Hard starting in warm weather - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Hard starting in warm weather

Quote Originally Posted by mckee1710 View Post
    sounds to me like your low speed circuit may be a tad too rich. Since cold air is more dense than hot air, your intake is drawing more air molecules per unit of volume in cold weather than in hot weather. If it ran well in cold weather but now struggles to start with warmer weather, you're likely a bit too rich (less air mixed with same amount of fuel.) If the choke doesn't help starting in the warmer weather, that reinforces the rich condition. If this is indeed the case, opening the pilot screw further (adding more fuel to less air) will only exacerbate the problem. Just my 2 cents based on your symptoms
    That was my initial thought as well since it starts so well in cold weather without the choke. It's been this way since I bought the bike which has been mostly during the colder season. Now that we've had warm weather, all of the sudden I need the choke to start it, when it's above 80 out.

So here's how yesterday went.
    I went out in the garage at 6:45am. Temp was 49 degrees outside and my garage was 60ish. I pushed the bike out in the driveway, hit the starter button with no choke and it started and idled perfect within one second of hitting the start button. Drove a couple miles to work, parked it, and went in. At 11:15am I walked out to go to lunch. I unlocked the disc brake lock, put the key in and hit the start button. It turned over a few times and nothing. Did it again for maybe 5 or 6 seconds and still nothing. Pulled the choke half way and it lit up in a second or two.

It ran perfect all the way home. Shut it off when I got home. Decided to try and start it again within a minute and it lit up immediately. Parked it in the garage and ate lunch. An hour went out to start it and it turned over a bunch of times and needed the choke to halfway again. Started and ran perfect back to work.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Thats very strange. It seems totally backwards. i assume you turn off the petcock each time you park? Seems like one of the carb circuits (idle?) is plugged when hot.

I wish I had your weather, but I am glad I do not need a disc lock, I am 15 miles from the border of Detroit and I leave my key in my ignition ll the time. My parents (lived in the same town I do now) didn't even have keys to the house when they sold it, never locked the doors
    socalnative and cowboyjeff like this.
    2002 TW200
    1998 DR350
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Same area and I have my TWs at almost 3 turns out. Both start immediately when cold, with the choke all the way out and no throttle. Then push the choke/enrichment in to the halfway point.
    I usually let them warm up for a minute or two but mostly because of inexperienced riders use one of them.

If they are warm they will start without the choke, and no throttle, right away.

I was surprised on Sunday when I went riding that they both needed the choke to start since it was probably already 75F outside.

I don't know why you'd need the choke with warm weather but not when it's cooler.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mattwings View Post
    Thats very strange. It seems totally backwards. i assume you turn off the petcock each time you park? Seems like one of the carb circuits (idle?) is plugged when hot.

I wish I had your weather, but I am glad I do not need a disc lock, I am 15 miles from the border of Detroit and I leave my key in my ignition ll the time. My parents (lived in the same town I do now) didn't even have keys to the house when they sold it, never locked the doors
    Why turn off the petcock when parking? I do not do that. Should I?
    littletommy and cowboyjeff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tree.bobby View Post
    Turn it off.
    If the float sticks your carb could overflow and empty the entire contents of the tank onto the floor
    ------------------------------------------
    1999 TW200E Hidden Content
    2015 R1200GS Hidden Content

Gone but not forgotten
    2003 XT600e, 1981 XS650, 2000 Z750s, 1990 XV1100SE, RD50, MZ125

Absolutely, especially if you park it in a garage where there might be a water heater or flame source. You don't want to blow up your house bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by tree.bobby View Post
    tree.bobby and cowboyjeff like this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

I was thinking maybe the float is out of adjustment and when you close the petcock overnight or leave it sit, it comes up to the right level, but when the petcock is left open it some how doesn't come to the right level? I really have no clue, just thinking through possibilities with you. You should always close it off when you park it btw.
    tree.bobby likes this.
    2002 TW200
    1998 DR350
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Ok so I think I may have noticed something today. Usually when I get to work I'm running late so I speed through the parking lot and coast to a stop killing it before it has time to come to a smooth idle. So today I gave it maybe 15 seconds of idling before turning it off and it started perfectly every time. So I'm definitely thinking now it's probably some kind of a lean condition that probably has to do with the pilot circuit / fuel screw. Strange cause I do this in cooler weather it has no effect on starting, on in warm temps. We have to leave town this Friday for the state wrestling championships for my son, but when I get back I'm going to mess around and adjust fueling a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

I would be interested to hear if turning your petcock on and off at the beginning and end of each ride changes anything. I remember years ago a friend left his petcock on on his motocrosser. The engine and expansion chamber FILLED with fuel. I remember removing the pipe and dumping out a large amount of gasoline... like a couple of cups. Perhaps a small similar leak is causing your odd rich condition at cold starts on a bike that is notoriously lean on the idle circuit.
    cowboyjeff likes this.

If its working good and starting cold, but not hot have you considered what fuel your using? Its a new bike, 2016 I doubt if anything is worn out. What does your dealer say? Yes, always shut off the petcock when parking.
    Retired guy Central Iowa, Lots of Hobby's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links