TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Admiral's Moab 2015 Video's

10K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  Hoot Gibson 
#1 ·
I will be posting all my Moab video's in this thread as I get them processed.

Day 1 ride from "North Camp" on the Sovereign ATV Loop (clockwise). After arriving at camp, we quickly got unloaded and setup and headed for our first ride of the trip. TW200 riders from around the U.S. gathered for a week or so of riding in the Moab, Utah area. With distances traveled, there were 2 groups. One with campers located at the North Camp off Willow Springs rd. north of Moab. The second group, mainly renting cabins was located at the KOA just south of town (the townies)! :) It was a great week of riding. Other ride video's I'll be posting soon - day 2 7 Mile Rim no video; day-3, Fins & Things/Porcupine Rim trail; day 4 - Hidden Canyon/Bartlett Wash; day - 5, 7 Mile Rim/Wipe-Out Hill trail/Gemini Bridges.

#2 · (Edited)
Nice to provide a frame of reference for this and your future videos Kris, gives value and meaning to those who could not attend the Moab Monkeybusiness. We all have been rather enthusiastic contributors sharing our post-trip enthusiasm that will soon die down, but these videos will last forever. Thanks Kris....another impressive video but I'm not sure I like the blurry fade from scene to scene; makes me think I need new glasses.:D You two certainly saw better riding than I when I was stumbling around out there, guess I missed that right turn also.

#3 ·
I don't like the blur transition either and didn't mean to use it, but I can't undo it and don't want to make another video of the ride. I would have to edit 10 different clips of varying lengths from 19 seconds to 20 minutes. That's too much for me so I'll let it go as is, but won't make that error in the future vids.

You guys went the opposite direction than we did. I saw your tracks, but we missed each other when I went off-course for 45 minutes:eek:. Lori got us back on track!

#5 ·
Moab 2015 Fins & Things Day 3 Morning

BRug14468, here's even more proof we all should get out and ride!:D

After camera issues on day 2 7 Mile Rim Trail (no video), I discovered the battery was dead and needed to be charged. Today I placed the camera on the handle bar mount and plugged it in to the power outlet. We started Day 3 riding Fins & Things. We were initiated to some steep, but great traction slickrock right off the bat. Once we got use to it, there was some fun riding to be sure. After lunch we transitioned to the Porcupine Rim Trail. We didn't ride the whole trail, but enough to fill the days riding dance card. From the top of Porcupine, we rode Sand Flats road back to the trail-head to complete our day. Boy it was fun. Enjoy!

#7 ·
Did the arrows on the ground at 55 seconds to 1 minute mean you were going the wrong way?
I can't be sure, but I think the arrows have something to do with a bike race, marathon or something like that. Also, on the Nat Geo maps I have, there are symbols on the map for bikes to go a certain direction as well.

Course this all is a guess, but didn't really have anything to do with the direction we rode. I haven't posted the afternoon video of this day, but if I were to ride it again, I would ride the porcupine rim trail the opposite or downhill direction, on the part we rode. We didn't ride the whole Porcupine Rim Trail. I don't think it matters what direction you ride on Fins & Things either.

#8 ·
Admiral, your bike sounded kinda funny, a little loud? Lean? Or Valve adjustment needed? Could just be me, but it sounded different than most video's you do? Just thought I would mention it... Reassure me, so I don't have to worry about you breaking down somewhere..

#9 ·
Well, since I replaced the needle seat o-ring, it has been running a little lean and it was down in Moab too. Wasn't running quite right, hard starting once in a while, slight backfire sometime, not all the time. I changed plugs down there to confirm it was lean, but nothing I could do. The other day I looked at the plug again, still a little lean, not horrible and flashlighted the piston. Looked good. I've adjusted the air fuel mixture quite a ways out with no change. I also had the carb apart again with all the jets, air fuel mixture ok, float level confirmed good. PM'd forum member who stated I need to probably should give it the high frequency carb cleaner bath. Weird thing is it was running just fine prior to the o-ring leaking real bad. Forum member suspects the leaky o-ring was allowing for a richer running condition.

