HELP, I've fallen and can't get up. A time to ponder - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: HELP, I've fallen and can't get up. A time to ponder

Never thought of using Word. This took longer than the ride. Doubtful it will happen again, but thanks for the ideas. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Thanks SkiPro, that is the technique.
    Great story Gerry, Mr Gizmo rides again!
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

Gerry, first off, I'm glad this worked out ok. Second, I work a rotating shift which makes week day rides possible. I would love to take a day tour in your area. Let's figure out a day and ride. I also ride a relaxed pace. We can help each other pick up sleepy bike

Joe
    joeband and mhomadness like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Glad you made it back to the keyboard...
    Gizmo was the name of our beloved Sheltie, may he rest in peace. Mr. was often a prefix to show respect and admiration as he advanced in years, but still was in charge of the entire operation.
    I love to ride alone, but I almost never do anymore. I've been injured in life-threatening sports when I'd have checked out had I been alone, and now I'm just getting old.

More great riding tips. Thank Jerry.

Joemama

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Yeah, pause and think is always good advice. I saw a great video showing lifting fallen bike using leg and core more than arms. Facing away from bike squat with fanny against mid-bike and one hand on handlebar, one on rear rack and lift with legs. I'll have to remember that .
    Gerry tells a good story, Anxious for more.
    The squat technique works! I once amazed a KLR rider with a broken collar bone by righting his bike (uphill, mind you!) using the squat technique. I'm not a big guy.

Still, picking up a bike from the dirt can be tough despite technique, weight training, or any other preparations.

Glad to hear you made it through your ordeal OK Gerry, that was a great read.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

hi gerry,

i'd sure take joemama up on his offer. i've found him to be at least a just ok guy...

i hope you'll come with us on the red bluff ride.
    mhomadness likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Good story, thanks for sharing!

The proper lift technique really helps, but sometimes the terrain and orientation of the bike make the proper technique tough to apply. Even as light as TWs are they still feel like they weigh 5000 lbs when they are on top of you in a ditch.

In backpacking they say "You carry your fears with you." Works in the motorcycle world for me as well.

My fears:
    Running out of gas. So I installed a bigger fuel tank and carry extra fuel.
    Getting lost. I carry maps, compass, and GPS.
    Flat tire. I carry a spare tube, patch kit, and tire irons.
    Break down. I carry a lot of tools. I carry a backpack as tank bag that can hold my spare clothing, stove, water etc (I'm generally prepared to spend a couple of nights in the woods if I'm forced to) so if I have to hike out a long distance I can still bring things with me easily.

The list goes on, but you get the idea. For me, it's really easy to carry more junk than what I really need in order to feel comfortable - but I'm of the mindset it's better to have it and not need it than the other way around - and if you have it you won't need it and vice versa. So it turns into a self perpetuating cycle.

Here's an item I bought to address my fea....*ahem* concern that I couldn't lift my KLR (500+lbs fully loaded) in a bad situation: Manual Strap Winch

I haven't had the "opportunity" to employ it in the wild, but if I'm going off the beaten path it's in the kit.

The most important thing to carry is your brain - assess the situation, think and then act. Doesn't always work out that way but when an initial reaction brings less than desired results the brain usually takes over and straightens things out in short order.
    joeband likes this.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    No problem fellas. The thread is taking lots of thinking and time. Unfortunately the forum times-me-out and I am loosing lots of text. I try to save and edit frequently, but still seem to loose and need to redo sections. Hopefully the amendments will be better than the first (lost) drafts.

Give me awhile, I will get it all in. Thanks, Gerry
    Gerry: I have a simple solution for your forum issues. When you wish to produce a long post such as this, just do the whole thing in a notepad (on your computer) or word processor, then copy and paste the whole thing into a post on the forum.

My KLX ready to ride is right around 320 pounds. I've been in situations with it where I have had to pick it up (quickly, because the gas drains out of the fuel tank vent hose...) on ridiculously steep hills. I know it can be quite a chore, especially when you're already tired from multiple attempts at conquering a challenging hill climb. 320# is PLENTY in situations like that - if it were over 350#, I'm not sure I could have done it, because it's been super borderline - pushing the limits of my strength. I'm also 140 pounds...

If I were you, I'd keep all that "crap" you carry around, and figure out a way to improve your ability to lift a dropped motorcycle (be it weight training, attaching a bottle-jack to your bike along with all the other stuff, or whatever). Cool story. Ride on, stay safe!
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200; 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX 331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Thanks to all... I think I have come up with an answer.

Adding wheels and making a hitch should not be a big deal.
    I would enjoy showing anyone around my neck-of-the-woods. Joe, I will PM you in a day or two.

Appreciate the bike lifting videos. I have seen them before, but did not think of giving it a try. Today I plan to try the technique in the front yard. Will try to video and show you all how it worked out. Also, while laying in bed last night I got a couple of ideas regarding a 'lifting bar'. Seems my day is pretty much committed to R&D and lifting practice. Thanks again to all. You Nor-Cal guy and your Cow Mountain provided me the inspiration to start putting some miles on the bike again. Gerry

P.S. just kidding about the engine hoist.
    Here is some additional information I gathered during the morning. As I have made a couple of videos trying to lift the TW using different techniques. The other is one of me lifting my XT225 in a pretty straight forward manner. I decided to weigh the TW, though certainly it can not weigh as much as a Harley. Here is a picture of my set-up. The results should certainly be in the ball park; front wheel reads 145lb and the rear wheel is 240lb.

Last edited by Gerry; 09-26-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    dogonit, howardgene63 and Fred like this.
    Take care my Friend.........

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links