Carburetor Adjustment help - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Carburetor Adjustment help

Quote Originally Posted by stevericotta View Post
    I can look when I get home but its what comes with the rebuild kit. Also I found a carb for a 1991 on ebay buts its not a california model. Will that work for my bike?
    I bet it will work better than the Calif. carb works.
    cowboyjeff likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Correct me if I am wrong, never had a Cal bike. I think the only difference is an extra connection that goes to the boot between the carb and engine and the carbs themselves are the same. I could be wrong here so wait for those who have Cal bikes to chime in.

GaryL
    littletommy and cowboyjeff like this.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks
    1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
    1989 Lowe Lunker

It actually goes to the carb. I am going to buy it and give it a try. Worst case I resell it on ebay.

Thanks!
    cowboyjeff likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My 87 Cali bike never came with that G.
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    My 87 Cali bike never came with that G.
    I have seen a carb boot that bolts to the engine cylinder with a hose connector protruding out of it and figured this is for the Cali models.

GaryL
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    1989 Lowe Lunker

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I have seen a carb boot that bolts to the engine cylinder with a hose connector protruding out of it and figured this is for the Cali models.

GaryL
    The purpose of the blocked off hose it to ensure smooth operation of the Carb, it is a resonator hose, It acts as a Damper/shock absorber. The carb is a "CV" TYPE "Constant Velocity" and is controlled by manifold vacuum [low pressure] Depending on throttle position the vacuum created in the manifold lifts the diaphragm which in turn raises the carb slide which controls both amounts of air & fuel. As the engine is a single cylinder it tends to create a pulse or fluctuation in the vacuum feed line to the carb diaphragm. By inserting this Resonator hose in the diaphram vacuum circuit it acts as vacuum tank which in turn keeps the vacuum supply smooth.

Hose from carb?

What is the purpose of the " Intake Manifold Pipe"
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

For my 1990 I don't think its a resonator hook up. The hose goes from the side of the carb (no the manifold/boot) to the canister and from the canister (mounted on the frame) it goes to the gas tank.

I was under the impression that it was a CA thing for gas fumes and ultimately was not needed (engine running wise). I was just going to put on the 1991 carb non-cali (rebuilt of course) and remove the can and hose to the tank. Then I would just add a little one way vent to the tank.

Does all of this make sense to you guys?

Again thanks for all the help, this is the first forum I have joined and this has been very helpful.

Steve

I sure wish I knew more regarding the left coast bikes and carbs but I am at a severe disadvantage being on the right coast and never having dealt with any such garbage.

I still believe since you are working with an Old Style carb the one on ebay can be made to work without any real modification. I would just remove the canister and all the trash with it and plug any remaining holes.

Seems to me from all I have read that California is famous for making you go around the block to get across the damn street! Another thing I don't know is if a Cali bike from 1990 has to pass some BS emissions test in which case you will have to have it all the way it was designed and tuned up real lean like it came from the factory just to pass the stupid test. I have had and worked on 7 different TWs so far but never one from the left.

GaryL

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    1989 Lowe Lunker

The Calif. gas tank vents on the bottom through a little plastic nipple thing. I removed it and replaced it with a 10mm bolt and o-ring. I then made sure that air leaked through the key hole on the gas cap. I forget exactly what I did but I did take the gas cap apart and put it back together, that much I remember.

Keep the smog parts because you never know what those idiots in Sacramento are going to do next and you might have to reinstall them every couple of years.

As for carburetor rebuild kits for the TW I have never had any kind of good results. My best results have been buying individual parts -- specifically a new #114 high speed jet, a new #40 pilot jet and an o-ring set from Harbor Freight and a Harbor Freight ultra sonic cleaner using Simple Green.

Early Carburetor.jpg
    littletommy, GaryL and cowboyjeff like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Do you know Elime? What is the difference between a Cal and non Cal carb? I know the gas tank has an extra nipple but don't believe it has anything to do with the carb, just the canister.

GaryL

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    1989 Lowe Lunker

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links