New Battery Tender lithium is dead.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: New Battery Tender lithium is dead.

New Battery Tender lithium is dead.

Headed for the green dot roads this morning because that was the plan so damn the fact that it rained so much last night. We weren't even into the woods yet when the gumbo mud became incredibly sticky, slippery and a general pain in the arse. Did about half mile in first gear, sometimes revving it up through the mess and other times putting along slowly. Then my bike just died. Going real slow and then it kind of bogged down and died.

Now things start to get weird. Bike doesn't want to start right back up. Acts flooded? Then it starts but doesn't want to idle. Idles better at half choke. Dies when throttle applied. Then doesn't want to start again and eventually I've killed the brand new Batter Tender lithium battery. Bump start and run at half choke to get back home. A bit of towing in there somewhere. At home the battery reads 10.3 on the meter and spray a crazy volume of mud off the bike. Bump start again and bike seems to run fine, no choke and idles great. Rides around no problem. While bike is running the battery climbs from 10.3 to 13.3 on the meter. Take a 30 mile road ride with no issues. Pull in and test the battery. 13.85 on the meter and 14.25 when it is revving up. Great. Problems solved. Turned it off and went in.

40 minutes later the bike wont start. 10.1 on the meter. Won't even turn it over. I have it on the charger now but my hopes are not too high.

Great day prior to mud and bike problems.

IMG_3111.JPG IMG_3114.JPG
    2007 TW200, Cycleracks, Jimbo shield, Tinman Tim racks and tool tube mount, Shinko 244 in 5.10, Protaper ATV mid handlebars, Tusk D-flex hand guards, e-bay steel pegs

And I have my first complaint about the Shinko 244. Going slow in the nasty mud and that tire didn't shed any mud at all. Quickly built up to be a problem between the tire and fender and it was cutting it away on both forks constantly as it rolled along. Looked like an old Play-doh press. I have really never ridden in conditions like that so I can't tell you if any other tire would have done better but that sucked and there was really no traction left for steering well.
    2007 TW200, Cycleracks, Jimbo shield, Tinman Tim racks and tool tube mount, Shinko 244 in 5.10, Protaper ATV mid handlebars, Tusk D-flex hand guards, e-bay steel pegs

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Better check your connections and charging rate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by centralwarider View Post
    And I have my first complaint about the Shinko 244. Going slow in the nasty mud and that tire didn't shed any mud at all. .......
    Yeah, in that gumbo mud the only tire that would shed it would be something like the Kenda 760....way too aggressive a tire for most of us. When I got into that kind of mud I had BOTH the Kenda 270 and the OEM rear lock up. I had to stop twice and find a stick to dig it out. I'll never go back there when it's real wet.

Sorry, no ideas on the BT Lithium issue.
    cowboyjeff likes this.
    Rocky
    2010 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Your battery never had a chance to recharge even though it read 13.85 on the meter that is the charge rate from the voltage regulator. Driving it a 1/2 hour will put very little charge back into it. The headlight uses @1/3 of the charge rate. You probably put 1-2 amp hrs back in. The only way to tell the true charge is to let the battery rest for a 1/2 hr and then measure it disconnected after charging. I hope it comes back for you on the charger. Is it still under warrenty? If it's not don't give up hope sometimes lithium cells can be raised up from a state where they won't take a charge to one where they will. I saved one of my lithium power tool batteries by opening the case and hitting the low cell with a charge from a 9v battery. Works like new. There are youtube videos on reviving dead lithium tool batteries. It is not a dangerous procedure like any battery you need to exercise care and not short it in any way.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, weld on foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Hey I wonder if your carb vent tube got plugged by mud and that's why it was running bad. Did you modify it for deep water crossings?
    Dryden-Tdub, Ken, fishguy and 3 others like this.
    Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper Bars one with risers, DG oval pipes. rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Aserbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, weld on foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    Hey I wonder if your carb vent tube got plugged by mud and that's why it was running bad. Did you modify it for deep water crossings?
    I was just going to type that. Great suggestion!
    XT225 - 1999 Serow... (Now in the Coral!) Yay
    TW200Z - 2010
    BW200 - 1986
    TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 - 2017

Good suggestion, proper venting of carb and tank on these bikes is surprisingly critical.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Ok I'm back. Thanks for all the input everyone. Gonna check the connections for sure. Please tell me more about checking my charge rate. I have a pretty good multimeter, just don't know how to use it for the most part. Battery sat on the BT junior charger for last 24 hours. I can barely stand the suspense. Because the bike ran so poorly in the mud and ran so well washed off, I too suspected breathing problems. I do have the deep water mod in place, but those lower tubes were caked and the underside of the seat was solid. Also, a large clump of mud on the cylinder head across the spark plug. Could that cause a problem? I will go do some work and report back here.

Thanks again for any feedback.

MT21 sheds mud pretty well for a front. I am sure the d606 would be similar. 244 isnt super agressive, I would assume 241 is better in the mud too.
    Ken likes this.
    2002 TW200
    1998 DR350
    1996 KDX 200
    Riding in and around the great state of Michigan (usually)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links