New Battery Tender lithium is dead. - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: New Battery Tender lithium is dead.

MT21 sheds mud pretty well for a front. I am sure the d606 would be similar. 244 isnt super agressive, I would assume 241 is better in the mud too.
    2002 TW200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan currently

You mentioned mud on the plug so yes that could have caused the poor running. Did the battery hold a charge?
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, weld on foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I'm sure it probably is, but.....the battery charger you are using is made specifically for a lithium battery correct?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ok. Appreciate the suggestions on front tire choices. Been waiting for a good excuse to slap something else on the front. Bike starts and runs well with a donor battery so I am blaming the starting and running issues on the mud and or a breathing problem. All of my electrical connections seemed good. Lithium battery sat on the charger for 36 hours and read 12.85 again when disconnected. As I watched the meter, I could see it discharging. It would lose a point every 30 seconds or so. Damn! After 36 hours rest, the BT lithium reads 10.6 and I'm not even gonna hook it back up. This battery is toast. Less than a month old and under 15 or so starts on it. Very disappointed. I'm not saying that I didn't cause or contribute to the failure but come on. Are these things that fickle? Bought it from Amazon so am gonna try to get them to take it back.

My charger is the Battery Tender Junior and I specifically asked customer support if this tender would be ok for the lithium and they confirmed that it would be fine. I did fully charge the battery prior to initial install. Thought I was doing everything right.
    Tweaker and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    2007 TW200, Cycleracks, Jimbo shield, Tinman Tim racks and tool tube mount, Shinko 244 in 5.10, Protaper ATV mid handlebars, Tusk D-flex hand guards, e-bay steel pegs

See below info from Battery tender concerning using a regular BT on a Lithium battery. I have the BT Lithium like you and have the Lithium battery Tender charger. I have run the battery dead a couple times while out and about by leaving the lights on etc - bump started in 3rd go home put on the charger and all is well - The lead acid and lithium are very different critters - see below. Amazon will take it back - good luck!

WHY YOU SHOULD NOT USE A BATTERY TENDER® ON A LITHIUM BATTERY

Here is the simple answer: A Battery Tender® can not measure State of Charge (SoC) of a lithium battery. It simply does not have this capability. While they work great on lead acid batteries, they are not able to accurately “read” lithium batteries. So, they will never properly charge a lightweight lithium battery.

Beyond SoC, the Battery Tender® is looking for a 6 cell battery, with each cell having roughly 2 volts. All lithium lightweight batteries are based on 4 cell packs, with each cell having roughly 3.3 volts. This sends the Battery Tender® a reading that is outside of the safe charging window, and contributes to the incompatibility.

So, how will this damage a lithium battery? The answer depends on a number of factors which are too numerous to go into here. The fact is that it wont work properly, it can damage a lightweight lithium battery, and will void your warranty…so dont do it.

A final note- when you see battery companies advertising “no battery tender required” or “works with battery tender”, they are either lying to you, or dont know any better. Neither of those options is good when working with a battery company and should raise a big red flag about their understanding of the products they are selling.
    centralwarider and admiral like this.

I've been looking into converting to a lithium battery and this thread came at a good time. This is what Battery Tender has on their website:

12. Can I use a standard Lead Acid charger/maintainer for my Battery Tender® lithium battery?

As long as the battery charger does not have a desulfation mode and the peak voltage does not exceed 14.8V during the charge cycle it can be used to charge a Battery Tender® Lithium Battery. Of course the best way to charge and maintain a Battery Tender® Lithium Battery is to use a Battery Tender® Lithium Battery Charger.

Does that seem reasonable given DONZO's post?

Just looked up which BT charger will work with their lithium battery. It's the 800 series which they list for $199!!
    Last edited by Beeline; 05-09-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    Tweaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeline View Post
    I've been looking into converting to a lithium battery and this thread came at a good time. This is what Battery Tender has on their website:

12. Can I use a standard Lead Acid charger/maintainer for my Battery Tender® lithium battery?

As long as the battery charger does not have a desulfation mode and the peak voltage does not exceed 14.8V during the charge cycle it can be used to charge a Battery Tender® Lithium Battery. Of course the best way to charge and maintain a Battery Tender® Lithium Battery is to use a Battery Tender® Lithium Battery Charger.

Does that seem reasonable given DONZO's post?

Just looked up which BT charger will work with their lithium battery. It's the 800 series which they list for $199!!
    I would say better safe than sorry - A lithium charger is about $30 bucks on Amazon..... unfortunately the graph showing how a Lead acid vs lithium charges did not paste - here's the text.- they are quite different.

5-Step Lithium Iron Phosphate Charging Algorithm
    In the following figure, the text boxes above the voltage and current graphs contain the details for the charging steps. The time scale is not proportional to any real time. It set to match up with the text boxes. That is for display information only.

Lithium Iron Phosphate 5-Step Charging Algorithm
    Figure 2: Lithium Iron Phosphate 5-Step Charging Algorithm
    Looking at the graph, Step 2, Recovery Mode would seem to occupy the position as the first real charging step. It is specifically shown here and not for the lead-acid battery chargers because of the more sensitive nature lithium iron phosphate, certainly in terms of voltage dependence, but also with respect to charge current amplitude.

Don’t forget that a 12 volt lithium iron phosphate battery consist of 4 individual 3.3 volt cells. That is a 13.2 volt 100% SOC voltage. Even though 8 volts is discussed as a low limit voltage, in fact, voltages just below 12 are more nearly an indicator of a fully discharged battery.
    Beeline likes this.

After doing some more reading - I think the regular battery tender would be ok for maintaining a fully charged lithium battery as does our stator while riding. Re- charging a dead lithium battery with a non lithium charger may be more problematic...sorry for all this - but, this is something that interests me!
    Beeline and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Thanks Donzo, very informative.

Very much appreciate all of the good feedback. I was super impressed with the BT lithium right up until it died on me. Working on sending it back to Amazon now. I did order an AGM recommended by fishguy in an earlier battery thread. It is dirt cheap and cannot be any less reliable than this lithium has been. I wanted so badly for the lithium to be fantastic. Unfortunately, real world use and abuse has crushed my hopes and destroyed this Battery Tender Lifepo4 battery. Maybe the technology will improve. In the meantime I had to ride the little CRF150f cause the Freedom Machine is on the ropes until new battery arrives. Thanks again for the help and feedback everyone. Love this site

IMG_3116.JPG
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.
    2007 TW200, Cycleracks, Jimbo shield, Tinman Tim racks and tool tube mount, Shinko 244 in 5.10, Protaper ATV mid handlebars, Tusk D-flex hand guards, e-bay steel pegs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links