Broken Drain Plug
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Broken Drain Plug

Broken Drain Plug

I was going to experiment with the carburetor on my TW with the 70mm Wiseco Piston and the MegaCycle camshaft. I am trying to get the low end performance to be a little better even though I am very satisfied with the mid and upper range performance. Since I put the camshaft break in grease on the camshaft I decided it was time to change the oil -- and that is when my troubles started.

Long story short I bought a new six sided 19mm Craftsman socket hoping it would grip the end of the drain plug well enough to unscrew it. It held but the drain plug didn't.

PB020032.JPG

PB020034.JPG

Next I tried a chisel on the outer edge of the plug. Problem with that is the chisel has to be angled towards the center of the plug or it slides off. Basically it didn't work.
    The next idea was to drill a hole so I could angle the chisel in the direction the plug turns and that worked perfectly. Two not very hard taps and off it came.
    PB020036.JPG

PB020037.JPG
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Now I need a new plug. My thoughts were that it will be 5 days to a week before I get one. I looked through all my spare parts and I knew there wasn't a plug there but I was hoping. Then as I was putting everything away I looked down on the floor and saw the engine block TW Brian gave to me a long time ago. YAHOO!!!! The first words out of my mouth were "THANK YOU TW BRIAN!" I grabbed a wrench and said to myself "please, please, please don't be on there tight!" and it wasn't tight at all. Barely finger tight! YAHOO and thanks again!!!!!

PB020038.JPG

As an added bonus the screen inside TW Brian's block was in much better shape than the one I had so I used it.

PB020040.JPG

Anyway, that has been my day so far. From bad luck to good luck with the help of a gift TW Brian gave me 2 or 3 years ago. Thanks again Brian. One never knows what affect his deeds done today will have some time in the future. Tony

Whew! Glad that worked out!

Not casting aspersions, but just curious...

...did you use a torque wrench when installing the drain plug?
    Ken likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

...did you use a torque wrench when installing the drain plug?
    Yes to the recommended 31 ft lbs. But no more! I am thinking more like 20ft lbs should be plenty.

Great!

These thing happen.

As an aside, I did an engine and rear drive oil change on a newly purchased but used Yamaha Zuma 125. I think both drain plugs had torque settings in the teens.

31 ft/lbs sounds like a typical number, however, and I think you may have just had the bad luck of a poorly cast drain plug.
    elime, TopPredator and Ken like this.

Great idea for removing the plug - drilling the hole and all.
    Ken and cowboyjeff like this.
    Yamaha - 1992 TW200
    BMW - 1995 R1100GS

Hey Tony, I want that plug back !

(Just kidding, but I do want to see what you come up with to salvage that busted plug. I've seen what you've done to fix broken brake/clutch levers, and I know that you don't throw anything out !)

Glad to have helped you out.

Brian
    site:tw200forum.com

Ken
    My luck with torque wrenches is if it starts at 20 ' lbs and the torque is 30' lbs don't use it. I have twisted bolts off when the torque wrench didn't click and passed up the torque. I use the old fashioned needle type torque wrench for lower torques that are usually about 15-30' lbs.
    elime and cowboyjeff like this.

Good fix. You could have drilled another hole about 180° from the first one you drilled and used something between them. I've gone to die grinding or dremeling with a cutoff wheel and making a slot in broken or stripped bolts with good luck. Of course any technique that works is a winner!
    elime and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    My luck with torque wrenches is if it starts at 20 ' lbs and the torque is 30' lbs don't use it. I have twisted bolts off when the torque wrench didn't click and passed up the torque. I use the old fashioned needle type torque wrench for lower torques that are usually about 15-30' lbs.
    At a seminar on aircraft maintenance we were reminded that torque wrenches should be calibrated annually. The instructor said he waited for torque wrenches to go on sale at Harbor Freight (!) and simply replaced them every year. On sale they're right around $10, so it's cheaper than calibrating one.

I'm on my second set. I buy one 3/8" drive and one 1/2" drive to cover most common settings. I'm paranoid enough, that whenever I set a torque setting, I walk over to my bench vise, clamp the drive in the jaws and pull to the "click". First, to make sure it's working. Second, to make sure it "feels" right.

As an aside, I also have a much smaller, beam-type 1/4" drive for very low settings. Gets used mainly on smaller bicycle fittings, and is marked in newton-meters.
    Ken, Xracer, elime and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links