Hard starting in warm weather - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Hard starting in warm weather

Thanks for the tip. Glad I get on her and peruse around. I'll shut off my peter tonight.

Update. As of a week and a half ago I was still experiencing very difficult warm weather starting if the bike's engine was cold. Once engine is warm it always started immediately and operated normally. I did open the fuel screw to 2 1/2 turns out with the stock 31 pilot. That had no effect. Then changed to a 34 pilot and that had no effect either on those starts.

So strange, nearly every day I left for work at 7am 50 degree ish and it would start no choke. Ran perfect to work. Shut off and at 11:30am I'd go and try and start it and it would turn over for at least 30 seconds with nothing. Even the choke made no difference. I had to give it a tiny bit of throttle and it would slowly start. It was embarrassing especially when people were watching me trying to start an almost new bike. They would ask what's up with it not starting?

Anyways last week I finally fixed it. Unfortunately I changed two things at once so I'll never know which one fixed it, but at least there's no more starting issues. I do have my suspicions though.

So I ran out of gas in the gas can and tw last week. It was a fresh mix of 91 octane with Stabil marine 360 ( which I recently started running in all my engines that sit, switching from Stabil regular red). This time I decided to try 87 octane back with regular Stabil red with no 360 or vapor technology. Now the bike starts instantly anytime, any weather with no choke and runs perfect. So my guess is probably the Stabil marine 360 and the vapor technology, and maybe being parked in the hot sun. Something must be going on there.

If you're wondering why I run fuel stabilizer it's cause I don't go through gas very fast and I've always run it in all my engines including my Ktm with no problems, but just recently switched to the marine. So I'm switching back to red from now on and going to stick with 87 octane. Just glad it's back to normal now. Sometimes weird things happen I guess. Had me chasing my tail for a couple months.
    cowboyjeff and littletommy like this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

That is interesting about the gas. I just bought some stabil 360 and put some in a can of non ethanol gas from Utah. So right about now So Cal switches gas formulas from winter to summer. The different formulas have higher and lower volatility.

Summer-Blend vs Winter-Blend Gasoline: What?s the Difference?
    cowboyjeff and littletommy like this.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, weld on foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    That is interesting about the gas. I just bought some stabil 360 and put some in a can of non ethanol gas from Utah. So right about now So Cal switches gas formulas from winter to summer. The different formulas have higher and lower volatility.

Summer-Blend vs Winter-Blend Gasoline: What?s the Difference?
    Yeah the starting issues were literally every day without a hitch till I switched to 87 with standard Stabil.

One other incident that concerned me was with my 16 ktm 500 exc. Two weeks after switching to Stabil marine I had a high pressure fuel line split on the inside and weep fuel out the threads to the edges. The split was about 3 inches long and only on the inside. This fuel line was only as old as the bike which is about a year and a half. Maybe a fluke, but also had me wondering if something in the marine formula was a little hard on rubber hoses. No way of knowing though.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Anything more than 87 octane is generally a waste in a TW.
    cowboyjeff likes this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

I stopped using red Stabil. As far as I know, the "red" does nothing to counteract the adverse effects of ethanol. I have thought about trying the "marine" grade. Now I will not.
    I run 87 octane (my TW HATES 91). I add Seafoam (a little bit all the time) and/or StarTron to neutralize the ethanol and for winter storage. She starts every time.
    Tweaker and cowboyjeff like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponosred Links