TW200 Hacks or just any Hack - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: TW200 Hacks or just any Hack

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    Zip ties are wonderful things! So useful!!!
    If you've ever had your rear brake light suddenly not work - but the bulb is okay - check the line that runs from your brake switch to the brake pedal.
    Attachment 88177
    There is a hook at the bottom of the metal rod that can vibrate out of the lever loop. Adding a loose zip tie will fill enough of the space to keep the hook from bouncing out.
    Attachment 88185Attachment 88193
    I've had to use a zip on my old TW to hold the sending unit on when part of the sending unit's plastic housing broke. I think it's still secured on there after all this time. Still worked so why replace.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    Do you get tired of waiting for your bike to cool before adding a tarp, or have difficulty trying to find the best way to bungie it down? Use weighted bottles instead!
    Attachment 88201

I use the small Vitamin Water bottles, but Gatoraide or any other heavy plastic will work. I had some ball bungies hanging around, but paracord works well too.
    1. It's recommended to clean the bottle before using or it might draw ants.
    2. Fill the bottle 3/4 full of sand, cement, or plaster-of-paris and re-cap. (If you need to set the cement or plaster, add the appropriate amount of water now and shake well - then wait 10 - 15 minutes before continuing.)
    3. Use a 1/4" bit to drill a hole in the bottle cap, and clean up any flashing that remains.
    4. If you use paracord, cut a 20" to 24" length and make a loop with a very large knot at the end.
    5. Feed the loop of the paracord or bungie ball through the inside of the cap so the ball or knot will be inside the bottle.
    6. Cap the bottle. You can either leave it as-is to make the next step easier, or wrap the cap with tape to keep water from dripping into the hole.
    7. Cover your item with the tarp and thread the bottle's loop through 2 of the tarp holes, then loop the bottle through the loop so it pulls closed.

Attachment 88217 Attachment 88209

Now you have an inexpensive weight that will allow you to pull the tarp off when needed but will keep all but the most fierce wind from blowing it away.
    Your tarp weight idea is pretty good. I've not used my covers while out in the wild because of fear the wind would whisk it away. Recently at the rainy Boonville ride, having my motorcycle covers along would have helped keep the TW's dry. Mrs. Admiral used a garbage bag to keep her seat dry but my atv mitts got soaked.

Thanks to your weight holderdowner idea I will not leave the covers at home again.

I like your custom bike cover Admiral.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Okay you guys.....us Canadians are sorry for Beiber, but give us credit for the Robertson! :-) Every screw on earth should be a #2 Robertson...at least then we'd be able to take 'em out!

If you invest a few bucks in the rugged zip ties, you can hold anything together. I ripped a CV boot apart on the ATV, then ruined the chintzy clamp supplied with the replacement. I was supposed to go biking the next day and couldn't get a new clamp in time....so I used a heavy zip tie....then clamped vice grips on it and levered them sideways, giving an extra bit of snugness. (these are the smooth ties, steel catch tab and no clicky-ridges) There's a saying:. "There's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix." And that zip tie faithfully held that boot on there and kept the mud and water out for 10,000kms of trails, until I sold it and got the TW. It's likely still on there.

I once heard a crazy story about somebody using zip ties to secure wires and keep them organized. What a nut.... Likely the same guy I heard about using 200 MPH tape to seal up air leaks in heating ducts. I supposed that COULD work...in theory...
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 03-20-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Spread Can Hacks
    First an education on the technology

How to make a reusable spray can

One more Hack

When all else fails

Hello New Members. Hidden Content Please update in (Settings) (Edit Profile) (Location)where you are from. The best part of our Forum is meeting new members.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.

Rick

Adjusting your valve adjusting tool.

Adjustment.jpg

Before and after fit:

after and before.jpg

Handle added:
    Handle.jpg
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Hacking. That's why I quit the Marlboros 10 years ago. Here's a couple: WD40---with a heavy duty blue paper towel---is great for cleaning up your wheels and helps them repel water and mud, etc. If you have a Cycle Rack, a couple ratchet straps to strong points in your garage ceiling area, (I use the angle iron frame that supports my garage door) make for a cheap way to raise the back end for working on chain, etc. Furniture polish spray shines up plastics nicely and helps repel mud. Maguires clear plastic polish is great for cleaning helmet visors or bringing life back to beat up goggles.
    "SickPuppy76"
    Greg from Glenville

2014 TW200 rear Cyclerack with bag supports and Versapack saddlebags, upgraded foot pegs, Mad Dog seat cover
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder 4WD
    2005 Buick Rainier AWD
    2001 Bass Tracker Pro Team 185XT
    Old Town Trip10 Angler Kayak

Spray your Spray Paint into the cap and use a small artist paint brush to touch up small areas. I also used the brush to paint hard to get to areas on my exhaust.
    VHT Ford Silver matches our silver on our bikes.

IMG_7316.JPG

IMG_7317.JPG

Notice the Bearing ring that is painted next to unpainted triple tree

IMG_7320.JPG
    Last edited by TopPredator; 03-21-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    Hello New Members. Hidden Content Please update in (Settings) (Edit Profile) (Location)where you are from. The best part of our Forum is meeting new members.

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by SickPuppy76 View Post
    Hacking. That's why I quit the Marlboros 10 years ago. Here's a couple: WD40---with a heavy duty blue paper towel---is great for cleaning up your wheels and helps them repel water and mud, etc. If you have a Cycle Rack, a couple ratchet straps to strong points in your garage ceiling area, (I use the angle iron frame that supports my garage door) make for a cheap way to raise the back end for working on chain, etc. Furniture polish spray shines up plastics nicely and helps repel mud. Maguires clear plastic polish is great for cleaning helmet visors or bringing life back to beat up goggles.
    I've used the rafter/ratchet method a few times

but I like best the work stand from the plans Jaglite sent me.

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Pledge on plastics is a good one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links