TW200 Hacks or just any Hack
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: TW200 Hacks or just any Hack

TW200 Hacks or just any Hack

I'm not sure when the word Hack was coined...Us old timers always called them "tricks of the trade or just ingenious ideas". Well anyway I have a few to start with. Share your Hacks.

I've shone this one before on how to keep the nut in place on the flooded batteries while securing the battery cables. It's a tie wrap with the anchor eyelet

IMG_7172.JPG

My grease/dust cover is old and lose on my front wheel so I installed a tie wrap to keep it from backing off.

IMG_7301.JPG

Not sure where I got this idea... probably someone on this forum but it works great to remove and install Grips.

IMG_7311.JPG

YOUR TURN!!!
    Last edited by TopPredator; 03-19-2017 at 07:25 AM.
    Rick

When you break your OEM chain guide as I did, or go to a larger than 50 tooth rear sprocket you will want a suitably sized replacement to protect the sprocket and chain. Simply cut a custom sized shape from cutting board HDPE plastic. Easy, cheap, quick and effective.
    Here is poor photo of my current 55 tooth protector painted in a matching orange, perhaps twice the size of busted OEM chain guide.21465bc8b91212677055f7910360777b.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content

My battery terminal nut hold is a piece of battery vent hose under the nut to hold it tight against the terminal. A cruel battery designer came up with the bolts that are about a mm too short to reach the nut when installing a battery! The air hose grip removal is another trick I also use and works great. I've seen a square drive deck screw used to hold the square valve adjuster bolt. I've used a spoke ground down to fit down a gas tank locking cap to remove the tumbler. Various re-purposed tools converted to flat screw drivers to reach pilot adjustment screws.
    Fred, TopPredator, Ken and 3 others like this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Stroking a screwdriver with a strong magnet can magnetize it enough to hold small screws for installations on angled or inverted locations. I also save thin wall tubing odds and ends for similar use of keeping screw on bit.
    Similarly a small piece of masking tape inside a socket can help hold a nut in place in the socket during installations.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content

Ken
    The square drive deck screw works great. I lost my tool though. I think I am going to make another this time with the square drive deck screw into a wooden dowel about 2" long. This could even be used as a key chain/ valve adjuster tool then.
    Fred, admiral, TopPredator and 2 others like this.

Ken, you could go overboard like these valve adjusting jewel-tools from our own Gerry's Shunkworks. Gerry is such a nice guy he made me a prototype for evaluation. I told him it worked fantastic, but I would drop it occasionally while juggling feeler gauge, wrench and adjuster all at once while snugging up the final little bit. Next thing I know a second one shows up in the mail with a rare earth magnet that really stays put on top of the valve stem while I slowly snug up the nut while monitoring feeler gauge drag. Hand turned and knurled aluminum on his lathe, "scratch" signed by the artist no less.
    Unexpected generosity from an outstanding forum member.
    But then that is getting to be the norm here.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content

What's that fancy thing the tool is sitting on? It kinda looks like money. I have similar ones, but they only have a "1" on them...

Gerry's quite talented, he sent several of those around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Ken, you could go overboard like these valve adjusting jewel-tools from our own Gerry's Shunkworks. Gerry is such a nice guy he made me a prototype for evaluation. I told him it worked fantastic, but I would drop it occasionally while juggling feeler gauge, wrench and adjuster all at once while snugging up the final little bit. Next thing I know a second one shows up in the mail with a rare earth magnet that really stays put on top of the valve stem while I slowly snug up the nut while monitoring feeler gauge drag. Hand turned and knurled aluminum on his lathe, "scratch" signed by the artist no less.
    Unexpected generosity from an outstanding forum member.
    But then that is getting to be the norm here.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Zip ties are wonderful things! So useful!!!
    If you've ever had your rear brake light suddenly not work - but the bulb is okay - check the line that runs from your brake switch to the brake pedal.
    20170319_185734_resized.jpg
    There is a hook at the bottom of the metal rod that can vibrate out of the lever loop. Adding a loose zip tie will fill enough of the space to keep the hook from bouncing out.
    20170319_182818_resized.jpg20170319_182910_resized.jpg
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Do you get tired of waiting for your bike to cool before adding a tarp, or have difficulty trying to find the best way to bungie it down? Use weighted bottles instead!
    20170319_183043_resized.jpg

I use the small Vitamin Water bottles, but Gatoraide or any other heavy plastic will work. I had some ball bungies hanging around, but paracord works well too.
    1. It's recommended to clean the bottle before using or it might draw ants.
    2. Fill the bottle 3/4 full of sand, cement, or plaster-of-paris and re-cap. (If you need to set the cement or plaster, add the appropriate amount of water now and shake well - then wait 10 - 15 minutes before continuing.)
    3. Use a 1/4" bit to drill a hole in the bottle cap, and clean up any flashing that remains.
    4. If you use paracord, cut a 20" to 24" length and make a loop with a very large knot at the end.
    5. Feed the loop of the paracord or bungie ball through the inside of the cap so the ball or knot will be inside the bottle.
    6. Cap the bottle. You can either leave it as-is to make the next step easier, or wrap the cap with tape to keep water from dripping into the hole.
    7. Cover your item with the tarp and thread the bottle's loop through 2 of the tarp holes, then loop the bottle through the loop so it pulls closed.

20170319_183009_resized.jpg 20170319_182932_resized.jpg

Now you have an inexpensive weight that will allow you to pull the tarp off when needed, but will keep all but the most fierce wind from blowing it away.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2011 Genuine Scooter Co Blur 220i - 1999 Yamaha TW200
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Paint your JIS bits a bright color so you can find them easy and you don't get them mixed up with your Phillips bits.

IMG_7321.JPG

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links