96 TW200 Electrical Question - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: 96 TW200 Electrical Question

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    My guess is an extra relay triggered by charging system output with "jumper" so headlight stays on if the engine stalls after initial start up.
    I think not Scottie. Our bikes here run the lights direct off the battery once the key is turned on. I guess over the pond they do run only after the engine starts running so that would be some difference in the wiring. What I am trying to figure out is if a Japan model bike was imported over here would the wire harness from our bikes link right up to a Japan/Eu bike or not. If Purple is right and his lights only come on when the engine is running then I am thinking they have a different harness than we have. The other half of that is that we can't turn our lights off here when the key is on and the engine is running, He might be able to flip the light switch to off and run in dark mode. Here at least in NY we are legally ordered to have out headlights on while moving.

Gary
    Last edited by GaryL; 04-20-2017 at 06:04 PM.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks
    1974 Boston Whaler Montauk
    1989 Lowe Lunker

Here is a diagram for a Yamaha XJ650, maybe the Euro or JapTw200's have something similar. The headlight relay is triggered by the stator, (dotted blk/wht wire), but uses the 12 volts from the battery, (rd/yel wire from fuse 2) to power the lights.

diagram.jpg
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

My ’98 headlight “pulses” or “flickers” at very low revs and while on the starter, indicating a direct correlation between the magneto and the bulb

Kill the engine, and you kill the headlight

There is no option to “run dark”, standard hi/lo switch only, no on/off – (although a simple toggle would soon fix that)

I’ll do some nosing around on the interweb later today, but don’t get your hopes up …….
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    My ’98 headlight “pulses” or “flickers” at very low revs and while on the starter, indicating a direct correlation between the magneto and the bulb

Kill the engine, and you kill the headlight

There is no option to “run dark”, standard hi/lo switch only, no on/off – (although a simple toggle would soon fix that)

I’ll do some nosing around on the interweb later today, but don’t get your hopes up …….
    It just seems strange that we here can bring up all the various schematics with the corresponding parts numbers at any web site selling Yamaha parts. I can't find a way to bring any of the schematics up for the Japan/EU models. I imagine those non American models are the same in most ways but might have some subtle differences as you describe with the electrical systems. This kind of info will be great to have for when ever we are helping our over seas members. Is there no web sites over there that have the schematics for our bikes just like Partzilla over here? I am willing to bet if I sent you a new wiring harness for an American 1998 TW it won't be a plug and play harness on your EU 1998.

GaryL
    littletommy likes this.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    1989 Lowe Lunker

Found a link that you have answered before Who has these answers?

And several diagrams for TW200 EU EUC

s-l1600.jpg

The following links to some very interesting information that should make life easier in the electrical department

Yamaha Tw200 Wiring Diagram. Yamaha. Free Wiring Diagrams

Yamaha Trailway 200 Wiring Diagram. Yamaha. Free Wiring Diagrams

But no confirmation of years or of part numbers for the Japanese wiring loom …….
    littletommy likes this.

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 5000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007

Does this mean if you go to a Yamaha dealer or a web site that sells Yamaha parts in the EU that you can't find the part numbers of the parts you want to order?

Over here I can go to any number of on line parts sellers and in a few clicks I can have the 1998 TW with all the schematics and part numbers right in front of me.

How do you guys over there order parts?

GaryL
    littletommy likes this.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    1989 Lowe Lunker

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Does this mean if you go to a Yamaha dealer or a web site that sells Yamaha parts in the EU that you can't find the part numbers of the parts you want to order?

Over here I can go to any number of on line parts sellers and in a few clicks I can have the 1998 TW with all the schematics and part numbers right in front of me.

How do you guys over there order parts?

GaryL
    It means that in the UK and the rest of Europe, the TW200 is regarded as a “grey import” with very limited parts listings. In large parts of Europe, you’re not even supposed to import them unless some very restrictive rules are met

As such, the wiring loom for a Japanese market ’98 is going to be rocking horse shit – you’d be better off with a wiring loom from the USA and a soldering iron.

The vast majority of parts are interchangeable, but with the wiring loom it’s different – easier to make “adjustments” on your own.

While you “could” walk into a Yamaha dealer and discuss it over a cup of coffee and the microfiche, the answer is likely to be the same for a ’98 Japanese specific part – “sorry mate, not on here”.

In addition to this, very few parts are listed at all, even on fleabay, at least on this side of the pond. As for new parts, you’re having a giraffe – handle bar levers, chains and sprockets, tail light bulbs are all out there – otherwise try this site The UK?s biggest choice of motorcycle parts for Japanese and European machines. stick in TW200 in the search bar and see what you get …..

As a Jamaican friend of mine used to say – “Him get it, but him nah get it – focked”

The many interchangeable parts can usually be sourced, either through a dealer or from the States, but there’s no such thing as an “on line parts seller” over here, (for a bike that’s not even supposed to be over here) – no call for it ……

And if you think that’s bad – try parts specific to the TW225 Special Edition – you’re really “riding on the edge” there

“Over here I can go to any number of on line parts sellers and in a few clicks I can have the 1998 TW with all the schematics and part numbers right in front of me” – and thanks the internet, so can I – go “over there” I mean

Getting your hands on them is a different matter ……

It’s never presented an insurmountable problem, just requires a certain degree of “determination”.

And let’s face it, if I can get my hands on this baby - I can get my hands on anything ……

CIMG4601.JPG
    littletommy likes this.

YUP! I have tried every way I know, even called Yamaha direct here and they can't help me with a part number for your 1998 EU model TW200 wiring harness. I can pull those numbers up here for every year TW ever made with just a few clicks. I do know that in Australia they get the Japan/EU model bikes too but I don't know anyone there who could help us or if they have the same problems finding parts.

GaryL
    littletommy likes this.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    1989 Lowe Lunker

Agman probably knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    YUP! I have tried every way I know, even called Yamaha direct here and they can't help me with a part number for your 1998 EU model TW200 wiring harness. I can pull those numbers up here for every year TW ever made with just a few clicks. I do know that in Australia they get the Japan/EU model bikes too but I don't know anyone there who could help us or if they have the same problems finding parts.

GaryL
    LittleTommy Hidden Content

--In Memory Of--
    Our Fallen Heroes

TW2007
    Lizrdbrth
    TWisty
    RonInBoise
    *Reserved*

Rest In Peace Brothers.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Agman probably knows.
    YUP! I have been hoping he might chime in because he is a wealth of info from down under. I just figured Purple might have some magic pills and be able to figure this out from across the pond.

What we already do know as long as his Japan model 1998 TW is unmolested in the wiring is they are in fact different. Our lights come on with the key switch and work off the battery while his apparently work off the stator only when the engine is running.

GaryL
    littletommy likes this.

2006 TW200
    2006 XT225
    1989 Lowe Lunker

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links