Now having said that, I think the real culprit in the bad sound is the fact I have to have the camera door off in order to plug in the charging cable, which was connected to the power outlet. The camera sound is pretty distorted already (and in the past) when it's mounted on the handle bars with the door on. Taking the door off even makes it more pronounced in picking up noise. So I think that's why it sounded louder than normal.

Rode the TW to a track meet last night, 25-30 mile round trip, at 55-60 mph. Gonna go out and look one more time at the plug. 99% sure carb coming off, but giving it one last chance to correct itself by just sitting in the shop overnight.

Oh, and I checked the valves and their fine, no adjustment needed.

#10 ·
A slight intake or exhaust leak? (backfiring)

#13 ·
Believe my lean condition is getting sorted out. Yesterday before I rode into town, I adjusted the air fuel mixture. It was 2 out as when I bought it. I went to 2 1/4 ran better. Checked the plug this evening and my plug is now getting the favorable tan color. I then confirmed my timing was good, and adjusted the timing chain. It was off. I then adjusted the A/F to 2 1/2 and went for a test ride. All seems back to normal. No backfiring or any other problems. I'll keep checking the plug before every ride till I'm confident my carb has stabilized. Sigh of relieve!

#11 ·
Checked intake, ok. Will check exhaust today also. On a positive note, the slight hesitation I was experiencing is gone! Hesitation microscopically off idle was pretty bad when the o-ring started leaking!

#12 ·
I notice the mighty Admiral sails confidently through the sandy bits that gives so many others the wobbles. Nothing like the experience that comes from living and riding in a place called Sand Hollow.
Kris, let us know if your new narrower front tire seems superior in the sand as some claim. You are going to be my go to guy for sand riding advice.

#14 ·
I'm sure I wasn't the only rider who liked riding in the sand. Few years ago I was too scared to ride on the sand like "they" all tell you too. Kept practicing building up confidence. Now the sand doesn't phase me. Not that I still couldn't tumble, but I like it now. Once you get use to standing up and letting the TW or any bike, do it's thing under you, then you got it licked. Folks gotta listen too and practice, practice, practice the sand riding techniques. And yes, it doesn't hurt to have a place called "Sand" Hollow to hone the skills.

Haven't changed the tire just yet, but when I do I'll let you know how it works.

#15 ·
I'm glad I mentioned something. I just didn't think it sounded right.

#16 ·
What do we do now, our weekend ride leaders Ron and Bodie are gone. Our ship has no Captain. Maybe an Admiral, but we all know they are desk jockeys right! However, I had a map! I make fun of myself trying to lead the group. This video is the first part where we rode to Tusher Tunnel and then Hidden Canyon. The canyon was too sandy, so we turned around and rode the Hidden Canyon Rim trail. Towards the end of the segment, we hit more sand. Since no one's been here before, we didn't know what the trail would be like ahead. Bill was riding 2up and the sand was taking it's toll on him. With the kindness of 2 other riders, they turned around and headed back to camp. We would not let anyone go back alone. The rest of us continued...for a while!

for TWilight. Who has a prominent role in the humor I try to inject in this video!

Enjoy

This post has been deleted
#17 ·
Very very nice Kris. A week later and hundreds of miles away and you and Mike can still make me laugh. Good show Ace Navigator!
The camera's helmet mount certainly picks up less of the funny engine noises that had us concerned in the previous video. Excellent resolution too, with very little vibration unless you were shaking your head "Noooo".

Reactions: admiral
#23 ·
The handle bar (ie more sound & vibration) is my backup camera location. I didn't even intend to use it and when I did it was when plugged in charging. At least that did work, but I should have charged the camera prior on a couple days. Battery life is actually pretty good if fully charged at the start. So when in the backup position, there is more vibration and I have to take off the back cover to plug in which allows a lot more noise to be picked up.

In the end, I'm really glad my dual-sport helmet mount worked as well as it did. I normally don't wear this helmet, but brought it down in case it got cold. Turned out it was just fine and I like the internal sun visor too. Now if it's really hot I ain't gonna wear it and I'll go back to my basic helmet. Glad you enjoyed the humor.

