TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Sputtering Problem?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Gullyjumper 
#1 ·
One of my 2008 TW's has started sputtering when taking off from a stop sign.

It revs cleanly from mid-range on up, its just that if feels like its bogging down and stuttering when I take off.

I raised the Idle a little bit and that helped the sputtering, but now it takes 2 or 3 seconds for the idle to drop back

down to normal when I stop.

I've got the idle set at approximately 1300 rpm per the manual.

Any suggestions?

I opened the float bowel and it was clean with no signs of water or debris.

I may try some sea foam tonight.

Just overall feels like its loosing power compared to my other identical one.

I recently rebuilt the top end and had everything apart so I already checked the carb boot and the intake

boot areas for air leaks, and they all look ok.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Igofar

See less See more
#4 ·
1oz per gal. since my tank holds 1.8 gal, I simply rounded off at 2oz per tank. works great.

Now every time I do an oil change (1K) I add 2oz of seafoam.

Everytime I fill the tank when riding, I add 1/2 oz of marvel mystery oil to keep the top end

clean and lubricated.

hope this helps.

#6 ·
I just don’t understand all the additives and 2 stroke oil. What exactly do you think you are lubricating that the engine oil doesn’t? Tens of thousands of miles on conventional oil with no issues or additives and these stupid simple air cooled engines just refuse to quit.

#7 ·
top engine lube less wear on valve guides ,seats,and valve face (means less valve adjustment)keeps ring groove cleaner. I have a 98 Honda Foreman 450 With 4000+ miles on it and almost 2000 hours. Has never needed valves adjusted and has never had the carburetor touched. I use Marvel mystery oil ,Lucas ,Seafoam and Husqvarna mixing oil.Wish I knew how to type I’ve got a few stories I’d love to tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.