Red rear spring install issues
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Red rear spring install issues

I bought the red 19kg spring to replace my stock rear spring. Ive taken it to 3 shops and they cant seem to compress it enough to put the collars back on. I was wondering if maybe
    Yamaha made a change to the rear shock for 17. The spring does look 2 inches longer then the stock one. I also noticed I have a different type of tension adjuster on this shock then what shows in the videos.
    DANo896, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

This is the first that I have heard that the 2017's have a new shock. I am "shocked " that Yamaha actually made a change to the TW!

Let's see some pics of that shock. It must not be an upgrade if you are looking to replace the spring already.

I don't remember the red spring being significantly longer that the stock yellow one.

100_4733.JPG
    site:tw200forum.com

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    This is the first that I have heard that the 2017's have a new shock. I am "shocked " that Yamaha actually made a change to the TW!

Let's see some pics of that shock. It must not be an upgrade if you are looking to replace the spring already.

I don't remember the red spring being significantly longer that the stock yellow one.

100_4733.JPG
    I'll post some pictures tomorrow. My stock spring is black and no where near at thick as your yellow one.
    TW-Brian, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Here is the shock, the black spring is the stock one. Notice the tension adjuster how its different.IMG_0228.JPG
    jtomelliott49, cowboyjeff and Ken like this.

Yeah I just did my 2016 spring and I don't remember it being that much longer than the stock spring. Your rear shock is definitely different than mine and when I look at the parts diagrams there are different part numbers for the two years. Yamaha obviously changed the shock for 2017. I know my local shop was barely able to squeeze it on and I had it on the longest setting or softest position. Bummer if you can't get it to fit, the 19kg spring was a massive improvement over stock. It's the only aftermarket spring that I know of as well. Maybe you could have cannon racecraft make you one if worse comes to worse. The procycle 19kg is straight rate.

If it helps I just measured my stock black spring uncompressed and it measured about 7.5" tall. Is yours that same length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Deepseadan; 05-20-2017 at 01:28 AM.
    Dryden-Tdub, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Current bikes 2016 KTM 500 EXC, 2016 Yamaha TW 200

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH View Post
    Here is the shock, the black spring is the stock one. Notice the tension adjuster how its different.IMG_0228.JPG
    IT looks like the new shock has adjustment notches, the bottom of the pic?
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Ken
    Check with Procycle, maybe they accidentally sent you a different red spring, wrong length. Maybe someone can measure a stock shock from another year. Maybe the new one is shorter.
    socalnative and jtomelliott49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepseadan View Post
    Yeah I just did my 2016 spring and I don't remember it being that much longer than the stock spring. Your rear shock is definitely different than mine and when I look at the parts diagrams there are different part numbers for the two years. Yamaha obviously changed the shock for 2017. I know my local shop was barely able to squeeze it on and I had it on the longest setting or softest position. Bummer if you can't get it to fit, the 19kg spring was a massive improvement over stock. It's the only aftermarket spring that I know of as well. Maybe you could have cannon racecraft make you one if worse comes to worse. The procycle 19kg is straight rate.

If it helps I just measured my stock black spring uncompressed and it measured about 7.5" tall. Is yours that same length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My stock spring measures 6 1/4 inches uncompressed. I don't think there's a way to make this spring fit, it looks like you'd have to compress the red spring almost entirely to get it to the point you could put the collars on. I do think they changed the shock on the 17's. So I'm now stuck with a 130 dollar spring that doesn't fit.
    Thanks for everyone's help.
    Ken, Purple and jtomelliott49 like this.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by EVH View Post
    My stock spring measures 6 1/4 inches uncompressed. I don't think there's a way to make this spring fit, it looks like you'd have to compress the red spring almost entirely to get it to the point you could put the collars on. I do think they changed the shock on the 17's. So I'm now stuck with a 130 dollar spring that doesn't fit.
    Thanks for everyone's help.
    I would call Procycle and explain the situation. This is the first time we've heard that Yamaha has changed something on the TW suspension since inception.
    socalnative, Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Procycle should take it back because it's not the correct part. I'm not that familiar with the stock rear spring but I don't remember it being wound that progressively. The red spring would have to be compressed way to much to fit. And I'd bet it would leave you with limited travel before the coils bound.
    Call procycle before messing around more with that spring.
    Ken and jtomelliott49 like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links