Close
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I want to try to clarify this. When adjusting the pilot screw, turning it clockwise will lean out the mixture. So turning it counter-clockwise will richen the mixture allowing more fuel to enter the cylinder. So if there is a surge at low speed when opening the throttle quickly it needs to be leaner. Correct?

And is there a sweet spot where it will be easy to start and not surge or is it a trade off?
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Counter-clockwise = more fuel. You are metering fuel with it, not air.

Surge is usually a lean condition, meaning you need to give it more fuel (counter-clockwise). The carby sticky has the procedure on how to tune this circuit properly, but most find somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5 turns out works best...screw it in (clockwise) until it just stops (don't torque it down), then back it out 2.5 turns.

I have done this and i'm thinking that maybe I need to remove a washer or 2 from my needle. The issue occurs when I rev up let off and then immediately rev it back up. There is a small hesitation which makes it hard to pop the front end up over obstacles.
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

I think you're on the right path. That doesn't sound like the idle circuit, that sounds like the midrange and too many washers would cause it to run fat/boggy.

Hmmm I took out 1 then 2 washers and the low throttle miss is fixed but now I have it at mid/high range and when I rev it all the way out, it smokes a little

I now have it set with a 130 main, 3 .01 shims and 2.5 turns out on the pilot screw. It was at 130, 5 and 2.75 turns out. And i'm usually running at about 475ft above sea level.
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

I am about to head out to the garage to mess with it some more. Any suggestions?
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

What color is the smoke? What does it smell like? Is it just vapor from built-up moisture in the muffler? Does it smoke when driving wide-open throttle at high rpm or just when revving it in neutral? Is it continuous or just a puff? Are your valves in spec?

What's your float height measurement?

When figuring out carbs, you are supposed to start the main jet, then the midrange (washers), then the pilot. Basically, make sure you are starting off with the correct main. When that is correct, move to the midrange and make adjustments, then end with the pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    Hmmm I took out 1 then 2 washers and the low throttle miss is fixed but now I have it at mid/high range and when I rev it all the way out, it smokes a little

I now have it set with a 130 main, 3 .01 shims and 2.5 turns out on the pilot screw. It was at 130, 5 and 2.75 turns out. And i'm usually running at about 475ft above sea level.

PalmState, it is not my intent to be/seem critical. I had recently been involved in a discussion concerning what was termed a "lean surge". In order for posts to be as helpful for the reader as the author, sometimes additional information needs to be secured. If I understand your situation correctly, you had a bit of a miss at some low rpm (transition point). Can I assume this occurred after you changed your stock carburetor settings?

Seems the general rule of thumb is, one goes from the stock carb adjustments to; 130 main jet, idle jet turned out around 2.5 turns and needle raised an additional .03 (thirty-thousands). Again, I don't want to back anyone into a corner. What was your thought when you raised your needle .05 (fifty thousands) ?

Should we have an issue that we need help with, it will not only help you, but all that follow if you share as much detail as possible.... Again, when we talk of washers/spacers, it is clear that the measurement matters a lot. In my opinion, we need to give those numbers. To say adding or subtracting some, or two does nothing but create confusion.......... I would say you are likely on track PalmState. Remember, it seems a new (stock) sparkplug does wonders in smoothing out a 'very' minor hic-up in running or starting. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

I am an eternal optimist and take anything that may be seen as critical, as another suggestion/opinion that should be considered.

Yes. The bike was running fine when stock. It was popping under decel (lean) so I opened the pilot to 2.5 and it ran fine but I feel it is better to run a little rich through the whole throttle range especially since I do a lot of sustained wot. I went back to 5 washers today and ran it for a while with minimal problems. I will pick up a new plug on monday to see if that helps. Any suggestions for a better plug than ngk? Or should I stick with them?
    '86 BW80 farkled to size

Appreciate the fast reply. So as far as the needle height is concerned, you went from stock, to .05 ( 5 x .01 washers). You then stayed with the same 130 main jet, 2.5 turns on the idle jet but lowered the needle down to 3 ten thousandths washer (total .030). Today you went back to five washers which puts you back to .050 (5x.01). This was done to maintain an intentionally rich mixture for prolonged high speed riding to keep the engine a bit cooler.

I believe for the myself and the other two guys that mentioned putting in a new plug netted them a smoother engine, the new plug was indeed another stock NGK. Thanks, Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links