Problems with Non use of a TW - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Problems with Non use of a TW

If you get it then go directly to my post in tech advice "Bringing back a sitting bike". Failure to do the basics right in the beginning will be a mistake and just cause more problems down the line.

HOW TO---Bring a sitting bike back to life!

GaryL
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks
    1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
    1989 Lowe Lunker

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    If you get it then go directly to my post in tech advice "Bringing back a sitting bike". Failure to do the basics right in the beginning will be a mistake and just cause more problems down the line.

HOW TO---Bring a sitting bike back to life!

GaryL
    Thanks for the information. Will have to get with the owner to see what the dealer did to it to get it running and what the tank looks like.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Well I finally got it and it runs perfect. Took it out for a 10 mile trail ride with top speed of 15 mph. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Congrats. It looks great.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

it looks really nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mfrost View Post
    Thanks for the information. Will have to get with the owner to see what the dealer did to it to get it running and what the tank looks like.
    Well do not leave us hang... What was the resolution!

Jim
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Mfrost View Post
    Well I finally got it and it runs perfect. Took it out for a 10 mile trail ride with top speed of 15 mph. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpg
    Nice looking bike for sure. I love clean and even more after you get them dirty.

Take note here and this is for all you new and some old TW owners. The middle picture showing the battery, there is a rectangular compartment right behind the battery. This is NOT a STORAGE compartment! I have seen guys stuff rags in there and even stuff like a wallet or pack of smokes. This IS the air intake for the air filter box. It is also a place the mice love to build nests so just be sure to keep it clear of any obstructions.

Best of luck with your new to you TW and do let us know what work the dealer did perform. It is highly recommended that every owner always checks the oil filter before you install it and immediately after anyone else like a dealer installs one. On the engine side where the filter is inserted there absolutely must be 4 tiny holes rather than another often mistaken filter that has just 2 tiny holes. If I were to take my TW anywhere for an oil and filter change I would demand to inspect the exact filter they will put in before they do the change. To the top left of the spark plug in the jug there is a 10mm bolt that is a bleeder to prove you have oil flowing when the engine runs. Not meant to be removed but just cracked open for a few seconds while running to assure the oil is flowing to the head.

GaryL
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks
    1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
    1989 Lowe Lunker

Quote Originally Posted by jtstdub View Post
    Well do not leave us hang... What was the resolution!

Jim
    I ended up paying $2750 for it and in the CA market I felt that was good and it also matched coloring on my motorhome. From what I was told the dealer rebuilt the carb, in stalled new battery, and changed the oil. The owner rode if back from the shop, 10 miles, and I also rode it so figured the filter was installed right since it hadn't seized yet. Have taken note to install oil drain plug assembly and oil filter properly. Will check out the oil bleed plug today along with changing the brake fluid. The tank had no rust which surprised me. Owner could not find the owners manual so I downloaded on but would like to get an original one along with a shop manual. After my little 10 mile trail ride the other day it had no leaks. So I am pretty happy so far. Will take it out today with less air pressure maybe 16. Had 20 psi in the other day and it was pretty rough. Have ordered seat pad and big pegs. Need risers, hand guards and larger diameter grips. Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

If you're not looking to 'pay for a name', I'm pretty happy with the eBay handguards that I bought after SkinWalker posted a link to them. They do the job, and appear to be plenty beefy. It's not like they're a precision part where tolerances are critical... They did need to be put in a vice and given a few yanks to adjust the alignment but that's to be expected... One added benefit that I didn't even think about was the amount of wind they deflect off my hands, thereby keeping them warmer on chilly days.

A 90 degree fuel filter would be a good idea IMO. There's a screen on the petcock, but stuff that could squeak through that screen could still ruin your day if it made it to the carb...... I put one on because I nearly always fuel out of a gas can, and you never know. And I've thrown a couple extra in my tool bag along with a length of fuel line...no hose clamps; I'll use zip ties if I have to change anything on the trail.

I was new to 2-wheelers when I got my TW last fall. I wasn't used to the bike and I was always on muddy roads or wet grass/leaves , and the front end just wanted to be everywhere but where it was supposed to be. Over the winter I put on a Shinko 241, and it feels like a completely different bike...the front feels stable and planted now. I'm not saying you HAVE to toss a perfectly good front tire, but all the posts that tell you to do so are not wrong. I forget what your yours is but you might be at the point where you should replace the tires just due to age....

There's a great post that explains that strip of foam under your seat, what it's for, and why you want to replace it if it's gone.

There's grease zerks on each side of the swingarm.....stuff like that often gets neglected.

I'm new to these things but I already know that now that I have a pelican case on the back and a tube for the Tenkara rod mounted where most folks put their tool tube, this bike is going to suit my needs just perfectly.

I don't know exactly how long you have to ride with the wrong filter before it seizes up, but a couple easy rides may NOT be enough. Lean it over on its side and you'll only lose a few drips of oil. For the small amount of work it is, check the filter.
    At the check plug, don't expect oil to spray out or anything at idle. You'll likely loosen it off to the point where you THINK there should be oil spraying out, then start to panic, then oil will begin to drool out. Id that happens, you're golden.

I added big pegs over the winter. Yesss.

Changed brake fluid today. After 14 years setting it needed itimage.jpegimage.jpg. Also added a power outlet for slime air compressor and charger image.jpg. Backed the oil check plug and had ozzing oil at idle so good there. Checked on a Shinco 241 tire today. I am assuming that it is the 4.00 -18 size. Can get it for $55 here.. Modified my floor jack so I could lift the TW. Works good but still have to a couple more mods on it. image.jpegimage.jpg.
    Took it out for another trai ride today but this time I had 13 psi in the front and 16 in rear and it sure handled a lot better

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links