Red rear spring install issues
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Red rear spring install issues

  1. #1
    Junior Member EVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    14

    Red rear spring install issues

    I bought the red 19kg spring to replace my stock rear spring. Ive taken it to 3 shops and they cant seem to compress it enough to put the collars back on. I was wondering if maybe
    Yamaha made a change to the rear shock for 17. The spring does look 2 inches longer then the stock one. I also noticed I have a different type of tension adjuster on this shock then what shows in the videos.
    DANo896, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member TW-Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    4,331
    This is the first that I have heard that the 2017's have a new shock. I am "shocked " that Yamaha actually made a change to the TW!

    Let's see some pics of that shock. It must not be an upgrade if you are looking to replace the spring already.

    I don't remember the red spring being significantly longer that the stock yellow one.

    100_4733.JPG
    site:tw200forum.com

  3. #3
    Junior Member EVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    This is the first that I have heard that the 2017's have a new shock. I am "shocked " that Yamaha actually made a change to the TW!

    Let's see some pics of that shock. It must not be an upgrade if you are looking to replace the spring already.

    I don't remember the red spring being significantly longer that the stock yellow one.

    100_4733.JPG
    I'll post some pictures tomorrow. My stock spring is black and no where near at thick as your yellow one.
    TW-Brian, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Junior Member EVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    14
    Here is the shock, the black spring is the stock one. Notice the tension adjuster how its different.IMG_0228.JPG
    jtomelliott49, cowboyjeff and Ken like this.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Deepseadan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    278

    Red rear spring install issues

    Yeah I just did my 2016 spring and I don't remember it being that much longer than the stock spring. Your rear shock is definitely different than mine and when I look at the parts diagrams there are different part numbers for the two years. Yamaha obviously changed the shock for 2017. I know my local shop was barely able to squeeze it on and I had it on the longest setting or softest position. Bummer if you can't get it to fit, the 19kg spring was a massive improvement over stock. It's the only aftermarket spring that I know of as well. Maybe you could have cannon racecraft make you one if worse comes to worse. The procycle 19kg is straight rate.

    If it helps I just measured my stock black spring uncompressed and it measured about 7.5" tall. Is yours that same length?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Deepseadan; 05-20-2017 at 01:28 AM.
    Dryden-Tdub, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

  7. #6
    rbm
    rbm is offline
    Senior Member rbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,097
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH View Post
    Here is the shock, the black spring is the stock one. Notice the tension adjuster how its different.IMG_0228.JPG
    IT looks like the new shock has adjustment notches, the bottom of the pic?
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

  8. #7
    Ken
    Ken is offline
    Senior Member Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    636
    Check with Procycle, maybe they accidentally sent you a different red spring, wrong length. Maybe someone can measure a stock shock from another year. Maybe the new one is shorter.
    socalnative and jtomelliott49 like this.

  9. #8
    Junior Member EVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepseadan View Post
    Yeah I just did my 2016 spring and I don't remember it being that much longer than the stock spring. Your rear shock is definitely different than mine and when I look at the parts diagrams there are different part numbers for the two years. Yamaha obviously changed the shock for 2017. I know my local shop was barely able to squeeze it on and I had it on the longest setting or softest position. Bummer if you can't get it to fit, the 19kg spring was a massive improvement over stock. It's the only aftermarket spring that I know of as well. Maybe you could have cannon racecraft make you one if worse comes to worse. The procycle 19kg is straight rate.

    If it helps I just measured my stock black spring uncompressed and it measured about 7.5" tall. Is yours that same length?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My stock spring measures 6 1/4 inches uncompressed. I don't think there's a way to make this spring fit, it looks like you'd have to compress the red spring almost entirely to get it to the point you could put the collars on. I do think they changed the shock on the 17's. So I'm now stuck with a 130 dollar spring that doesn't fit.
    Thanks for everyone's help.
    Ken, Purple and jtomelliott49 like this.

  10. #9
    rbm
    rbm is offline
    Senior Member rbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,097
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH View Post
    My stock spring measures 6 1/4 inches uncompressed. I don't think there's a way to make this spring fit, it looks like you'd have to compress the red spring almost entirely to get it to the point you could put the collars on. I do think they changed the shock on the 17's. So I'm now stuck with a 130 dollar spring that doesn't fit.
    Thanks for everyone's help.
    I would call Procycle and explain the situation. This is the first time we've heard that Yamaha has changed something on the TW suspension since inception.
    socalnative, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

  11. #10
    Senior Member socalnative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    202
    Procycle should take it back because it's not the correct part. I'm not that familiar with the stock rear spring but I don't remember it being wound that progressively. The red spring would have to be compressed way to much to fit. And I'd bet it would leave you with limited travel before the coils bound.
    Call procycle before messing around more with that spring.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted ProCycle Red Rear Spring & 70kg Front Springs etc
    By PlacerLode in forum TW200 Classifieds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2016, 02:57 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-24-2015, 12:14 PM
  3. rear drum issues
    By gamorg02 in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 01:44 PM
  4. Rear Wheel issues...again
    By bluefox in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 11:11 AM
  5. Headlight Assembly Spring Install...help please?
    By a_frye in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-26-2013, 02:03 PM