Hard starting in warm weather
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Hard starting in warm weather

Hard starting in warm weather

I have a 2016 tw 200. My tw has always started without the choke. It didn't matter how cold it was out, it never needed the choke. The bike has always run well once warm and doesn't seem to have any lean symptoms like backfire on decel etc. It still runs well once warm.

Just this week in socal our temps have hit the upper 80's. Now all of the sudden when I get to work, shut the bike off for four hours, it doesn't like to start up again without the choke. Not sure why.

I'm going to start experimenting with bigger pilots and the fuel screw, but usually when my bikes have been lean I can tell during cold starts and backfire on decel or similar running symptoms. These warm weather starting issues are new to me. Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ken likes this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

Ken
    I would do a compression test first. I have had the valves start going bad and they get harder to start.
    peruano and cowboyjeff like this.

Hi. I have a 2015 that was doing exactly the same as yours. I remember that opening the fuel mixture screw 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 turns out solved the problem. I would recommend doing it if you haven't done it yet.
    Remember that in order to access the screw you will have to remove the plug, not a big deal! You will find instructions on this Forum if you look for it. Based on my short time I've been searching here I can guarantee that you won't find better help anywhere else, it is satisfying to see how many members are willing to help out in all kind of "situations" sharing their own experiences.
    Ken, littletommy, msmiller and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by xicarro View Post
    Hi. I have a 2015 that was doing exactly the same as yours. I remember that opening the fuel mixture screw 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 turns out solved the problem. I would recommend doing it if you haven't done it yet.
    Remember that in order to access the screw you will have to remove the plug, not a big deal! You will find instructions on this Forum if you look for it. Based on my short time I've been searching here I can guarantee that you won't find better help anywhere else, it is satisfying to see how many members are willing to help out in all kind of "situations" sharing their own experiences.
    Yeah I've had to drill and remove the plug on several bikes so it shouldn't be a issue.

It just ran so good in cold weather I thought it was pretty much dead on.

Did you simply adjust the fuel screw or did you do both the pilot jet and fuel screw adjustment at the same time?
    Ken and cowboyjeff like this.

So I broke out the $60 service manual and from what I could find, there's absolutely no reference to the fuel mixture screw location. Maybe I'm missing it but it's certainly not easy to find. So I got down to carb level and I'm suspecting the screw is located on the front bottom of the carb. I was hoping not to have to pull the carb to pull the plug out, but it looks like I may have to.

littletommy, Ken and cowboyjeff like this.

Front bottom of the carb...yes...that's it bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepseadan View Post
    So I broke out the $60 service manual and from what I could find, there's absolutely no reference to the fuel mixture screw location. Maybe I'm missing it but it's certainly not easy to find. So I got down to carb level and I'm suspecting the screw is located on the front bottom of the carb. I was hoping not to have to pull the carb to pull the plug out, but it looks like I may have to.

Ken and cowboyjeff like this.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepseadan View Post

You can do it in-place - Turn Carb in-place: (disregard where screw driver is..)

Turned carb..jpg

Ken
    Yes, thanks to the forum members, that carb spins right around and jets, etc are easily accessible without removing. Just loosen up the air box and intake clamps, also remove the fuel line from the carb. The rest of my hoses I left in place.

sounds to me like your low speed circuit may be a tad too rich. Since cold air is more dense than hot air, your intake is drawing more air molecules per unit of volume in cold weather than in hot weather. If it ran well in cold weather but now struggles to start with warmer weather, you're likely a bit too rich (less air mixed with same amount of fuel.) If the choke doesn't help starting in the warmer weather, that reinforces the rich condition. If this is indeed the case, opening the pilot screw further (adding more fuel to less air) will only exacerbate the problem. Just my 2 cents based on your symptoms
    cowboyjeff likes this.
    2012 TDub - Cycra handguards w/ LED turn signals, WR250 shorty levers, custom high fender, Tusk 30mm bar risers, Krator footpegs, SeatConcepts, Yamaha rack, integrated LED tail light, 5500 LM H4 LED headlamp, DID 428 X-ring, XT225 stainless header, DG-O exhaust, 130 main, 0.04" needle shim, slide drilled 1/16", pilot 2.25 turns out

Float level might be a tad to high. If nothing else works trying lowering it a teeny bit.
    cowboyjeff likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links