HELP, I've fallen and can't get up. A time to ponder - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: HELP, I've fallen and can't get up. A time to ponder

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post

Isn't the original intent of this contraption to change a TW engine?

If you want difficult try bench pressing a TW off of your leg that is pinned under the bike. The leverage is all wrong!!!!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Tony is so right about the difficulty when TW is on top of your leg and you feel pinned like a bug. A quick casual ride with the wrong street shoes awhile ago resulted in me in ditch with bike on top of me, all tangle-footed somehow in fender/fork/ tire. I was unable to begin extrication of my foot until I could slip off my loafer. Maybe if I had my boots on my paw would not have found clever hiding place between tire and fender. Then again with boots maybe I would still be trapped there.
    I don't tell Mrs. Fred these stories as it just proves to her that solo riding is inherently dangerous.
    bananachunks likes this.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

frozen wasteland of the barren north ( Yukon Territory, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I don't tell Mrs. Fred these stories as it just proves to her that solo riding is inherently dangerous.
    Yup, some stories need to stay on the trail, the same held true when I was paragliding as well.
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=Fred;142280...........................that solo riding is inherently dangerous.[/QUOTE]

NONSENSE! I do it all the time!!!! Riding with other people that might crash into you, now that is dangerous!!!

<font size="2">

Boy maybe we can come up with a few self rescue techniques that may help others as well. A picture a couple of posts back shows how I was able to weigh my bike. I have a pretty good idea my bike weighs (385 lbs). The rear rack and case with tubes (all full) runs 52 lbs. Perhaps someone good with math can make a guess as to what that is leveraged out 40" from the base of the rear tire. Really, I think I have made it much to heavy for me deal with. Thanks Gerry

<font size="2">

Last edited by Gerry; 09-26-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    joeband likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

No need to worry just don't drop it .
    I too dropped mine this week. And first thing I did(after turning TW off) was look around to see if anybody saw me. On a dirt road with 2 house for 2 miles. Then I rushed to get it up, and flee the scene!
    Mine was on a sand berm. Front down rear up, worse part was I couldn't get back on it. I restarted popped it in first and walked out of the sandy berm turn. Still to much sand for kickstand, but I managed to get on. And promptly rode back to try it again!

Boy, the lift is easier said than done! Noble effort Gerry, you were doing everything as recommended but it obviously was not going to work. Maybe something to stop front wheel from turning and steering head from turning might help , but that is not enough. If I was in your shoes and faced a mandatory self-rescue I would unload what I could then actually dump some fuel as last resort before attempting squat lift again. I have certainly noticed that weight of full Xt225 tank on my TrailWagon hinders my attempts to pick up bike . For comparison my bike similarly loaded for mis-adventure comes in at 340 lbs vs your 385 lbs so you must have an extra kitchen sink hidden in there somewhere, probably under your radio.
    Thanks for showing it is not as easy as it looks on how-to demos. Now I have to consider formerly dismissed idea of a leverage bar, somehow use gravity as your friend.
    Wish I had better idea.
    Active Thumpers:
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Mr.Gizmo”
    Neglected 2-Smoker Hanger Queens:
    1981 KDX175 Enduro
    1982 YZ250G MX
    Hidden Content

I thankfully haven't needed to lift mine from a horizontal position yet, but this is a great tutorial. Thanks!

In attempting the use of a leverage bar/tube I put a 7/8" tube into a 1" tube. The material is 6061 T6 aluminium which is a reasonably strong material as used in bike frames. I attached one end to the my footpeg and had a looped section of cable holding the tube close to the frame between the end of the gas tank and beginning of the seat, as my setup has a bit of space there. The 5' tube took a lot of weight, but bent. I tried it once again with one of those forged iron bars you use to leverage concrete, boulders and tree stumps. It did not bend, but it was still VERY hard work. Needless to say, I ain't carrying no damn iron bar. Given all the beer I have been drinking, would have thought I would have gained more weight than the bike. As an additional side note; though not used during any of my trial lifts, I do have a length of Velcro strap that I have used in the past to apply the brake and lock my front wheel. This is a big help in minimizing any rolling of the bike during the lift process. I believe this addition would be good to add to your putting the bike in gear. Gerry
    Last edited by Gerry; 09-26-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    Tweaker likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

Gerry -- I lost count long ago how many times my TW has laid flat on the ground. What I do and whats works for me on my lightly loaded TW is make sure the front and back tire are pointed in the same direction, I grasp the left grip and right grip in their respective hands, and I lift just using the handlebars. For me, I have found if I let the front wheel turn left or right just a little bit it makes the lift harder. I must keep the front wheel pointing straight forward.

I have tried the "walk backwards/ lift with your legs" technique and got exactly the same results you did. Tony

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links