Start up *Help in Sacramento :( - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Start up *Help in Sacramento :(

If the engine will crank and there is a bit of spark all the switches are function correctly.
    Not in neutral and stand down it will not crank..

Try the gas in the spark plug hole like Elime said and let us know how that goes.

You also can get a spare plug, remove the ignition wire from the engine plug and put it on the new plug. Put the new plug against the engine head so it has metal to metal contact and crank the engine. Watch the spark across the plug gap... It should spark... If not... then there is something going on with the coil primary circuit, wiring to the stator or..... the stator itself.

I am not a TW expert but know the mechanics and electronics of just about everything so if this goes down the tubes I might be able to help... I live in Fair Oaks.

Jim
    Rockit, cowboyjeff and Ldw777frog like this.
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

I'd also recommend BHP Motorsports in Sacramento. Excellent service and Aaron is a great technician.

BHP Motorsports

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Just for giggles and grins turn the petcock to reserve.
    BkCntryCrwlr and cowboyjeff like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jtstdub View Post
    If the engine will crank and there is a bit of spark all the switches are function correctly.
    Not in neutral and stand down it will not crank..

Try the gas in the spark plug hole like Elime said and let us know how that goes.

You also can get a spare plug, remove the ignition wire from the engine plug and put it on the new plug. Put the new plug against the engine head so it has metal to metal contact and crank the engine. Watch the spark across the plug gap... It should spark... If not... then there is something going on with the coil primary circuit, wiring to the stator or..... the stator itself.

I am not a TW expert but know the mechanics and electronics of just about everything so if this goes down the tubes I might be able to help... I live in Fair Oaks.

Jim
    I went through the service manual and tried all the troubleshooting tricks. I even borrowed a CDI and that didn't work either. I have tried all the ideas people have suggested here too. The bike still wont start I am in Orangevale and am planning on taking the bike to Capitol Yamaha b/c I am at a loss.
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldw777frog View Post
    I went through the service manual and tried all the troubleshooting tricks. I even borrowed a CDI and that didn't work either. I have tried all the ideas people have suggested here too. The bike still wont start I am in Orangevale and am planning on taking the bike to Capitol Yamaha b/c I am at a loss.
    Did you give it a shot of gas in the spark plug hole?

I could come over this afternoon and take a look.

PM me if you like.

Jim
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

PM me if you like.

Jim
    yep to gas and starter fluid and no go for both. I just PMed you thanks
    littletommy likes this.

PM me if you like.

Jim
    Definitely, I would appreciate it! thanks
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldw777frog View Post
    Definitely, I would appreciate it! thanks
    I pm'd you back...

Jim
    littletommy likes this.

Update:

Well My son and i linked up with Ldw and we went over to see what the situation is..

Ldw and friend are quite knowledgeable... and they had the basics pretty much down before we arrived. We just retraced their steps and did some deeper verification of the symptoms.

We spent about an hour going through some basics... But we were un-sucessful getting her engine to fire.

Engine cranks very good and strong but no start or even a burp.

Spark plug out there is no spark, spare plug no spark.

In line spark tester showed a weak spark, not enough to jump the gap of he plug.

Timing light would not trigger a flash.

We reseated the coil grounds.

Measured coil resistances.

Swapped the coil with a new but not proven coil.

Swapped ECU Ignition module, used and unknown if it is good or not , no change, weak spark

Un plugged, cleaned some corrosion on some contacts of all interface connectors. No change, weak spark.

She may have a fuel related problem but at this point we need enough spark to get a pop, using starter fluid and there is no fire!

Bummer that we could not find a quick down dirty solution to the problem...

My son is going to pick up Ldw's Dub and take it to his home shop in the next couple of days..

We can then scope and measure voltages and hopefully get a quick resolution to this issue.

It is strange that she had the tires replace, no other service and when she got the bike home it would not start...

We found no indication of anything amiss from the shop...

Jim
    admiral, elime, TW-Brian and 4 others like this.

I'd concentrate on the weak spark. BTW kudos for stepping in to help. It is strange that this happened after changing the tires probably coincidence. When I lived in an apartment once I helped a neighbor with a broken leg. He had a Triumph 650 (70's) he wanted to sell and asked me if I would ride it down to the self car wash and wash it for him before he sold it so I did. Long story short after I rode it back, the next day it wouldn't start. He was blaming me for ruining his bike. What did I do to it etc. It turns out after much bruha one of the spark plugs was bad. The insulator had cracked from the washing but I had been able to ride it back before it stopped working. Anyway looking for a great outcome on the trouble shooting.
    admiral and socalnative like this.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links