#25 ·
If hind sight is 20/20, everybody should have been forewarned on my navigational skills. In the very first video on the Sovereign Trail I went past the turn. We even told this story. They should'a known!:p

On the Sovereign trail, it wasn't long before I sensed we were not going the right direction. But I just had to keep going, that is until we ran into the Arches National Park marker indicating no motorized travel! At least there was no mob waiting for me on this one threatening me to walk the plank!:D

Of course I make fun of this and we were never lost, but makes for a great story line.

#21 ·
Excellent video quality throughout! Was this shot with your normal camera? Wow that place looks like so much fun. Minus all the sand that is.

Tom

#27 ·
Yep, this is the same camera I've been using for over a year now. I've never complained about the video quality, except when mounted on the handle bars, which I don't like myself. Audio is to sensitive with the biggest area of concern when it's windy. It picks up the wind.

The whole Moab area is 100 times better than I thought. I think my perception was it would be hot and dusty without being able to really see anything unless you paid to get into the nearby national parks. Boy was I wrong and glad I was. I will have to warn anyone who rides off the main roads, your gonna hit sand at some point. From what I've heard and read, I think I was the only one who actually enjoyed the sand. Normally it wasn't really that deep, but you did need to pay attention. I'm so glad I have the sand here to practice in, though it wasn't for Moab. I didn't think Moab had sand, only rock!

I highly recommend Moab.

There will be a bit more sand, ok a lot, in some of my upcoming video's from Moab. It just takes a little practice and a little confidence and you'll be able to ride sand no problem. Of course I wouldn't have made this statement 2 years ago! Practice paid off.

#28 ·
I think the sign said no bicycles too, but not sure on that. I reviewed the footage on the sign, but I just couldn't make out the no bicycles part for sure.

#30 ·
Part B of the Hidden Canyon ride. We find the part of the trail which leads us out of the canyon. We ride above the canyon for a short time before intersecting with Old Deadhorse Point Rd. We ride this road for a mile or so and turn left on Bartlett Wash Road. This will eventually connect us to our original route. We also make a brief stop at the old Halfway Stage Station on our way back to camp.

#31 ·
Great stuff Admiral – those of us who couldn’t make it appreciate you taking the time to edit these vids and post them up.

Some pretty confident riding too – 3:10 on the sand in the last one – a bit faster than I would have taken it given that you’re in the middle of no-where.

Quick question: How where your spokes after some of those “raised rock” areas ?

#32 ·
Glad you've enjoyed them. ldmccain was also recording and I hope he posts some of his footage as well.

After practicing for the past several years to gain confidence riding in the sand, this year it just clicked. Most of the sand roads weren't deep, but the Mill Canyon road towards the end in this video was the exception. I can now honesly say I enjoy riding in the sand and am not as afraid of it anymore.

Spoke inspection? Good point. Funny, I did inspect them prior too the trip and should do a follow up. TW is 10 years old now and spokes have held up with no replacements or adjustments needed prior to Moab. I'll give it a check. On that note however, are the front forks. Many of us experienced our forks bottoming out much more than in the past. No doubt most of this was due to the riding terrain being much rougher (raised rock or steps). Idaho Larry added more fork oil and that helped him. Few months back I had added 3/4 inch spacers with the rest of the stock components and that helped a lot, but did not eliminate bottoming out. I thought I had blown a fork seal after the first ride, which was suppose to be an easy route:), but it turned out the seal just needed some debris removed. No problem the rest of the trip. The motocycle shop over here, Procycle, sells some heavier front and rear springs. I may go that route in the future. I also added a 3/8 inch +/- spacer to the rear shock. This worked awesome with no problems what-so-ever.

#34 ·
I heard that sometimes they have some bicycle/running events down there and wonder if some of the arrows are for that. I also see on my Moab Nat Geo map that it directs bicycles only, to go a certain direction on a trail, so maybe that could be a reason too.

#38 ·
Last Day Part A Moab 2015 7 Mile Rim to Wipe-Out Hill

I think Moab is getting ready to break up with me!:(

Part A, last day. Gonna re-visit 7 Mile Rim trail for some that missed it the first time. Then we'll head down Wipe out Hill Trail to Hwy 313 were we'll ride a short distance on the side of the road (ATV) until we connect to Gemini Bridges road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.