Modification Of OEM Rack
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Modification Of OEM Rack

Modification Of OEM Rack

Just kind of looking for opinions....and killing time until spring (I had no idea how long winter was until I bought a motorcycle last fall....)
    Forgive me for kind of rambling out loud...

So, I'm going to be using the TW mainly for fishing, and some camping (minimal gear, hammock, etc) I've been looking for a sturdy tail box of some kind, but coming up empty. Believe it or not, after going to both WalMarts, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, and so on...I still can't find a frikkin Action Packer, or reasonably sturdy alternative. Until now. Picked up a 'Pelican-esque' box at Princess Auto this weekend...it's going to work out perfectly....after I mount the thing.

My TW came with the OEM Yamaha rack. The one that has that awesome 30-degree upturn at the back of it, making it impossible to mount anything flat. For reference, a piece of two-by is the right thickness to plunk on the rack, and be pretty much level with the upturn. I'd rather not use 2x4's....

I can already hear you typing "Buy a Cyclerack!" Yes, that would be the thing to do..but it's not. The Cyclerack is around $280 shipped, then there's tax, possible duty.....And I already have a rack, it just has that stupid upturn.
    Or I could spend $100 on the 'cheap ebay rack' and swap it out, giving me a flat spot to mount the box.

Either of those options leaves me with a useless OEM rack, and to sell it would be an arm and a leg to ship it to someone...

So, what are your thoughts on taking the bend out of that OEM rack? I have no metalworking tools at my disposal, so would have to pay someone to cut/weld...which isn't out of the question....
    Or, I could take the rack off, turn it upside down, and then take a hammer to the SOB and take the bend out of it that way.
    Anyone flattened one out before?

I'm looking at it this way....I'd save $100-$280 as opposed to buying a rack to gain nothing but a flat place to sit a box. And due to location and shipping, selling the OEM rack wouldn't make much sense, so it would likely just end up in the junk pile.

I had the whole tail section apart yesterday, so I see the lack of meat under there, so the weight will be kept to a minimum....Windbreaker, small tool bag, a fly reel, spinning reel....

In The Sierras Test Riding New Fuel Additives for my Tortoise Wanderer
    You could do some "rod inside tube" modifications. Cut off the 30 degree bends with 4 cuts and find rod that fits the inside diameter and insert two sections as internal sleeves and reattach rear of OEM rack now flat. Secure with through pinning, bolts, brazing, epoxy, whatever works if you can't weld. You could even bend up an entire replacement "U" to extend rack rearwards.
    Your subframe at the rear is capped by simple plastic plugs. I removed mine and inserted a "U" shape of vice bent 7/16ths (?) solid rod creating a rather strong extension used as both a grab bar and base for picking up the cantilevered load from my original homemade rack. Worked great. Once I got a Cyclerack I tied cycle rack's Rotopak mount to this same homemade grab bar for much improved no-cantelever rigidity.
    Lights, Action, Traction....Let's Ride!
    2003 model year, jetted for mile high+ riding, Wiseco 68mm piston, Duro ATV rear tire, IRC GP-1 Trials front tire, XT-225 tank, Cyclerack, 2" handlebar risers, foot pegs, D-flex hand guards, right angle fuel filter, Seat Concepts kit over additional hi-density foam, fluorescent paint, Betty Boop stickers..and a lot of scratches!.

Quote Originally Posted by GCFishguy View Post
    Just kind of looking for opinions....and killing time until spring (I had no idea how long winter was until I bought a motorcycle last fall....)

So, I'm going to be using the TW mainly for fishing, and some camping (minimal gear, hammock, etc) I've been looking for a sturdy tail box of some kind, but coming up empty. Believe it or not, after going to both WalMarts, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, and so on...I still can't find a frikkin Action Packer, or reasonably sturdy alternative. Until now. Picked up a 'Pelican-esque' box at Princess Auto this weekend...it's going to work out perfectly....after I mount the thing.

My TW came with the OEM Yamaha rack. The one that has that awesome 30-degree upturn at the back of it, making it impossible to mount anything flat. For reference, a piece of two-by is the right thickness to plunk on the rack, and be pretty much level with the upturn. I'd rather not use 2x4's....

I can already hear you typing "Buy a Cyclerack!" Yes, that would be the thing to do..but it's not. The Cyclerack is around $280 shipped, then there's tax, possible duty.....And I already have a rack, it just has that stupid upturn.
    Or I could spend $100 on the 'cheap ebay rack' and swap it out, giving me a flat spot to mount the box.

Either of those options leaves me with a useless OEM rack, and to sell it would be an arm and a leg to ship it to someone...

So, what are your thoughts on taking the bend out of that OEM rack? I have no metalworking tools at my disposal, so would have to pay someone to cut/weld...which isn't out of the question....
    Or, I could take the rack off, turn it upside down, and then take a hammer to the SOB and take the bend out of it that way.

I'm looking at it this way....I'd save $100-$280 as opposed to buying a rack to gain nothing but a flat place to sit a box. And due to location and shipping, selling the OEM rack wouldn't make much sense, so it would likely just end up in the junk pile.

I had the whole tail section apart yesterday, so I see the lack of meat under there, so the weight will be kept to a minimum....Windbreaker, small tool bag, a fly reel, spinning reel....
    PM me and we can hammer out a cheap alternative for you to get a flat rack just like the one you have. Only the one I have is heavier duty tubing than yours.

Tom
    Never, in the history of mankind, have lives, less lived, been so well chronicled.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GCFishguy View Post

Can you post a pic of your oem rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

It's gotta be this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepseadan View Post
    Can you post a pic of your oem rack?

LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Yes, that's the one. This thread has some pics. (None of them mine, but it's that rack)

Tw Lighting - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

@Fred - I haven't cut into it or anything but I'd swear that's solid tubing....not hollow. But I've been wrong before...
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    It's gotta be this one.

You wouldn't happen to know the part number would you?

Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

In The Sierras Test Riding New Fuel Additives for my Tortoise Wanderer
    Oh, sorry. I now see the rack has several more bends than a CycleRack to be removed. Maybe get Dryden T-Dub to help hammer it flat, perhaps a hydraulic press, or park Mel's D9 on topP1290075.JPG

The part number for the rack can be obtained with a simple internet search. No need to wait for someone else to do the research and then post answer here.
    bchbumm and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    Lights, Action, Traction....Let's Ride!
    2003 model year, jetted for mile high+ riding, Wiseco 68mm piston, Duro ATV rear tire, IRC GP-1 Trials front tire, XT-225 tank, Cyclerack, 2" handlebar risers, foot pegs, D-flex hand guards, right angle fuel filter, Seat Concepts kit over additional hi-density foam, fluorescent paint, Betty Boop stickers..and a lot of scratches!.

This would be the factory rack, Deepseadan. https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-ABA-2JY.../dp/B005IGORBO Only exception is, well, it's upside down.
    I actually find a LOT of pictures of that rack upside down online.
    If you're looking at getting one....one thing I'd mention is that it really doesn't fit like you would expect a factory part to fit. Even with it back as far as it can possibly be mounted, the rack still digs into the bottom rear lip of the seat. When you take my seat off you can see 2 notches where it's indented into the seat. It didn't hurt the cover yet, but over time, that friction point would be the first spot to fail.
    I see where some have taken the cover off the back edge, cut away a little plastic from the pan, and re-stapled the cover....

@ Fred: Well, New York is a little too far to go to flatten out a rack....but DT's got a flat rack that may come this way, depending on the shipping. :-)
    Last edited by GCFishguy; 03-20-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links