseyJeeper
  • 3 Post By old w/2 many guns & bikes
  • 1 Post By Ken

Thread: Does your carb need adjusting?

Does your carb need adjusting?

I ran my TW down the freeway, pulled the choke out a tad and I can tell that makes it too rich so it is about right on a 1993 at sea level with a 116 jet. I had a slight thump from fuel starvation previously. Since I recently changed cams I have been trying to optimize my performance. I unscrewed the air box and held it open with a small piece of metal, just a very small gap to increase air flow. Top speed has not increased, about 65mph but I was able to now do 65 up the overpass grade which slowed me to 60mph this morning. The pull seems better also. Here is what I am thinking about doing for increased performance and I think this would help at extreme altitude changes, at least some. I am thinking about adding a small ball valve onto my air box and running it to a filter right in front of the rear shock. I am trying to locate the ball valve where I could switch it while riding if needed. I could then control fuel by the enricher or the air by the ball valve on the fly. At higher altitudes you need more air so a quick opening of the ball valve while you are riding you could get the optimum setting for a weekend in the mountains and when you get home just shut it off. Any thoughts?
    JerseyJeeper and grewen like this.

Well...it seems like your really over complicating things. Jet for the elevation where you do most of your riding and tolerate the every so small performance loss else where. If you want more power...get a bigger bike. Just my opinion of course.
    Ken likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Actually its a workable idea if you regularly move dramatically between differing altitudes. What the H, why not try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I ran my TW down the freeway, pulled the choke out a tad and I can tell that makes it too rich so it is about right on a 1993 at sea level with a 116 jet. I had a slight thump from fuel starvation previously. Since I recently changed cams I have been trying to optimize my performance. I unscrewed the air box and held it open with a small piece of metal, just a very small gap to increase air flow. Top speed has not increased, about 65mph but I was able to now do 65 up the overpass grade which slowed me to 60mph this morning. The pull seems better also. Here is what I am thinking about doing for increased performance and I think this would help at extreme altitude changes, at least some. I am thinking about adding a small ball valve onto my air box and running it to a filter right in front of the rear shock. I am trying to locate the ball valve where I could switch it while riding if needed. I could then control fuel by the enricher or the air by the ball valve on the fly. At higher altitudes you need more air so a quick opening of the ball valve while you are riding you could get the optimum setting for a weekend in the mountains and when you get home just shut it off. Any thoughts?
    Ken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member old w/2 many guns & bikes's Avatar
    Ken; I was thinking about a similar idea a few days ago; but not having the experience myself, I called one of the forums top tinkerers (thinking he would be less likely to laugh at me). I really have not had a reason to implement something like this, but the idea popped into my head.

My thought was that you might be able to set the carb up for high elevation riding - and then make a spacer that would easily clip onto the starter choke shaft holding it out the proper length to run properly at lower elevations.

There is a product out there call Dial-A-Jet designed for off-road that lets you twist a dial to adjust the settings for different elevations. Member Bananachunks installed one on his bike and did a few rides but I'm not sure he has done enough different elevation rides to properly evaluate it (and I think the bike has been out of commission for awhile). You might pm him if interested.

Good luck.
    littletommy, Dryden-Tdub and Ken like this.

Just tossing up an idea. I diagnose my jetting by these methods and I think it is quicker than changing jets at a guessing game. If I suspect it lean I will try the choke, if it runs better when engaged then I know at least I need to go richer. Opening the air box indicates you could go leaner or just need to increase your airflow. This at least guides you to the way you need to go. If you live at a higher altitude and then go lower (sea level for example) I think old w/2 many guns & bikes has a good idea. Why change parts when you can simply adjust.
    grewen likes this.

Sponosred Links